12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The plug that is bad has eight wires.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure thats a 47RH? Sounds like a 47RE. An RE is all electronic. The 47 RH only has 3 wires for shifting and 2 wires for the temp sender in the cooling line. Plus it has wires for the speedometer.

Was this plug right above where the shift linkage goes in the trany?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM

I will look again in the morning to be sure, but there were two connetors on the trans, one on top and one on the side they both were close to each other. I will look and see how many wires the other had but the one on top had eight wires and also is there a way to identify what type of trans it is like a serial number anywhere on it?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by dguru
Are you sure thats a 47RH? Sounds like a 47RE. An RE is all electronic. The 47 RH only has 3 wires for shifting and 2 wires for the temp sender in the cooling line. Plus it has wires for the speedometer.

Was this plug right above where the shift linkage goes in the trany?
Its a 97, so it would be a RE.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It should definitely be an RE, and without that connector, the PCM has no input from the governor to allow any upshifts.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Ok, great thanks for all the help, now does anypne have a parts truck laying around with that connector that they would be willing to part with?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:36 PM

I was under the truck today and noticed that there is a sensor on the front axel close to where the vacum lines for the transfer case run. I would like to know what that sensor is for mine was unpluged and heavly caked with dirt and grime. Also there are four vacum lines that run to my transfer case one red, one black, one green and one grey. The green and the grey are not being used and are left uncapped. I would like to know what they are for.

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rks1
I was under the truck today and noticed that there is a sensor on the front axel close to where the vacum lines for the transfer case run. I would like to know what that sensor is for mine was unpluged and heavly caked with dirt and grime. Also there are four vacum lines that run to my transfer case one red, one black, one green and one grey. The green and the grey are not being used and are left uncapped. I would like to know what they are for.

Thanks.
You're looking at the vacuum motor for the axle disconnect. The sensor is for the 4WD lindicator light
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Thanks, so the two that are unused are that way from the factory?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:48 PM

Thanks, so the two that are unused are that way from the factory?
Cannot answer. Been too long since I've worked on a 4wd. Barely remember the front axle.

Back to your transmission issues. Yes, that bad connector will definitely screw up the 1-2-3 shifting as well as overdrive and converter lock-up. It sounds as though your tranny goes into limp mode (direct to 3rd) as it cannot get any reading from the pressure sensors. I don't think the supposed tranny rebuild was a reputable job if they didn't notice the bad connector. Probably only got a filter change and possibly a band adjustment.

Sourcing Dodge connectors loose is very hard. Dealers usually only can order them in a harness plus they want a fatted calf in ransom. Possible a transmission shop can source them from Sonnax or other parts houses.

Did you order the manual from Genos Garage?
http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=17
Old 01-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Yeah I have the service cd ordered, and you have to drop the truck in first to move it other wise it acts as if it's in high gear. I bet your right about the trans being in limp mode. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Yep, the 47RE is mostly mechanical, but pressure is controlled electrically as is TCC and OD.

You are in this truck way cheap, go to Genos and get a service manual for it.
Hope this isn't off topic from the thread, but could one use a 47RE transmission as a replacement to a 47RH in a 94-95 truck? In other words would it be easy to get the 47RE to function correctly after it's all bolted up as far as connecting the factory wiring harness(es) from the 47RH equipped truck to the 47RE unit? Thanks for any replies.

Sal
Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RamW350 dually
Hope this isn't off topic from the thread, but could one use a 47RE transmission as a replacement to a 47RH in a 94-95 truck? In other words would it be easy to get the 47RE to function correctly after it's all bolted up as far as connecting the factory wiring harness(es) from the 47RH equipped truck to the 47RE unit? Thanks for any replies.

Sal
Nope, sorry.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:07 PM

Well looks like I need a new cas, i don't think i have ever seen this much caked on grease and dirt in my life.

Without the cas working will trans functions be impaired?
Attached Thumbnails Trans problem-truck.jpg   Trans problem-2.jpg   Trans problem-3.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 AM

Well looks like I need a new cas, i don't think i have ever seen this much caked on grease and dirt in my life.

Without the cas working will trans functions be impaired?
CAS? Do you mean the CAD from the front axle?
Transmission function is completely separate from the CAD. If you fix the transmission wiring issues it should function normal. That assumes nothing wrong with the transmission.
The CAD unit simply disconnects the right axle similar in theory to a single locking hub. The sensor feeds back to the PCM to light the 4WD indicator light. The sensor also connects to the ABS and turns it off when in 4WD.

The amount of grime on the engine front may be a cracked timing case from the infamous killer dowel pin.

Quick Reply: Trans problem