12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

timing cover: gasket, permatex, or both?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing cover: gasket, permatex, or both?

working on installing new front crankshaft seal...

I've read a number of accounts of people still having leaks after re-doing the cover... I have a gasket from Cummins and some Permatex ultrablack.

Should I use one or the other or both?
Old 10-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I always use Mopar gray will never leak again. Torque all bolts to 18 ftlbs, are you going to use sleeve on crankshaft? Make sure crankshaft is clean and do not use any oil or grease.

INSTALLATION
1.Lubricate the front gear train with clean engine oil.
2.Thoroughly clean the front seal area of the crankshaft. The seal lip and the sealing surface on the crankshaft must be free from all oil residue to prevent seal leaks.
3.Apply a bead of Loctite 277 to the outside diameter of the seal.
4.Install the seal into the rear of the cover using a plastic hammer and the alignment/installation tool provided in the seal kit to prevent damage to the seal carrier, hit the alignment/installation tool alternately at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
5.Install the pilot from the seal kit onto the crankshaft.
6.Using the pilot as an alignment tool, install the cover and a new gasket.
7.Install the cover bolts and tighten to 24 N·m (18 ft. lbs.) torque. Remove pilot tool.
8.Install the oil fill tube and mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 43 N·m (32 ft. lbs.) torque.
9.Install the vibration damper. DO NOT tighten the bolts to the correct torque value at this time.
10.Install the belt tensioner. Tighten the mounting bolts to 43 N·m (32 ft. lbs.) torque.
11.Raise the belt tensioner to install the belt.
12.Tighten the vibration damper bolts to 125 N·m (92 ft. lbs.) torque. Use an engine barring tool to keep the engine from rotating during tightening operation.
13.Install the fan drive assembly.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty sure my local store does not carry the Mopar stuff... Think the Permatex will be ok? So just the rtv and leave out the gasket?

Also, I was not planning to use a sleeve, but I don't know how to tell if one is needed or not. The shaft stub does seem like it may be slightly grooved, but how do you know if you need the sleeve or not?

Also, I did not remove my belt tensioner... Did not see a reason to... Why do they say to take it off?

Originally Posted by BigIron70
I always use Mopar gray will never leak again. Torque all bolts to 18 ftlbs, are you going to use sleeve on crankshaft? Make sure crankshaft is clean and do not use any oil or grease.

INSTALLATION
1.Lubricate the front gear train with clean engine oil.
2.Thoroughly clean the front seal area of the crankshaft. The seal lip and the sealing surface on the crankshaft must be free from all oil residue to prevent seal leaks.
3.Apply a bead of Loctite 277 to the outside diameter of the seal.
4.Install the seal into the rear of the cover using a plastic hammer and the alignment/installation tool provided in the seal kit to prevent damage to the seal carrier, hit the alignment/installation tool alternately at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
5.Install the pilot from the seal kit onto the crankshaft.
6.Using the pilot as an alignment tool, install the cover and a new gasket.
7.Install the cover bolts and tighten to 24 N·m (18 ft. lbs.) torque. Remove pilot tool.
8.Install the oil fill tube and mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 43 N·m (32 ft. lbs.) torque.
9.Install the vibration damper. DO NOT tighten the bolts to the correct torque value at this time.
10.Install the belt tensioner. Tighten the mounting bolts to 43 N·m (32 ft. lbs.) torque.
11.Raise the belt tensioner to install the belt.
12.Tighten the vibration damper bolts to 125 N·m (92 ft. lbs.) torque. Use an engine barring tool to keep the engine from rotating during tightening operation.
13.Install the fan drive assembly.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
I used permatex Red, hasn't leaked one drop in thousands of miles.