12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tools

I'm getting ready to order some tools to work on my 12v, I know I will need the timing kit with a dial indicator to set the timing. I also want to change my injectors, but do I really need a inj. puller to remove the injectors? I saw that there were wrenches for the injection pump, will I need them?

Thank you for any help to come.

CRIS
Old 11-14-2004, 04:26 PM

I have a 95 12 valve with a Bosch pump and I used the existing timing locators in the rear of the pump gov and the KDP. I used a small steering wheel puller to pop the pump gear for timing, and carefully used crow foot on injectors. Just make sure you don't **** them on the way up. Make sure you cover ALL open inj fittings to keep dirt out. Possibly stuff a rag in access hole for pump gear access BEFORE removing the nut and washer so you don't have to go trolling for the nut/washer in the gear case. Make sure you torque the pump nut to spec when done or you will do it again on the side of the road. Good luck

Howard
Old 11-14-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You won't need the pump wrenches unless you need to remove the pump, even then you can get by without them.
What I use for pulling 12 valve injectors is just a 1/2'' PVC pipe coupling cut to 1-3/8 long, steel or 3/4'' pipe will work also.
Just slip the pipe over the injector after the lines are removed and screw a lug nut from your front wheel onto the injector, same threads. You will barely even need a wrench to pop them out this way.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Banned

So all I really need to get to do it the easy way is the kit (SP500) that snap-on sells and the rest I can use your ideas for the injectors and pump. Now what about the valve spring removal and valve lash? Snap-on sells a adj tool for the CTD for 74.95 (V22A) that has the tq built in and fits under the dash, and the valve spring compressor for 42.50 (YA3271) which is about the same price as the KD tools I saw in another thread.

Thanks for all your help, "KEEP ME STRIGHT"
I don't need to Edit my truck up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Admin
Old 11-15-2004, 05:33 AM

Check with whoever buy your valve springs from, many include a compression tool with them or sell one cheap.
The valve adjusting tool is nothing more than a tee handled nutdriver set at one torque. Nice but not necessary, you can get by with a torque wrench and have other uses for it.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Banned

Thanks I think I'm going to just order the snap-on timing kit that way if anyone else in my area wants to do the same work I can help. We don't have any real diesel repair shops around here, except for a big truck shop. I'm shur I'm not the only person in eastern N.C. that wants to bomb a 12v.

Any other help will be great.

THANKS AGAIN, CRIS
Old 11-16-2004, 04:27 PM

I have the snap on timing kit. works good. Also have the injector puller it is also a nice kit, but this stuff is high dollars! The valve adjusting tool is probaly for old 855 cummins injectors to set the preload. I have a snap on valve adjusting tool that loosens the jam nut then you can turn the set screw all in one tool it also works good!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Banned

Thanks INJECTOR JACK

Those were what I was going to order but everyone thinks I should save my money for other things, but I,d rather have the tools to make the job easier.
This probably won't be the only time I use these.I think I'll get the timing kit,valve setting tool and the spring compressor.

CRIS
Old 11-16-2004, 04:44 PM

get a barring tool, it is worth the 30 bucks, i have pulled my pump without any special wrench's, just a bunch of 6" 1/4 extensions. i have the snapon sp500 timing kit, well worth the money. mike
Old 11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

gunracer thanks that was the first tool I bought. Now for the big money !!!!!!
Injector puller will come when I buy my injectors. I'll also buy all 4 adapters for all years 89-2005 incase someone around here needs help with another year.

CRIS
Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 PM

I would not waste your money on the valve set tool, a stuby screw driver and a wrench works just fine. I would get the baring tool and the timing kit. Also a good set of feeler gauges are nice to have. I like the snap on ones that are off set.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Jack

Thanks for the input I'll go with it, I don't mind spending the extra money because I know I,ll use them over and over again. I have so many tools now and only buy more when I need them for a special job I'm doing for someone. This is a great reason to buy some more

CRIS
Old 11-17-2004, 10:10 AM

the injectors are a joke to pull, i would invest that money in beer. a piece of tube and a lug nut just works to well.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 PM

I don't think the injector pullers most outfits sell will fit to do the back two injectors. You'll need the pipe and lugnut anyway.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:56 AM

Cris will make some of his money back on tools from me, that's for sure...

Quick Reply: tools