12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Timing cover ...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Timing cover ...?

Hi Guys
I just ordered my dowel pin kit for my truck , I had posted in the past about my cover looking like it was off , but the rest of the motor shows no signs of being worked on.
I figure that they did the dowel pin kit , but I am not taking any chance's , my question is since the cover dose have gray rtv all around the edge , I'm figuring I should put a new timing cover gasket on ...? and if I'm buying one of them I should also get the crank sleave ... just in case .

Do I need a puller for the harmonic balencer ... I have a puller and instal tool , they have been collecting dust .

Thanks guys

Greg
Old 10-18-2005, 11:24 AM

No, you don't need any special pullers (that I can remember). I tabbed mine about four years ago in my garage and I didn't have anything special. Just take your time and it actually if fairly easy.
Tom
Old 10-18-2005, 11:40 AM

Just finished my KDP last night. (4) 15mm. bolts hold on the balancer. Remove the bolts, and the balancer slides off the end of the crank.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 AM

Smile Gasket alinement tool

Hi Guys
I was reading a post about a alinement tool for the timing cover ... someone said somthing about using some plastic ... can anyone explain ...?

Thanks

Greg
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 AM

I bought my front seal from Cummins, and the alignment tool came with the seal. Basically the alignment tool, is a round piece of plastic, which one end fits the inside of the seal, and the other (larger) end fits over the end of the crank. You then press the seal over the plastic ring, and onto the crank. It's main purpose is to ensure the lip of the seal is not damaged on the front of the crank, when you install the timing cover.

Visit the TST web site...they have very good instructions about the seal, in their KDP change instructions.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:03 AM

ALSO...I did not remove the fan as TST described.

I hit the 36mm hex (1-7/8") with a punch, and spun it off (LEFT HAND THREAD).
Then removed the pulley and belt.
Then removed the fan mount.
Put a piece of cardboard between the radiator and fan, and then just used a bungee cord, and held the fan up against the radiator...no need to pull it out.

TST and other directions I have run accross have you taking overflow containers off, and other messy things...saw a tip on here about strapping the fan against the radiator, and you have plenty of room to do the job...they were right.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greguw
Hi Guys
I just ordered my dowel pin kit for my truck , I had posted in the past about my cover looking like it was off , but the rest of the motor shows no signs of being worked on.
I figure that they did the dowel pin kit , but I am not taking any chance's , my question is since the cover dose have gray rtv all around the edge , I'm figuring I should put a new timing cover gasket on ...? and if I'm buying one of them I should also get the crank sleave ... just in case .

Do I need a puller for the harmonic balencer ... I have a puller and instal tool , they have been collecting dust .

Thanks guys

Greg
Ur tools will be

just your basic 15 mm socket, a breaker bar, and 10 mm sockets for the most part, you might need a 16 mm for the RPM sensor removal, but dont quote me on it. You dont need a new gasket, infact the RTV sealant works great, just make sure you enough on it all around. The kit comes with the alignment tool to get the actual seal in there, it was a piece of cake to do using an old drill press for me. The balancer comes off with the 4 15 mm bolts on it, which you will need a breaker bar for.. (or as i did the first time my balancer came off, i had a GOOD quality ratchet and some round tubing for leverage on it.)

make sure u get plenty of sealant under that part of the timing case to minimize your leaks, and a bit of advise that worked for me, if your breaker bar wont break the bolts, i used a piece of thick reciever square tubing that was long enough toget to the ground in one of those grooves on the balancer and it prevented it from turning any farther allowing you to break the bolts to loosen..

My experience talking, hope it helps you

Tx
Old 10-19-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi Guys
I was reading a post about a alinement tool for the timing cover ... someone said somthing about using some plastic ... can anyone explain ...?

Thanks

Greg
Seal comes with the alignment tool but some folks find the job much easier to do if you cut the heads off a couple bolts the same size as the ones that hold the cover on and hand screw them in.
Makes cover alignment a piece of cake, you won't smear RTV all over the place.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Smile Re: bolts

Hi guys
Would assume the cover bolts are 6mm thread , 10mm socket... I like that idea ... I'll grap a couple metric studs from my buddys cycle shop .

Thanks Guys

Greg
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM

Don't forget to tighten the timing cover screws while you are in there. A couple of them are hidden behind gears but if you rotate the engine the holes in the gears will let you get at them. There are 6 in total if i remember right. I pulled mine out and cleaned them with brake cleaner and reinstalled with loctite.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM

RE: Timing screws

Hi guys
Dose anyone know the torque spec's for the timing screws...? What grade loctite ...?

Thanks
Greg
Old 10-20-2005, 03:11 PM

Hi guys
Dose anyone know the torque spec's for the timing screws...? What grade loctite ...?

Thanks
Greg
I believe they are at 18 ft lbs?

Dont quote me on that tho, and i used the loctite that came with the kit from TST, just bought some more at store...

Tx