12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Replacement For Crappy Dodge Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZPOD
Really? My negative remarks were about the auto transmission, I was praising the Cummins but you say I specifically don't know about the Cummins?

Which part? Was I wrong that it has half the moving parts of the Ford Diesel therefore the cummins is much more reliable meaning half the parts to fail then in Ford? (perhaps you missed that this is a compliment to the cummins?)

That there were better years the cummins were made? This is all information I looked up while searching for the perfect Dodge Diesel and while I was searching to buy a truck there was a 99 with a cracked block only to confirm what I had read. Just because you never heard this information before doesn't mean it's not true, Google "99 cummins engine blocks crack".

And as time moves on all auto makers try to control the engines electronically, it's just plain fact and no reason to be offended toward someone telling the truth about the matter.

Is there something more specific you would like to correct me on in reference to the cummins?

Near the end of the posts I realize this transmission is among the better ones made. It has simply become clear to me how inferior the auto trans is in general regardless to who manufactures it over the standard shift.

I went into the shop, spoke directly with the mechanic building the transmission, he showed me all the individual parts. He confirmed that the older 1970s transmissions were better. He explained how un-natural an over drive is in an automatic transmission and I think what he was trying to say is that it over complicates the transmission. I always thought the over drive was simply an extra speed but it's not. Over drive is a very large mechanism in itself and the better transmission would be designed with 2 extra speeds... and there are better auto transmissions just now being introduced on the market like 16 speeds but I haven't studied them yet.

What really upsets me with electronics in the tranny is for example my father's brand new Chrysler at a speed of 65 mph suddenly downshifts into 2nd nearly blowing the engine, took it into the dealer and they said "Oh yeah we know what that is, it's a sensor and we have to tear into the transmission to replace it". I don't know why that kind of thing doesn't bother you but to me I see it as pure stupidity on the manufacturers part and the general public are the crash dummies for their new inferior technology, then Toyota who used to have a real good name had cars suddenly accelerating. All of these are serious road hazards and it does not have to be that way.

In America we used to make really good cars up until the 1970s (with the exception of a few) then suddenly they need frequently failing sensors.

What part of that is not true?
I apologize, you came off rough and kind of arrogant with your first post. Thats why I repsonded as such.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 AM

dodge trans.

this old man is still waiting for his "crappy trans" to give up. the 90 has been in it since 98 fluid changed once. 5 clutch front drum and 5.0 2nd band lever. everything off the shelf stock. street and strip driven. not a lot of towing. largest gross was about 15k. the 82 out once because of my stupidity. had a leak and in a hurry one morning. didnt check it. 3rd gear the engine didnt slow down. i submit the stock clutches and bands are stronger than most techs will admit. the 82 has been in the truck since about a year and a half before hamilton county tenn. started emission checks
Old 09-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheNeckasaurus
you came off rough and kind of arrogant with your first post.
Just so that I fully understand why people react this way to my comments, arrogance has two meanings: ...proceeding from undue claims or giving one's self an undue degree of importance. I think people suspect my claims to be untrue and some people find some facts hard to digest because they rarely have them placed in front of them condensed and to the point but rather spread out in a long series of articles but it's from these articles and personal experience or personal encounters that I derived this information from.

The information that exists with many magazines or other people's experience is why some will only drive standard shift vehicles. There is far less that can go wrong with them and this relates back to simpler is better which is why I selected Cummins over PowerStroke.
So why did I select a vehicle with auto transmission? For city stop and go driving I prefer automatic because the constant shifting is tedious and my clutch leg begins to cramp. If I were over the road and lived in the country hands down I would select a standard shift.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
You come in and start preaching to all of us how crappy the stuff is and that just tells us how little you really know about anything.
Anything that evolves from reliable to less reliable is crappy to me. It's an undeniable fact that modern transmissions since after the 70s have more frequent visits to the tranny shop.

Now if you want to say that this transmission in my 95 Cummins is the most reliable from the years 90-2010 then I understand that and that could be accurate but I was specifically referring to trannys since the 60's as being more relaible. I don't like the electronic overdrive switch, OD on the column is more reliable.

I know that much to be true, to test my knowledge on other tranny topics is insignificant and does not apply to the single fact that since the 70s auto trannys spend more frequent visits to the shop.

Can you show me something that proves me wrong?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Banned

Then you talk to some guy in person and take every word he says as gospel and try to feed that to us as well....
Some guy?
A shop named Diesels Only in Denver?
The owner (named Alan) who runs his own shop for 25yrs?

