12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Smoke rehashed again/worried

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoke rehashed again/worried

Hi ya'll, been gone a couple of weeks, Atlanta to Richmond, VA, first long trip with new truck. Made 20 mpg on way up, 75 mph, bunch of stuff in bed. Pleased with that.<br><br> What's botherin' me is the smoke I'm getting on start-up. It's definitely blue, sometimes more whitish if I feed in a little more fuel, but there seems to be a blue color to it. In my little mind blue means oil burning and that's the part that scares me. Haven't noted any outrageous oil consumption, also truck didn't do this until the weather got colder.<br><br> Top end been run (was pretty much good), new fuel filter, new fuel lines, and the oil in it has about 2k on it now and still looks pretty clean, so I don't think there's any major ring blow-by. Nor does the oil smell like it's fuel contaminated.<br><br> I do think pump timing is off; little stumble at 1500 rpm that gets better as rpms and load go up, also exhaust doen't smell quite right at idle; a little rich or wet smelling, not sure how to describe it.<br><br>So basic questions are: Is blue smoke as bad as I fear or just a sympton of cold natured engine with possibly off pump timing? Is there anything in the oiling system I need to check that could be causing this?<br><br>I'd appreciate some input guys; got a bag of parts in from Piers' while I was gone, but don't want to start with those until I clear this up a bit, even if it's only in my head.<br><br>Good to be back,<br>Rob
Old 11-30-2002, 10:37 PM

Re:Smoke rehashed again/worried

[quote author=CMNS_PWR link=board=16;threadid=7716;start=0#74048 date=1038716615]<br>Sounds like a combination of the pump timing and the catalytic convertor. When I still had my cat, I had the same problems (though no stumble, the two are unrelated) with the smoke. Kill the cat and have the timing checked and/or adjusted to ~16*<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yup same here!!!!
Old 12-01-2002, 12:01 AM

Really dumb follow up

OK then, do I have a cat on a '95? I thought that was a resonator or something (refering to part in between what I think is the muffler and the downpipe; looks like a smaller muffler).<br><br>Ignant tonight, but trying,<br><br>Rob
Old 12-01-2002, 06:46 AM

You definitely have a cat ..... just forward ot the muffler ... take that thing out! And while your taking exhaust stuff out ... take all of it out and put a 4&quot; straight pipe in from yout turbo to your talipipe ...... You'll love it!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:00 PM

blackboat<br>My truck was that way when I bought it. Sounds to me like it is a timing problem. The white smoke is kinda eye burning isn't it? It also has a stumble or a miss until it warms up a little, right? I retimed mine to about 16deg. and it made all the differance in the world. Setting the timing can be a real PITA without the proper tools. As far as the cat--- Mine did plug and boy was that a tough one to figure out. I discussed it with Piers and Al both at PDR and they were scratching their heads too. I pulled mine and gave it an &quot;enema&quot; (1&quot; masonry drill bit 18&quot; long) and reinstalled it so it looks legal. I also pulled the muffler at the same time. <br>Good Luck <br>Tom
Old 12-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Jrr

Mine is in a box just in case the clean air cops get me. Dodges idea to stink up the environment. The eye burning, and nose watering smell will go away also when you remove it.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:23 PM

Blackboat,<br>I'd say your problem is timing related, but it could also be the overflow valve causing the smoke. Cummins considers the overflow valve and injectors to be 100,000 mile tune-up parts. Here is a link to overflow valve info Dave Fritz web site/Overflow valve