12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

tranny still shifts at lower RPM since 3K GSK

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
tranny still shifts at lower RPM since 3K GSK

The tranny still shifts at OLD RPM setting (2700) and does not take full use of the extra 300RPM I gained with the 3K GSK before shifting.
It also seems to shifter even sooner and softer at 'normal' driving.
This BD trans has 135K on it.
thanx, DAVE
Old 05-26-2005, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crossy my man if u get this question answered ur da man!! i am comtemplating the 4 k gsks i am ready to order them anytime in fact but my impression is i wont be able to shift up in the higher rpms at WOT...so where's the fun factor in that??...once again the 5 speed guys get all the fun unless someone tells me its doable to shift at 3400rpms with a 4k gsk

one guy mentioned to me that u should be able to possibly do it shifting up through the gears manually and holding the gear till the rpms u want...u try that and let me know...if its doable like tha5t im gonna order the gsks today!
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are going to have to drop the pan and adjust the part throttle shift point and adjust the full throttle upshift points. You might get a few more RPM's out of it by tightening up the TV lever cable by the injection pump.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:03 PM

Rebuilding the valve body is the only way to get good results on changing your shift points.
The RH and even RE transmissions shift at predetermined points based on valve body internals. Being you already have BD trany components I suggest contacting them for a VB exchange.

Yes, you can manually use the selector to shift at higher engine rpm, but that gets old very quickly.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Mr.T: Just go ahead and order it You wont be sorry. The truck is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more driveable after the GSK. My truck will hold ANY gear to ANY rpm it will turn with the gear manually selected by the dhifter so i dont see why yours wouldnt. You will be sorry you waited this late to order it. Youw ont gain any performance by holding out shifts anyway. Even though it may not turn many more rpm's than before at WOT, it will still be trying to pull hard past that rpm which in turn makes great use out of the stock converters stall speed. My truck is almost as fast now with tthe converter unlocked as it is locked. Its still a decent bit faster locked, but its MUCH faster unlocked after the GSK. Here is my run at the drag strip a few weeks ago. You can hear it rev pretty hard in first if you turn the volume up pretty good.

Video:

http://dmaxperformance.com/downloads/Cumminsdriver.wmv

Eric
Old 05-30-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
alright I've been away a few days . the tranny can be manually shifted but it only works in the first two gears. once in 'D' it goes quickly into O/D at the same lower RPM unless you have the O/D button pushed. When you start out in with O/D button aready pushed the truck is much quicker but top speed limited to 75MPH. the best ET for me will be to start with OD button locked then release O/D at about 65MPH.
.I towed my 5700# 22' camper with it this weekend and what a difference if you manually hold out the gears. I also scratched the tires hard from a dead stop when hooked up. (HEAVY! traffic I had to enter).

I still want to call BD about pressure. the tranny seems to shift softer now.
DAVE
Old 05-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Eric i dunno why i waited this long either after watching ur video thumbs up buddy
Old 05-30-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you're talking about the mph when the tranny shifts into 4 locked it can be adjusted by a dealer reflash even on the RH. I had mine done when new, increased the mph from 47 to 55.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by mr T
Eric i dunno why i waited this long either after watching ur video thumbs up buddy
Thanks for the compliment. Its not that fast but will out run most stock trucks gas or diesel. I wish i could show you a run without the converter locked(that run was with the converter locked so it only wound fairly tight in 1st gear). If i had my own digital camera and could do it I would probably have all kinds of nice videos but i dont. It sounds pretty awesome wide open with the GSK though Just go ahead and order it and be done with it cause you will love it . You will feel like your driving a whole different truck every day. They rev like a gasser with the GSK.

Eric