12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

ring and pinion replacement???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ring and pinion replacement???

what can i expect to pay for a replacement on a front axle?? i am lookin at a 98, 4x4...should i just replace the axle or is it cost effective to replace this??
Old 10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
RCW

Re:ring and pinion replacement???

The cost of the parts depends on what you select. I would recommend you contact someone like Randy's Ring and Pinion (www.ring-pinion.com) and price out the needed components with a professional.

Pick up a Chilton's manual on the Spicer or Dana differential, and you will be able to see what is involved with the change and adjustments. The work is not difficult, just requires patience, the proper tools, and careful measurements when you do the set-up. Most gear suppliers sell the needed tools, but they can be rented from the larger rental shops for a lot less.

In my experience, a ring and pinion will run you a few hundred dollars. A new axle will be well over a thousand, and without discounts probably closer to two thousand.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:46 PM

you can pick up 4;10 gears for 20 to 50 bucks on e bay. they pull them out all the time to go to 4:88 and 5:13s. how did you wear them out? i just had a friend of mine replace his dana 70 gears at a shop. all new everthing spicer brand, labor included. 700 bucks at a shop here local.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Banned

I would say that of all the things NOT to buy on Ebay, the R &P would be right up there at the top. You should go with a name brand, and bought from a known dealer. If you want to end up with some reject go to Ebay. Look you will spend alot of money when you rebuild the front axle, you do not want to be doing it again. Go to a good drive line shop, make sure they have guys that are very knolegable on this type of work. While it is apart, buy what is needed, bearings, seals,ect. Saving a buck or two, is not what you want to accomplish here, you want someone who will repair your axle right, for a fair price, and with the assurance of the job done right. I would suggest you call RANDY'S RING AND PINION, WEST COAST DIFFERENTIALS 1-800-448-0950 www.differentials.com , DRIVETRAIN WAREHOUSE 1-800-269-5903 www.drivetrainwarehouse.com . Talk to this guys, they do this every day, ask the questions. You could even see what it would cost to buy the whole axle, it never hurts to ask. Just, it your are going to ask for help, make sure you ask to the right person. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:58 PM

i have put in used gears all the time, i guess since i only put in ten or 20 sets in the last couple of years, i don't know what i am talking about. i have no problem putting in a good set of used gears in anything. it is not a job for a beginner, but it is not rocket science either. if you check out your local 4x shops, they probalble have 2 or 3 sets of gears for a dana 60. factory gears from the front of a dodge, people pull them out all the time. the set up is the most important thing, if the backlash is right and the pattern good. it will be fine. but most shop will not put in a set of used gears, they cant warranty them. because you got them some where else. talk to your local shops and see how much they want. and i have a front axle [less ti rod] i will let go for 700, and it is 4.10s mike