He is not "some guy".
Unless you can match running a Diesel shop for 25 years then anything he says has a lot more weight than you whom I refer to as some guy on the internet, that's all I know about your credentials so yeah, I am going to listen and listen hard to what a 25yr Diesel shop owner has to say not to mention his earlier years of expertise prior to opening a very successful mechanic shop.

I don't totally dismiss the things you say but when I consider the source then I'm leaning more toward the 25yr Diesel shop owner, although I value input from all sources so that I can come to a consensus as to who is correct and who isn't.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by ZPOD

Can you show me something that proves me wrong?
It would be a complete waste of time to show you ANY facts as your mind was made up before you ever came here. Go on and live in your ignorant arrogance, spending far too much money for sub-standard products... it means nothing to any of us
Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

You should search the forums for the information or ASK instead of Instructing
I did ask.
In my very first post I asked if there was a better transmission than the crappy one that was in there.

I expected someone to refer me to a better fully mechanical transmission.

Second best what should have happened is someone easily could have said that there are no other or better tranny's that will fit, that my best bet would be to order this particular kit (web link) and if you have a transmission shop do the work have them do this or do that, etc. and that I am simply stuck with that tranny.

If someone is sitting on specific knowledge such as this it seems this would be the response. When I was asking for the hard to find magnetic drain plug for a Cummins I expressed the importance of installing one, people agreed then sent me links to sites that carried them specifically for the Cummins.

From my first post it should have gone that way. It wasn't until much later, after the rebuild that someone provided me links of what I should have ordered, my hats off to him so I don't know why you could have not suggested that after my very first post. It just sounds like there is a personality clash here and I wonder if you just make stuff up as to not lose your authority status. Don't worry. Once my projects are done I will disappear and you can have your forum back.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Two responses to this statement- it is just as immature as what you are accusing him of, and please don't speak for me, as a moderator. Although ZPOD is a little difficult to take, and I think he would admit to this, that is no excuse to be hateful.
I love this forum, and I find it to be an invaluable source of comraderie, wisdom, and information. But I can not be a part of this if, even though someone may be difficult, DTR stoops to the level of responses like this. You owe him an apology.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Hodge
Two responses to this statement- it is just as immature as what you are accusing him of, and please don't speak for me, as a moderator. Although ZPOD is a little difficult to take, and I think he would admit to this, that is no excuse to be hateful.
I love this forum, and I find it to be an invaluable source of comraderie, wisdom, and information. But I can not be a part of this if, even though someone may be difficult, DTR stoops to the level of responses like this. You owe him an apology.
I don't know... sometimes I too can let my anger get the best of me...whether I owe him an apology or not, I guess you and I will just have to agree to disagree but I did remove it for your benefit
Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM

Ok guys can I jump right in here? I drive a 95 with an auto with 263000 klm on it and want to put in a better torque converter and a possible rebuild of the tranny.There is sssoooo many types to buy to rebuild my trans that i`am lost and don`t know what I should have. I tow a fiver that grosses 9 th lbs and want a dependable trans in my auto. Help with the right tq and a kit would make me very happy Man. Thanks Don T
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Don, the best advice I can give you is to look at the major builders like ATS, DTT, Goerend and Suncost and find which one has the closest representative to you and give them a call.

Be as honest with them as you can on your needs and then have at it
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Larry Ellis

I`am from Nova Scotia Canada and will have to have a trans and tq shipped over here. I see Goerend has a core charge of $300.00 for the trans and I will eat that cost because it will cost more than that to have it shipped. I will call them and see what can be done. I would much rather do it right the first time if I can. I don`t know if I will need the better input and output shafts and I would think that I will trust them to set me straight. Warranty won`t come into play as well because of distance from them to me lol. I want to have a great tranny that I can pull my fiver with. Thanks Don T
Old 09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Don, try DTT they are based in Canada and they make a great transmission as well. Goerend may have a Canadian outlet I am not sure but buying it from someone near you can make a big difference if you encounter a problem of any kind
Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Larry Ellis

Thanks for that info. I will do some looking in the am and see what or where they are located. I would rather buy local for the warranty , but I think they really should have it all together as to what they build. hoping I get lucky lol. Thanks a bunch
Old 09-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Don - DTT is in Vancouver. Expect to pay $4-6 k for a DTT. Another option is NADP/NAPC in Edmonton, again $$.

I suspect youll get a much better deal ordering from the midwest.

Quick Reply: Replacement For Crappy Dodge Tranny?