12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Transfer-Case life expectany? Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer-Case life expectany? Miles?

What is the life expectancy of the "Transfer-Case", and/or what symptoms suggest the TC needs a rebuild? I have only 245,000 on mine, and only use the 4x4 only for distances of about 5 to 10 miles at a time. And if the tc needs a rebuilt, where or what do you do to rebuild it?

just wondering, as I want to keep this truck for a long time. tks
Old 04-07-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Well they hold up pretty good if you change the fluid in them once in a while. Shifting "on the fly" uses the syncronizer to bring the front driveshaft up to speed with the rear, so will result it a little bit more wear than shifting at low speeds.

That said, my DLD has close to 300k miles on it. I recently had a problem that has been lurking for the past 100k miles and finally showed up. My fault, installed the wrong input shaft on bad advice, but it had chewed up some of the aluminum case. Bottom line is I was able to repair it for less than $100 in parts and seals, and everything else inside was in great shape.

I've been plowing for the past 12 years, it's gone through a few sled pulls at the local fairs, pulled I don't know many cords of wood with it, etc. I've changes the fluid probably 10 times, and never shifted it while moving until the posi-lok cable was installed.

Most problems are from lack of oil, or the output shaft snap ring came apart.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RoadDiesel;3324693]What is the life expectancy of the "Transfer-Case"

the planetary gears ought not to ever wear out. The np 205 is a verry sought after TC. If yer lookin to rebuild or upgrade it off Road design has everything your lookin for. I put the twin stick shift rails in mine which allows you to engage you front and rear ends separately along with standard 4x4 plus putting your rear in 2 wheel low. Just takes a little reading took me about 6 hours to rebuild mine- tear down, cleaning, and reassemble.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
[QUOTE=copp collins;3326408]
Originally Posted by RoadDiesel
What is the life expectancy of the "Transfer-Case"

the planetary gears ought not to ever wear out. The np 205 is a verry sought after TC. If yer lookin to rebuild or upgrade it off Road design has everything your lookin for. I put the twin stick shift rails in mine which allows you to engage you front and rear ends separately along with standard 4x4 plus putting your rear in 2 wheel low. Just takes a little reading took me about 6 hours to rebuild mine- tear down, cleaning, and reassemble.
Judging from the dudes sig., which list a '94, he would have a NP-241 DLD or DHD T-case not the NP-205 which you just described.

The NP-241 is not as rugged in my option, but with regular fluid changes it should last a long time. The chain stretching and getting sloppy in the common issue with them. That and cracking the thin aluminum case.