12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Truck will not go above 2300RPM!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck will not go above 2300RPM!!

I also posted about the valve adjustment causing 11 MPG but today something else came to my attentionThat something else is happening. The truck will not go past 2300RPM no matter what. I have not messed with the timming , it is at the stock setting. I drive this truck super easy, so easy in fact that i dont normally go above 2000 RPM much. That being stated Today I got on it a little to get through a intersection and I lost all power above 2200 RPM. Like I said I go very easy on it. Maybe when I first put the plate on I drove it harder. Today I noticed and further tested the problem, and my truck in gear it will not go past 2300 RPM!!! I cannot force it to go past this even with the pedal all the way to the floor. I know for a fact that it did not used to do this. It is like there is a rev limiter only I now there is not one. Hopefully someone can help What in the heck is causing this. Thanks in advance Wayne
Old 12-22-2004, 09:43 PM

Does it smoke when you put it to the floor and only hit 2300 rpm? If it does, you have injector problems or late inj timing. If there is no smoke, the governor is cutting off the fuel to maintain RPM's. In that case you probably need to replace the gov springs. Also check to make sure the gas pedal is pulling the linkage arm to full throttle. Sometimes the cable wears out and restricts the travel or something gets in the way binding the linkage.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:57 AM

What springs should i put in? stock or otherwise. I also read that the prefilter screen gets clogged. I have had the truck since 84K and it is at 102K now. and I haver never cleaned it. I didnt even know that it existed. AS far as the smoke is concerned I will look for it, and the linkage. ALL the suggestions are appreciated. this is the first problem I have had and it is great to get so much help from basically strangers Thanks Wayne
Old 12-23-2004, 05:53 AM

The pre filter can get clogged, I guess , but I nerver had had that happen. I pulled mine twice and was always clean. Cat is right, and I would suspect throttle linkage, timing, or governor springs. My first thought is timing. My wife's truck has a little trouble there, and that's what I'm checking first.

..Preston..
Old 12-23-2004, 01:07 PM

Can the timing jump? It did not used to do this say a few weeks ago.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me it sounds like your fuel system has a problem. Clogged filters/screens or possibly a bad lift pump or overflow valve. These are basics that need to be checked first. Also the throttle cable check like mentioned above is a great idea.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:41 PM

OK I just came back from a shopping trip and discovered that it only does this under load, Meaning it only goes uo to 2300RPM when it is in gear. When I push in on the clutch it will go up to 3000RPM which is redline. Does not sound funny or anything. nothing in the linkage seems to be binding up, I checked that. How can I check weather it is fuel related being a lift pump or as mentioned overflow valve. Or if it is the govener springs, Will they (govener springs) act like this or will they cut off the RPM's no matter if it is under load or not? as far as smoke is concerned it is extremely hard to tell right now with the cold weather there seems to be a light smoke almost at all time. I payed close attention to the way it accelerates and it is very smooth & pulls very hard(like it always has been) all the way until 2300RPM then it falls flat on its face. Thanks againg for all the input Wayne
Old 12-24-2004, 06:56 PM

ok , longer highway trip today. Sudden hugh amount of white smoke(I mean alot like spy hunter amount) when it hits 2200~2300 RPM and total loss of power if I keep my foot in the throttle it goes down in rpm and looses even more power if i let out of it for a second or so then ease back into throttle it will start to pull again untill it hits 2300 RPM again. My top speed with this happening is about 57 MPH it is a 5sp. ALSO I was mistaken I am only getting 14 PSI of boost max. I did pull the factory Air filter for a test run and it does the same thing. I of course put it back in since it did not help the situation I noticed this today the throttle is not smooth like it was before in my earlier posts. If I'm just sitting at a stop out of gear and rev up the motor which will go to 3000 RPM it does have a miss typr of sound/ feel As I posted earlier I did not notice this before. I dont know how much this affects all of this but it is about 10 degrees here I did put in some(4oz) "power service" Diesel fuel supplement that prevents gelling when I filled up earlier this week. HELP Thanks again Wayne
Old 12-25-2004, 03:34 PM

Hello does this narrow it down ?
Old 12-25-2004, 08:48 PM

No expert but my thinking is you may have a couple of issues ganging up on you. The timing sounds like it's a little low. Could have slipped a bit.

Cold weather plays havoc on diesels. If you had access to a heated garage get it good and warm, then take it on a quick drive to see if it runs better, that might tell a tale.

And on that vain, does it get up to temperature with the cold weather you guys are having? I'd pull the fan, and block part or all of the radiator for the winter, heat is a diesels friend in cold weather. Do a search on running fanless,lots of reading.

Also, check the linkage. Last summer I noticed a gradual loss of power over several days, then one day I could hardly pass a slow turtle. Checked under the hood and a bolt that holds part of the linkage was way out, cutting the available linkage travel by about 1/2. Have someone work the throttle while you watch things to see if it looks ok. Another check is to have them hold the accellerator on the floor, then see if you can move the throttle rod any farther to the front of the truck.

Good luck, RJR

Another thought, make sure the boost line hasn't come off the back of the afc housing, or developed a leak.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:51 PM

Well twoweeks1, any luck, did you find anything, I am wondering what the problem was. Hopefully you figured it out, and all is well again. I was just wondering for future reference for me or others I know.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:08 PM

Wayne, I don't know if this will help, but try reading here to see if there is anything you can use: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1
Tom
Old 12-29-2004, 12:38 PM

back running

Well I borrowed my freinds pole barn and tore in the truck. The pre-filter screen wasnt very dirty, but i replaced it anyway. The fuel filer wasnt that bad(I replaced it about 6000mi ago),But I replaced it anyway. I ran the valves(much easier than i thought) they were all pretty close actually(More later). AND the overall problem was the OVERFLOW VALVE on the injection pump. NOW the valves. Most of the intake valves were ok I only had to barely adjust 2. The exhaust were pretty close also the loosest one was #3 and it mesured .023 instead of .020. But I still have the ticking sound. one freind suggested that a injector can make the sort of noise. The truck pulls hard and does not fall on it face like before. If I rev it up not in gear it does kinda sound like a miss but if you put it in gear and stomp on it you dont feel a miss. I tried to get upclose to the motor and listed for where it is comming from , but when you are under the hood you cant really distinguish where it is comming from. Like before it onl;y does it after about 1/2 hour of driving(operating temp), and if you barly touch the throttle say (800RPM) it goes away. any Ideas? THANKS for all of your help Wayne
Old 12-29-2004, 01:10 PM

Use a pipe to try to locate the noise. Put one end against your ear and then move the pipe around trying to locate the source of the noise. Of course, be careful of spinny and grabby bits towards the front of the engine that might want to yank the pipe out of your hands, whacking you and various other things in the process.

Tad
Old 12-29-2004, 02:57 PM

Ticking may be the lift pump. Mine get noticeable in colder weather. I believe you've been getting some cooler temps lately.
A ticking lift pump is usually not a problem. If the pump fails it can let the push rod slap and cause damage.

Quick Reply: Truck will not go above 2300RPM!!