12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Replacement For Crappy Dodge Tranny?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've been thumping on mine for almost four years, probably on borrowed time, but still shifting smooth as ever!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
But you can do what Bill said and see if it makes a difference. Either way its not going to take much to fix it and there are lots of guys here that have already blazed the trail..
The tranny is now apart. The bands have burn marks. I spoke directly with the mechanic working on it and it has been rebuilt before. The last mechanic put in a shift kit, a standard torque converter not intended for the Diesel and a mix of bands, some high quality, some low quality not intended for the Diesel tranny. It's interesting how easy it is for a trans mechanic to rip off the consumer and the last owner was ripped off on this last rebuild. You will never know what goes into your transmission and you will never find out until many years later and only if the new mechanic invites you back to his work station to take a look see.

The mechanic confirmed that these days the most frequent failure are the electronics and the sensors and they will change out electronics if the wiring becomes too brittle, he said the best transmissions were the older all mechanical transmissions. I asked if he could get me a fully mechanical transmission, he said no because there were none old enough made for diesels with that housing bolt pattern, although he then thought perhaps I could get one off of an older Dodge gas engine and upgrade all of the internal parts. $2700 for the truck, a few hundred for upper ball joints now $2900 for the trans rebuild. I realize I could have bought a prettier truck for that but I could have paid more and still might have to rebuild the tranny in the more expensive truck. Nobody ever knows when a tranny might fail, now I have the peace of mind that it will be working for a long time. I should learn to tear those apart myself.

Oh, and just now I called back and asked since he has the tranny out if he would change out the rear main engine seal, he said no problem. Many years back when I asked for that to be done the mechanic snapped back that they do not work on engines... Oh come on, changing out the rear main should be standard procedure on all transmission rebuilds because even if it is not leaking then it would be too easy to damage an old brittle seal then it makes no practical sense at all to then after the trans rebuild to drive it to the (engine) mechanic, have the mechanic pull the tranny (again) to then change out the rear main seal when the tranny guy has full access, it's so easy a 10 year old kid could do it.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by ZPOD
he said the best transmissions were the older all mechanical transmissions. I asked if he could get me a fully mechanical transmission, he said no because there were none old enough made for diesels with that housing bolt pattern, although he then thought perhaps I could get one off of an older Dodge gas engine and upgrade all of the internal parts.
Understand this, you have a virtually all mechanical trans, the last year they made them. The only electronic functions on your trans is a very simple solenoid valve that turns the overdrive on, and another that locks up the torque converter.

It was not until 1996 that they brought in all the voodoo stuff the really mess you up.

You can completely control your trans manually with 2 flip switches should you so desire.

You have probably the best, simple trans available, bar none.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"a mix of bands...." That would be "two".
Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 PM

Trans

There is nothing wrong with the trans in these trucks, there not a big issue until you start making big power, well okay just more power..lol...
I have a ATS and Goerends TQ, no issues at all now, I tow whatever weight is behind me in OD and it never kicks out of gear with the ATS Commander on.
FWIW..
Old 09-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
So who's Torque Converter and Valve body did you end up putting in it? And did you get the modified clutch pack that has more clutches in it for strength?

I know you didn't let this guy talk you into putting stock parts back in this trans after ALL the information on this Forum about improving the transmission. Inquiring minds want to know
Old 09-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
So who's Torque Converter and Valve body did you end up putting in it? And did you get the modified clutch pack that has more clutches in it for strength?

I know you didn't let this guy talk you into putting stock parts back in this trans after ALL the information on this Forum about improving the transmission.

Your comment blind sided me and I'm thinking, at what point did someone, or especially you, give me particular advice on what brands to put into the transmission?
Or perhaps maybe a slight clue that if I were wide awake might take a hint from?
That would be from infedel yet even in his first statement still said the stock Tranny is great.
PatDaly says "get it built right and you will love it". That's not enough information for me to simply tell the trans mechanic to build it right.

Comments from Posts:

Infedel - The 47RH is a great tranny, people just expect too much out of it in the stock configuration.
It wasn't designed to take even 300 hp but can be modified to hold much more hp than a manual tranny.

PatDally - Get it built properly and you will love it.

