12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Starting and Stalling and all over again....

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting and Stalling and all over again....

Hello everyone,
I have done some searching and found:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=starts+stalls
This thread is exactly what I have.
The truck starts with a foot on the accelerator and it fires up well. But the rpms and engine just drop to stall out. At first it was really fast but after reading and searching on here, I took off the fuel tank cap to see if there was too much vacuum and I also disconnected the air intake to see if I was getting a restriction there. The truck started and held rpms for about 5 seconds and then dropped to stall out. The next thing I looked at was the fuel pump. I currently have a fass on there that pours the fuel out. I ran the pump and it was pressurizing the hose pretty good and the return line had fuel exiting. But just to make sure, I took off the hose and the fuel comes out pretty good. The next thing I will do is change the fuel filter.

This just happened. Yesterday I was moving the truck around the yard and this morning the truck does this stalling out thing. I hope it is just the overflow valve.

The truck will barely start by itself. I need to push the accelerator to get it fired up. It will go up to and sometimes pass 2000 rpms but it then drops after 1-2 seconds to stalling out. It doesnt stall out immediately but rather cascades down to stalling. Giving it fuel doesnt do anything.

I would appreciate any help as I need the truck to get to my two jobs.

Thanks.

DK
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a new overflow valve does not fix the problem, it could be the injector pump. I just ordered one P7100 from
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM

well,
After spending about 4 hours of work on the truck, I have it going pretty good. I left the mechanical lift pump on the truck incase this happened. I put more fuel in the truck to make sure I didnt look stupid. I also changed out the fuel filter and checked each line to see what type of fuel stream was coming out of each.
The truck would run okay for a couple of seconds but then do the same thing that had been happening....stalling. So, I saw that if I left the truck for a couple of minutes, the truck would run a bit longer than if I just tried to start it again and again. I switched over the pumps (from the fass to the stock lift pump) and the truck runs great. I fuel a lot higher in the rpms than the fass pump. The fass pump seems to put out fuel pretty good but I will have to test it out at a later date to see how it flows.

In conclusion, I believe that my alternator is going bad because of the way the truck was acting. I will bring the truck into a shop and see what the alternator is doing.

Thanks for the link to the pump on ebay. I will keep that in mind in case I need one down the road. Thanks

DK
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Doug, did you also change out the pre-filter?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 PM

No, I didnt check it but good idea. I will check it to see what it looks like but I am thinking more and more that it is the charging system that has a problem. I think back and realize that my lights have been very dull. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I will be able to get it tested. Thanks for the help.

DK
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dk,, you pulled the fass off and the truck runs okay ,,,, this was the problem i ran it ,,,the fass was sucking my pickup closed in the fuel tank and when i put the factory line on to check it ran fine ,,, so i droped the tank and installed a 1/2 pick up ,,,, haven't looked back