12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Things to worry about at 280k

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to worry about at 280k

Hey guys I am new to this forum, I never post. I just read and try to figure things out for myself. Anyways, I finally found me a 12v however its got 280k on her. Shes an auto, single cab long bed 4x4. I have a two other buddies with dodges, one a 12v, one a 24v. Asking them, they are saying thats alot of miles on a cummins to start doing free mods, injectors, delievery valves and stuff like that. What are some things I should be asking other than whens the last time the trans was rebuilt, and was the dowel pin fixed?
Thanks in advance
Travis
Old 04-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Banned

its good to know but the last time the trans. was rebuilt dosn't matter you're gonna tear it up regardless. kdp just because they say its done dosn't mean it is check for yourself. how much blow by? whats the front end like? any vibration at hwy speeds? how does it start when cold? any odd smoke out the tail pipe? what does the coolant look like? has it been moded before, afc tampered with? any leaks? mainly front cover leaks. those should get you goin.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:17 PM

be sure its had valve adjustments made. Also you should worry about everything else except the motor. At least on a 12v there is much less electronic things to fail. I bet the newer electronic trucks wont be around near as long as the old 12 valves have been
Old 04-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Very true. I havent looked at it yet. I just want to make sure its worth looking at. Its got power everything. He says everything works. He has no idea on the trans or the dowel pin. Bone stock, never modded. He just bought a 3500 so he has no use for this anymore. Its about 45- to an hour from me. He just did new rear end gears (ring and pinion), starter, tires, calipers and u joints on it.
I have a 2 pictures of it.

Again thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 05:09 PM

So you finally joined huh? If you wait til I get my truck back from the tranny shop we can drive down and check it out.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Ha been a member for awhile reading up on ****. Also been a member on cumminsforum.com for awhile just to read ****. Where the hell are the free mods? I keep searching and find nothing.
And I might go saterday. My bike needs to see. Id have some cash to get it if it runs.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

search you'll find them try free mods
Old 04-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
i have 279,000 on mine

i have a bad harmonic balancer $146.00, some small oil leaks i am chasing ,replaced tps 216.00 napa , 1 bad power seat motor , not avaliable seperatly at dealer , bad track bar 350.00 to upgrade ,engine runs good but may have some blow by ,new tires 550.00 ,title and taxes here 265.00, need to service trans and shift kit 150.00 . new washer bottle seals 9.00 ,replase woren stearing wheel 35.00 jy ,replace right rear light pig tail 15.00 jy ,left rear door speaker 15.00 jy ,6 cans gunk degreaser 17.00 , 35.00 worth of light bulbs oil filter 10.00, oil 38.00 fan clutch 50.00 a.z. and i am sure i forgot some other small stuff.
neglect these trucks and they will cost you !
Old 04-15-2007, 09:14 PM

Man that makes me worry about buying a money pit.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Blitanicle99
Ive done all the free mods and can show you what needs to be done...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM

That's not too bad...

Anytime you get a vehicle where someone has put off maintenance/repairs for some time, there is a backlog of them. Once you clear them up, the upkeep isn't that bad.

My '97 has 209k miles on it (337k km), and it runs like a charm. I've put a decent amount of effort into fixing things the previous owner let fall behind. I have no doubts it would run again what it has already run.

One thing that is seldom mentioned: check the fuel tank straps, I had one break on me - which is scary, as there are only two holding the whole tank up, and it appears Dodge has since made revised straps.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Q

on the other side, the guy i bought my truck off of, let someone who didn't know jack about this truck work on it, (he replaced the gear case due to KDp, didn't replace the KDP, no lock tite and looked to just throw the pump back in wherever, it was timed way above 20* BTDC, engine was very noisy, with no power, he claimed the trans had jsut been rebuilt, by the same guy, the trans lasted 3 days, had 215000 mi when bought) The truck now has all those things fixed, plus the normal wear items, rides quiet, runs great, and made 355RWHP and 900 RWTQ last weekend. It also has 264500 mi on it now. Gets 23 MPG highway also. I expect to keep this truck for the long haul, i've already owned it longer than any of my other vehicles, and i still smile every day i drive it. I don't expect to have to put any big money into it for a long time, except to fix rust and a dent.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Yeah... I just dont want a money pit. Its the model I want, motor I want. I would prefer a manual to be completely honest but I dont know how well I could find one for the price I am looking for. Basicly my story in a nutshell. I have a 99 Tacoma TRD 4x4 lifted, looks good, runs great, could drive to alaska and back right now. Im sort of a tall guy, only 6'2'' but I sit very straight in my seat, its just the way I drive. I cant wear a hat in my truck when I drive... The seats arent that comfy, I am constantly adjusting and I average probably 16.5 mpg on 32 inch tires that came with it. It rides alright... when I have a trailer it blatently sucks and my gas goes to more hell.
Lots of stuff I dont really like. Now the truck only has 86k on it... So moving to a truck with **** near 300,000 miles is leap of faith from hell. If I could pick it up for a like 5 grand I would love to but 300k is alot. Im gonna need this truck to drive 190 miles trips twice a month or more. Thats just school and back. I cannot even risk this truck not being dependable. I will be living out of my truck on alot of weekends. Little things that break, when I am so far away from a *********** are bound to go wrong.
I will only have one vehicle, and a 4wheeler. I wont have an extra vehicle I can use. And being so far away from home and my friends constantly that could A. Tow me somewhere, or B. help me in a pinch if this sucker broke down worries me.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments Appreciated.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Yeah... I just dont want a money pit. Its the model I want, motor I want. I would prefer a manual to be completely honest but I dont know how well I could find one for the price I am looking for. Basicly my story in a nutshell. I have a 99 Tacoma TRD 4x4 lifted, looks good, runs great, could drive to alaska and back right now. Im sort of a tall guy, only 6'2'' but I sit very straight in my seat, its just the way I drive. I cant wear a hat in my truck when I drive... The seats arent that comfy, I am constantly adjusting and I average probably 16.5 mpg on 32 inch tires that came with it. It rides alright... when I have a trailer it blatently sucks and my gas goes to more hell.
Lots of stuff I dont really like. Now the truck only has 86k on it... So moving to a truck with **** near 300,000 miles is leap of faith from hell. If I could pick it up for a like 5 grand I would love to but 300k is alot. Im gonna need this truck to drive 190 miles trips twice a month or more. Thats just school and back. I cannot even risk this truck not being dependable. I will be living out of my truck on alot of weekends. Little things that break, when I am so far away from a *********** are bound to go wrong.
I will only have one vehicle, and a 4wheeler. I wont have an extra vehicle I can use. And being so far away from home and my friends constantly that could A. Tow me somewhere, or B. help me in a pinch if this sucker broke down worries me.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Comments Appreciated.
Any vehicle can leave you in a pinch, unfortunately. In 3.5 years and 100,000 km, my truck has failed to start only once - when the batteries died. I have never been stranded anywhere with it. Of course, I take good care of it... when the starter started clicking, I fixed it before it stopped starting, etc.

If you avoid modifying it a tonne, get your auto properly fashioned, and ensure the driveline remains in good repair you should be good to go. Like any vehicle, proper preventative maintenance and routine inspection/attention to the vehicle pays big dividends.

Quick Reply: Things to worry about at 280k