Larry Ellis - Actually it is a very strong transmission

BlackImpala - I second that, its a good trans.

cmac - maybe you just need to do a 5-speed swap?

LilDog - FWIW serious drag racing diesels install 47RE's

Gorms - yes it is a tough tranny

d-rod - I've been thumping on mine for almost four years, probably on borrowed time, but still shifting smooth as ever!

Pat Daly - Understand this, you have a virtually all mechanical trans, the last year they made them.

Downlow - There is nothing wrong with the trans in these trucks

End Comments From Posts:

The main message here was that the stock tranny is a really good tranny unless perhaps I want to do some serious drag racing and I really don't want to do that, I desperately need my truck for work.

If I should have requested a specific torque converter or a specific valve body or a specific kit then you failed me on this one but there still might be a chance for you to assist me because after they put it all back together today there was a problem with the valve body so they will open it back up on Monday, maybe on Saturday I can get them to order a different valve body, or does it really matter that much, what is the difference?

They said they would put in a heavy duty torque converter but they could lie and I wouldn't know the difference. My entire purpose here is to get advice and so far it has been that this is a good transmission, now last minute you say I should have requested specific high performance parts and not stock as if you or others already instructed me... yet you didn't.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:39 AM

Transmissions these days have gone from the very reliable fully mechanical automatic transmissions of the 1960s and 1970s to a lower quality transmission full of sensors that repeatedly fail causing frequent visits to the transmission shop due to faulty sensors or connections. Not just Dodge but many auto makers place these inferior pieces of machinery in their cars and trucks.

The only good thing Dodge puts in their truck are the fully mechanical cummins engines specifically from 92 to to about 97, some time after that they began to make them more complicated and from 99 to about 2001 the blocks cracked for no apparent reason. After 97 is when they began to mess up a good reliable engine... but moving on, they went and placed an inferior automatic transmission in my newly purchased used 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel. I just got done moving the fuel filter to an easier access point than the ridiculous original placement, now I am contemplating what to do with this piece of edit automatic transmission.

The trans temp light comes on and I am having overdrive issues. When I look this up on the net it is a very common problem usually entailing a sensor, a bad connection or could be more serious. This is total crap when auto transmissions were perfected in the 60s. The transmission was something least on your mind, you could completely ignore it, nowadays it's like fill up the fuel and check the transmission.

I have never owned a new car, the 1995 Dodge is now the latest year vehicle I own and I am really surprised at what I see, I have had to correct a few serious design flaws and now my focus is on the transmission.

I want to know if there is specifically a fully mechanical automatic transmission that will fit perfectly in the 95 Dodge Ram Diesel to replace the poorly designed piece of crap that's in there now?

If there is a replacement then is there a way to tell the computer to ignore the transmission?
Im sorry man but this is kind of offensive, and it just shows everyone that you dont know about diesels, specifcally cummins.

Last edited by BC847; 05-07-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Language
Old 09-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheNeckasaurus
it just shows everyone that you dont know about diesels, specifically cummins.
Really? My negative remarks were about the auto transmission, I was praising the Cummins but you say I specifically don't know about the Cummins?

Which part? Was I wrong that it has half the moving parts of the Ford Diesel therefore the cummins is much more reliable meaning half the parts to fail then in Ford? (perhaps you missed that this is a compliment to the cummins?)

That there were better years the cummins were made? This is all information I looked up while searching for the perfect Dodge Diesel and while I was searching to buy a truck there was a 99 with a cracked block only to confirm what I had read. Just because you never heard this information before doesn't mean it's not true, Google "99 cummins engine blocks crack".

And as time moves on all auto makers try to control the engines electronically, it's just plain fact and no reason to be offended toward someone telling the truth about the matter.

Is there something more specific you would like to correct me on in reference to the cummins?

Near the end of the posts I realize this transmission is among the better ones made. It has simply become clear to me how inferior the auto trans is in general regardless to who manufactures it over the standard shift.

