12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Turbo- Compressor options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Turbo- Compressor options?

Hello,
I'm in need of a new compressor. Truck has been in the garage for almost 5 months now, taking my time with the tranny rebuild and anything else that needs fixing.

Its all my own fault. I got bored one night and started taking the turbo apart to clean and inspect. Well I forgot to put the snap ring back in (behind compressor wheel) and when I ran it I heard a screeching sound. I finally found out it was the compressor wheel hitting the housing. Needless to say I needed to rebuild it anyway, too much endplay.

I have the service manual, and everything seems to be within specs. Question is, whats the cost difference from upgrading to a 60mm wheel and housing versus just getting a new wheel? The stock housing is just lightly scored, but I was thinking a little more air couldn't hurt.

Next question is where can I get the rotating assembly balanced? Everyone I talk to around here won't give me the light of day without doing the whole service. I'm in southeastern Mass. btw. Thanks for any help guys!