12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Science Fair Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Science Fair Project

Hey all,
If you dont know, i am a senior in high school. I am in many advanced college level courses, and because of this i have shot myself in the foot. I have to do a required science fair project. Well i used my noodle and came up with a proposition on diesel performance. I have been cleared to do this for my project and the science department head thinks that my project will win the regonal fair. I have hit a road block in my studies. I have very limited funding for this and i cant go anyfurther with the mods, unless i spend the money that is gone now(my transmission blew up). If anyone has any other ideas that i could pursue to create more changes, or if anyone has "spare Parts", that could be purchased cheap or "Donated" (probly able to use as a tax write off) please let me know. So far i have all that is in my sig done to the truck. I am looking for more ideas than anything.
Thank you very much and sorry for the life story,
John
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your science project?

A science project around these parts requires testing a variable to develop a theory...

I like the tax write-off idea, though. Bet the IRS would love to find that one on an audit.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 PM

Return her back to stock then but all your mods back on so everyone can see what a difference it makes.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM

lol, i am studying the effects of modifying a diesel engine. I am collecting data using my guages, i will be dynoing, and my hypothesis is basically, Changing variable x will increase, heat, give more torque, and horspower. Variable x so far is, the afc foot removal, & the fuel plate. My other hypothesis for the second test is that by advancing timing, gains in top end hosre power will increase, exhaust temp decreases, and better fuel mileage....

no one said they had to be right but i know most are

It is a great idea, calling this my science project, gives me reason to bomb the truck. Well enough reason to get the parents to let me keep going
Old 02-03-2007, 09:07 PM

the only mod i cant undo is the fuel plate, i ground down the plate to a 100......
Old 02-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramdriver15
It is a great idea, calling this my science project, gives me reason to bomb the truck. Well enough reason to get the parents to let me keep going
Dude, you need to get into politics.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Dude, you need to get into politics.
lol whats that? I have no interest in politics really. I am more interested in the outdoors, and automobiles, heck, anythign with wheels or a motor that goes....lol
Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 PM

i have a extra stock fuel plate if you want it e-mail me with your address and i will send it to you plowboy8982@aol.com
Old 02-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ramdriver15
lol, i am studying the effects of modifying a diesel engine. I am collecting data using my guages, i will be dynoing, and my hypothesis is basically, Changing variable x will increase, heat, give more torque, and horspower. Variable x so far is, the afc foot removal, & the fuel plate. My other hypothesis for the second test is that by advancing timing, gains in top end hosre power will increase, exhaust temp decreases, and better fuel mileage....

no one said they had to be right but i know most are

I think you may have got in a little deep on this one. I love the idea and I'm sure you will have a good project but if you really want to take this one far you are going to need more than just pyro and boost.
It would be really neat if you had somewhat of a Mass Airflow sensor and IAT so you could add the airflow CFM and air temp/density respectively. Then you could find out your fuel press/flow. With those extra variables you could get some more accurate and detailed results.
Well I'm just typing my thoughts so, good luck and I think we all want to see your results. Makes me wish I could do something similar as a career, lucky guys like Don M and such!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM

Just hook a few schoolbuses and drag them around the block. See how many you can tow Before and After a fuel plate. If that don't impress them, you can try this:

Title: CTD vs. Powerstroke: Which one is better?

Purpose: To put a Powerjoke to shame once and for all.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigNasty
I think you may have got in a little deep on this one. I love the idea and I'm sure you will have a good project but if you really want to take this one far you are going to need more than just pyro and boost.
It would be really neat if you had somewhat of a Mass Airflow sensor and IAT so you could add the airflow CFM and air temp/density respectively. Then you could find out your fuel press/flow. With those extra variables you could get some more accurate and detailed results.
Well I'm just typing my thoughts so, good luck and I think we all want to see your results. Makes me wish I could do something similar as a career, lucky guys like Don M and such!
for the school fair i will use the basics, but those are some very good idears... ill have to look into that.