I went into the shop, spoke directly with the mechanic building the transmission, he showed me all the individual parts. He confirmed that the older 1970s transmissions were better. He explained how un-natural an over drive is in an automatic transmission and I think what he was trying to say is that it over complicates the transmission. I always thought the over drive was simply an extra speed but it's not. Over drive is a very large mechanism in itself and the better transmission would be designed with 2 extra speeds... and there are better auto transmissions just now being introduced on the market like 16 speeds but I haven't studied them yet.

What really upsets me with electronics in the tranny is for example my father's brand new Chrysler at a speed of 65 mph suddenly downshifts into 2nd nearly blowing the engine, took it into the dealer and they said "Oh yeah we know what that is, it's a sensor and we have to tear into the transmission to replace it". I don't know why that kind of thing doesn't bother you but to me I see it as pure stupidity on the manufacturers part and the general public are the crash dummies for their new inferior technology, then Toyota who used to have a real good name had cars suddenly accelerating. All of these are serious road hazards and it does not have to be that way.

In America we used to make really good cars up until the 1970s (with the exception of a few) then suddenly they need frequently failing sensors.

What part of that is not true?

Last edited by BC847; 05-07-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Language Quoted
Old 09-25-2010, 06:21 AM

Alright ZPOD let me try to help you out here....

I'm not sure if you're familiar with using forums, but there is a search feature that allows you to get answers to your questions, or allows you to find relevant information that you are inquiring about. This link shows you how to use it https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...faq_vb3_search

To help you out with transmission brands, there are many. I have a fully built Goerend transmission in my 95, but there is also ATS, DTT, Suncoast, HTS, etc. If you do a search for any of these brands on this forum, you will find what others are saying about them. From my personal experience, and what I have read on this forum, is that Goerend is one of the best in quality and service.

Here are the links to the above companies.
http://www.goerend.com/
http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/index.asp?
http://www.dieseltrans.com/
http://www.suncoastconverters.com/
http://www.htstransmissions.com/

It sounds like you are getting your transmission taken care of, but I will say that if you ride in a truck that is properly built with the above companies' parts, you can truly feel all of the Cummins power going to the road. Having a Goerend transmission in my truck is as awesome as have a Cummins motor! I am very pleased.

So I hope that this helps you out some. I haven't meant to offend you in a any way, I just don't know how familiar you are with using forums, hense the link to how to use the search feature.

Good luck man!
Nick
Old 09-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
ZPOD I don't think you ever specified what you plan on doing with the truck besides "work". If you don't beat on it, up the power of the motor, tow heavily often (over 6k lbs in my opinion is heavy for the stock tranny) the stock setup can potentially last 200k miles, more or less depending how you drive and how well you maintain it. Maintaining meaning changing the filter every 25k miles or so, adjusting bands, keeping the fluid level and temperatures in check.

Unfortunately, the trannies of the 70's are a thing of the past. Yours only has an overdrive and a solenoid valve to control it, as well as another to kick in the torque converter clutch. If someone put this motor in a 60's or 70's truck, this is really the only way it would work efficiently and effectively, pretty good design albeit "archaic" by today's standards, where basically every function of the transmission is controlled by the computer. Not much else you can do as far as simplicity, so having it rebuilt and taking care of it is your best bet. If you want to spend $3-5K you can get a Goerend, ATS, or whatever "built" tranny that may last forever, you can do that too. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick660
there is a search feature that allows you to get answers to your questions, or allows you to find relevant information that you are inquiring about.
The lower part of your comment is extremely helpful but the advice pertaining to how to use a forum or search engine is not helpful at all if a person is unaware of the specific keywords to search for. I had no idea there were so many different parts manufacturers for one single style of transmission therefore the latter part is very informative, in having that knowledge it will then allow me to use keywords in a search.

My original post was aimed at the Dodge transmission having an electronic switch or switches rather than a lever for over drive and my enquirey was, is there a better transmission? It never entered my mind there were better parts but better parts is not what I was seeking, I wanted to eliminate any electronics and computers and seems I am stuck with that stock transmission with electronic switches and a computer. Moving into the discussion of better parts vs the manufacturer is an evolved conversation from where I started and makes no difference now as the transmission will be finished Monday... Although I will study what you have provided over the years to come so that I can be better prepared next time but all the present information could be completely obsolete with 10 more years of technological advancements, in the next generation series the auto transmission could become so advanced it might not look or function anything like transmissions of the past.

