12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

tranny conversion, auto to 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny conversion, auto to 5 speed

I have a 1995 4x4 automatic that I bought recently with 82,000 on it. Want to keep it for a long time and considering the possibility of converting it to a manual (5 or 6 speed). Mechanically is the fit a possibility, and what about the engine management. I figure that the 12 valve can be fooled to convert to the manual easy enough. Am I wrong. THis has probably been discussed at length, but I am new to the forum, so steer me to an older link if this is old news.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:13 PM

This is exactly what i want to do. Many will jump in here and tell you to just trade in your truck on a 5-speed. If your truck is stock and nothing special to you, that is probably the best idea. If you have time and money into it, or another reason why you want THAT truck, then the conversion seems very possible and not too difficult.

Here are the basics. What you need:
-5-speed transmission & bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, hydraulic clutch system (master & slave cylinders), pedal assembly, and shifter & boot. You will most likely also need the transfer case (the input splines may be different for an auto and a manual...not sure), and driveshafts (trans length is most likely different).

I did a couple auto to manyal conversions on other vehicles, including a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I did the transmission in a weekend, including pedals and clutch linkage. Your truck will take a little longer because its more complex.

The transmission itself is no more difficult to put in than the labor to replace a clutch and have the flywheel machined. Remove driveshafts, t-case, crossmember, transmission, and flexplate. Install the flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch, transmission, crossmember, and transfer case, then the new driveshafts. Remove the pedal assembly in the interior, remove the rubber grommet covering the clutch master cylinder hole, and install the new pedal assembly. Put the master cylinder in and run the hose down to the bellhousing and install the slave cylinder.

The auto doesn't send any signals back to the PCM other than the speed sensor, which gets installed in the new transfer case. Your truck (and my '96) have hydraulic transmissions, not electronic, so the wiring for them is pretty simple. Just leave the extra wiring unhooked, covering the plugs to keep moisture out. Unhook the cooler lines from the radiator and external tranny cooler and block off the holes.

I know I'm probably leaving out a few details, but I haven't done a transmission on a CTD yet.

Jim
Old 08-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Banned

conversion

The shaft in the transfer case can be changed out to work or that is what I have been told. I think that Blementhal in OK has the part to do that 1-800-236-4800 . A web sight for transfer case info, www.transfercase.com
To make the cruise control work I think you have to change out the pcm. If you go to a six speed you can still use the 94-98 slave cylinder as they are suppose to be better than the 24v 98 and up. I think that Jim Leonard in Torrington Cal has the complete parts list and parts numbers to do the conversion. He has done several conversions and has a lot of information. I have spoke to him a couple of times and he is allway willing to help me. Good luck on what ever you choose. Jim