12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Timing help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing help!!

Hello,<br> Well I found out a week ago that a seal had failed in my injection pump and was filling the crankcase with diesel fuel. So I studied my options and purchased a new injection pump and decided since I had done fords and chevys that I could do this. I followed the instructions in my book to a T and aside from having to man-handle the pump out of such a small area the removal and installation went well. I timed the engine to the pump using the pin on the cam gear and the pin in the injection pump. I read in my manual where this only gets it close and that the pump needed to be timed with a micrometer. Since I do not have those tools I opted to have someone else do it for me. So i slightly advanced the pump till the truck was able to start and run. I then took the truck to what was supposed to be a reputable shop here in Las cruces New Mexico and asked if they could time it for me. The truck was running well when it went in except for some white smoke on start up which was not bad. <br> The shop spent all day on it and finally called me told me it was timed but was smoking white terribly at high throttle levels. I went to pick the truck up and it ran worse. They told me that they timed it using the pins three times and that they could not figure out why it is smoking WHITE so bad Then they told me it was probably because of my #6 plate and that i should remove it. I think that they're nutts and that my truck is so de-advanced that it is burning the fuel cold. It should not be able to run right if the pump is not advanced to 12.5 degrees correct which is what is on my data plate. Sorry for the long story but I wanted you all to know the facts I need some consulation on the matter. I am a fairly descent mechanic and I think I am right please correct me if I am not. :P Thanks Ty<br>
Old 02-07-2003, 10:15 AM

Re:Timing help!!

The timing is retarded, the white smoke is the proof. That timing pin can be 3 degrees out. It is fine for finding TDC for valve lash adjustments, but not for timing. With a number 6 plate, have the timing set to 15.5 degrees. If you can R&amp;R the P7100, then you can time your truck. Either Snap-On or Miller have timing sets. I have the Snap-On, SP500. When you had the front gear cover off, did you tab the dowel pin? Oh ya, you are right.<br>John
Old 02-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Lon

TBGH is right, it sounds as if your timing is retarded. I also have the SnapOn SP500 Timing Kit and have seen what retarded timing will do. Seems to run fine at idle, but smokes like crazy, bring rpm's up and gurgles like its being flooded with fuel. Leave your plate, it is not your plate. If you can come up with a timing kit here is the timing procedures and lift chart for your truck. Let us know on your progress. Lon<br><br>http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/18-10-94a.htm<br><br>http://www.piersdiesel.com/P7100Timing.htm
Old 02-07-2003, 02:27 PM

Hey,<br> Thanks for the reinforcment guys. i knew I was right. However when a supposedly cummins trained technician tells you your wrong, you tend to think that way cuase you are'nt a cummins tech. I met a guy through a friend though that has the timing kit for my truck and he agreed to help me time it. I am going to advance it so that i can retain the full benefit of my plate. Thanks for the info on the timing I will be sure and use it. I am glad though that when I checked the KDP i noticed that the upgraded housing had been installed too so that is a definant plus. I'll let you guys no how it comes out and thanks alot. TY