Over time I expect faulty electronics to be perfected, wiring plastics that remain flexible as they soak in transmission fluid, computers to be smarter than ever, I just hate this transition phase but once perfected the electronic controlled transmissions and engines will outperform my presently favorite fully mechanical transmission and outperform any fully mechanical engine.

We are all in a transition period of constant testing and experimentation and the consumer pays the price, the consumer finances the infrastructure toward a very slow but ever advancing, more reliable electronic technology, I am just very impatient.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
"They said they would put in a heavy duty torque converter but they could lie and I wouldn't know the difference. My entire purpose here is to get advice and so far it has been that this is a good transmission, now last minute you say I should have requested specific high performance parts and not stock as if you or others already instructed me... yet you didn't."
you should maybe do it your self if you do not trust any one...or sell it
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
The lower part of your comment is extremely helpful but the advice pertaining to how to use a forum or search engine is not helpful at all if a person is unaware of the specific keywords to search for. I had no idea there were so many different parts manufacturers for one single style of transmission therefore the latter part is very informative, in having that knowledge it will then allow me to use keywords in a search.

My original post was aimed at the Dodge transmission having an electronic switch or switches rather than a lever for over drive and my enquirey was, is there a better transmission? It never entered my mind there were better parts but better parts is not what I was seeking, I wanted to eliminate any electronics and computers and seems I am stuck with that stock transmission with electronic switches and a computer. Moving into the discussion of better parts vs the manufacturer is an evolved conversation from where I started and makes no difference now as the transmission will be finished Monday... Although I will study what you have provided over the years to come so that I can be better prepared next time but all the present information could be completely obsolete with 10 more years of technological advancements, in the next generation series the auto transmission could become so advanced it might not look or function anything like transmissions of the past.

Over time I expect faulty electronics to be perfected, wiring plastics that remain flexible as they soak in transmission fluid, computers to be smarter than ever, I just hate this transition phase but once perfected the electronic controlled transmissions and engines will outperform my presently favorite fully mechanical transmission and outperform any fully mechanical engine.

We are all in a transition period of constant testing and experimentation and the consumer pays the price, the consumer finances the infrastructure toward a very slow but ever advancing, more reliable electronic technology, I am just very impatient.
i read the complete post,and my opinion as this guy is looking for an argument
Old 09-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Let me explain how I see your posts here ZPOD........ You come in and start preaching to all of us how crappy the stuff is and that just tells us how little you really know about anything.

Then you talk to some guy in person and take every word he says as gospel and try to feed that to us as well.... you do not ASK for information, you try to INSTRUCT even though you do not have a clue.

You are on a Forum where normal people just like your self have tried every known product and variation in an attempt to improve upon our trucks. You should search the forums for the information or ASK instead of Instructing that way we can give you the benefit of what we have all learned through trial and error.

You assume that we should know what you need and tell you without you having to ask us, but it doesn't work that way. We are here to HELP you, but not unless you tell us specifically what you need and do so in a polite manner. Remember that NO ONE on this forum owes you anything we are ALL here to learn and share freely with each other, but in a respectful manner.

The greatest gift we have to give you here is that we have already spent our money buying the good and the bad and learning the difference between the two. The trick for you is to learn from OUR mistakes so you don't have to repeat them yourself and of course we want to learn from yours as well.

Change your attitude and LISTEN, don't instruct until you know the difference between the bad ideas and the good ones. Every person here started out knowing little and collectively we end up knowing a heck of a lot more than 95% of the people working in the industry. As an example the guy that told you to use transmission fluid in your fuel, has no clue what he is talking about, avoid him.

Now I realize most of what I said here appears to be scolding you, but I truly don't mean it that way. I am trying to help you learn and as long as you dump the attitude and take the information people offer for help that we intend it to be, EVERYBODY gains in the long run

Remember, for everything you want to deal with on your truck, thousands of us here have already done it, often times more than once and unfortunately at an expensive mistake we do not wish to repeat again.

If you still want help, feel free to ask for it...we are all happy to share what we have learned just as I KNOW you are as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement For Crappy Dodge Tranny?