12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Weird Trans problem on 47rh (95 3500)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird Trans problem on 47rh (95 3500)

I start up and drive and everything is fine (I just did the TPS and it was low and I got it to .90 and it shifts at around 55 now...the connector was messed up and I had to fix the pins to make contact better because they were intermittent.

Ok, before adjustment it had the symptoms of TPS of doom...dropping out of OD and so on...But it also had a different problem which didn;t go away once I adjusted the TPS....The truck shifts fine 95 times out of 100 going from 1st tio Second and about 60% of the time going from 2nd to third, and about 20% going into OD. When it DOESN'T work fine, it drops out of say third...and there is no shift for like 1 1/2 to 2 full seconds, and then it shifts into OD, or SOMETIMES back into 3rd. Obviously this is REALLY annoying...it doesn't get worse like the tranny is dying, and it doesn;t get better really either...I THINK it has done it a few times in 1st to second, but maybe not, and I know it has done a few times in 2nd to 3rd...but it USUALLY happens in 3rd to OD. And again, not shifting in and out, and not slipping once it is in gear, but like I pushed a manual clutch and held it..."One Mississippi, Two Mis"-SHIFT, and then it works, unless it shifts back to 3rd (usually on uphills) in which case it has to do it again, sometimes 2 or three times before it shifts to OD. If I am towing the 5er it is really awful as I often have the pedal further down and so this "Out of Gear is with the throttle 3/4 way down or whatever.

The trans has been doing this for like 8 to 12 weeks now at least...it's REALLY annoying, but seems to be otherwise not a fatal flaw. It DOES however make me not want to drive it often...Also we're going back on the road with the trailer again in 10 or 12 days, Going from Southern Cali to Northern, which is hilly and could even be dangerous with this stupid problem...

Now one other thing, I'm having the Valve Body done (probably replaced by whatever you guys tell me rocks and gives best bang for the buck...Searching in like 5 minutes) and a new Billet single disk beefy TC. So this is it...while it is in the shop...what do I tell these people? And does anyone happen to know if there is a really truly Dodge TYranny Guy type in San Diego CA area???

Anyway, enough for now,
James
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One added thing....

On the way out to San Diego from Texas, over by Van Horn I think...I had my tranny cooler line blow out, and it was leaking a LOT...I used a full gallon and kept it full as best as humanly possible till I reached the next exit, and then I patched it (badly) and made it to the next town with an Auto Parts store. During that time I'm sure it ran VERY low at least a couple times, maybe even empty, but once I put the rubber hose in to patch the problem up, it seemed to run ok, but my wife she thinks that was when she FIRST noticed the hesitation between release and shift...

Please guys, what am I looking at? And Will doing the TC and Valve Body fix it? Or is there something else I should definitely be looking at?

James