12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

variable mechanical valet

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb variable mechanical valet

How bout this:

For those who like as little electrical as possible and more mechanical stuff how about instead of an electric solenoid for the valet option why wouldn't a small valve like a ball valve and a control cable or rod that is operated from inside the cab work? Then you would have a variable valet all the wile being completely mechanical. I think one a quarter turn ball type valve would probaly work and a PTO cable or actual rod type linkage and various pivot points for proper alignment, what do you think why wouldn't this work?
Old 03-12-2005, 07:24 PM

When I saw what the valet switch actualy does, I also thought that a simple ball or needle valve would have done the same job. Have to pop the hood for adjustments unless you run it in the cab..........
Old 03-12-2005, 07:33 PM

how much would the switch cut power? if you have a 500Hp truck and put a switch in it whats the power going to be? From what im getting from this all the switch does is slow the fuel down right? but you need some amount of fuel to keep the truck running right.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:49 PM

I'm workin on a varible unit that can be controled from inside the cab.

Just haven't had time to fool with it lately.

: Eddie :
Old 03-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

I did a search on valet switches and from what I read they cut 150-200 horse when in operation. The things sound like a great idea I'm just not a big fan of electrical control devices and much prefer mechanical. The only real issue I read about with the solenoid valet switches is they're either on or off. A real plus would be an adjustable and I also read that one of the DTR members sells adjustable valet switches, but for me I prefer mechanical not calling down the electrical stuff, just prefer mechanical.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

BUt so far do any of you see why mechanical wouldn't work? Are the (electric)valet switches just inline between the supply and the AFC? If so I would think a mechanical would work right
Old 03-12-2005, 08:13 PM

The valet switches just limit fuel into the pump? I noticed my truck lost power once and later when I checked it out I found my manual shutoff had binded and wasn't opening the pump all the way. Unbound it and went on my way. I would think it would be rather easy to put a checkvalve with a lever arm connected to a choke cable or some sort of mechanical device to control it from in the cab. In fact, sounds like a good idea. I've already got 2 choke cables, one for high idle the other for the shutoff, a 3rd wouldn't be much more of an intrusion, but I never let anyone else drive it, so not much use for it lol.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:14 PM

FYI, theres a member here....his handle is 1dslram....he makes and sells (I believe) an adjustable valet (but I think its electric).

The valet switch cuts boost does it not?? I didnt think it had anything to do with fuel.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SmokinFive9 4x4
The valet switches just limit fuel into the pump?
The valet switch cuts the pressure signal from the manifold to the AFC which then does NOT allow the governor arm to get close to the plate, kindalike putting it in "limp" mode from what I understand. Of course the "limp" mode isn't the same for all, depends on how much power your already making from what I understand reduces HP output by 150-200 horse, perfect for next winter with my future bombs
Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Ahhhh well it still could work with the line from the manifold to the AFC. Same principle I guess.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Banned

I'll look at some valves tomorrow at work, the one I have in mind is a brass 1/8" male pipe in and out with a 1" or so long thumb lever ball valve. The only thing is that the valve is pretty tight unless it can be loosened up a little or it's gonna take a rod to actuate the thing. HMM
Old 03-12-2005, 09:21 PM

Ball valve won't work.

Think in terms of water.
It will slow down the flow but the pressure will still be there just slower.

JMHO

Old 03-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

Ahha so once the pressure is finally there, it's there. But still could work as an on off valet right?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bulthisl
Ball valve won't work.

Think in terms of water.

JMHO

So correct me if I mis-interpeted, once pressurized no more flow just remains pressurized till the valve is shut off? Or do you have to shut'er down to deplete pressure then fire'er back up and pressurize to the shut valve putting it back in valet mode
Old 03-13-2005, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bulthisl
Ball valve won't work.

Think in terms of water.

JMHO

How about if the ball valve was used as a bleed valve instead. The signal therefore being bled off so AFC wouldn't see full pressure until bleed valve was closed off, therefore being variable to a certain degree.

Quick Reply: variable mechanical valet