12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

rebuilt Auto Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilt Auto Transmission

I found this site that rebuilds transmissions for the dodge diesel...<br><br>http://www.phoenixhardparts.com<br><br>has anyone heard of them? the prices seem really low<br><br>A618 / 46RE / 47RE is $895.00 <br><br>this does not include installation obviously.<br>
Old 11-02-2002, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:rebuilt Auto Transmission

Never heard of them before. Most guys on the Dodge sites are going with ATS or DTT.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going through their website, it looks like they rebuild them to stock specs. $895.00 is pretty cheap. If you're looking for something that can handle a lot of power, or heavy towing, I'd be skeptical. Just seems so low on the price to me.
Old 11-03-2002, 09:47 AM

Hello<br> I looked into those hard parts transmissions and i figured out that if your going to just get another stock tranny, then for me it would've been the same price to have a reputable transmission shop here where I live do the uninstall and the overhual and reinstall. This was due to the cost of shipping a hard parts tranny to me, then shipping my core tranny back. I do believe there is a 400.00 core charge or smoewhere in that ball park. They charge you price plus core charge till they get your core. However i did not get it rebuilt. It still shifts and does what it is supposed to it just slips a little. I talked to Bill at DTT and he said to run it till it died. That gives me time to save money for a DTT or an ATS. <br> Ty
Old 11-15-2002, 05:37 AM
Chapter President

I just trashed a tranny and needed one quick (also money was short),so I called these people we talked about my horsepower and they put together an upgraded tranny for me with a heavy duty low stall torque converter,an upgraded valve body,and a transgo shift kit.<br>Should have the tranny in a few days...will wait to pass judgement until I have tryed it out...since I pull heavy loads 50% of the time I will test it to the max...the stock tranny just didnt have the shift points in the torque curve of my diesel.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:33 PM

Pappyman <br>Let us know how it does, it will be interesting how it shifts and if the convertor will lockup and be usefull while towing. Good luck and I hope it lasts for you.<br>Bruce
Old 11-16-2002, 07:04 AM

how much extra was the 'upgraded tranny'?<br><br>[quote author=pappyman link=board=16;threadid=6484;start=0#67147 date=1037360263]<br>I just trashed a tranny and needed one quick (also money was short),so I called these people we talked about my horsepower and they put together an upgraded tranny for me with a heavy duty low stall torque converter,an upgraded valve body,and a transgo shift kit.<br>Should have the tranny in a few days...will wait to pass judgement until I have tryed it out...since I pull heavy loads 50% of the time I will test it to the max...the stock tranny just didnt have the shift points in the torque curve of my diesel.<br>[/quote]
Old 11-16-2002, 08:22 AM
Chapter President

With the upgraded tranny it came to $1720.00
Core And Shipping Extra...Iam keeping the core for future use
Labor at my local shop is $175.00 plus ATF+3
Old 11-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Chapter President

While Iam changing out my tranny is there a fix for the quick disconnect fittings for the cooler lines...I have had these come apart on me before and need a fix, the one the drivers side rear of tranny disconnected in my driveway once and dumped out ATF lucky I caught it in time
Old 11-17-2002, 08:47 AM

To fix the tranny lines, get a couple of good quality O-rings. Put them on the end of the lines where the plastic has disintegrated, and push hard on the lines to put the clips in. Mine have lasted thousands of miles with no leaks.<br>george
Old 11-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=pappyman link=board=16;threadid=6484;start=0#68173 date=1037537655]<br>While Iam changing out my tranny is there a fix for the quick disconnect fittings for the cooler lines...I have had these come apart on me before and need a fix, the one the drivers side rear of tranny disconnected in my driveway once and dumped out ATF lucky I caught it in time<br>[/quote]<br> Dodge did a recall on those with the V-10. I believe they have a set of steel ones to replace the plastic ones, they may even put them on for you if you complain about them coming apart. Won't hurt to ask!.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:32 AM
Chapter President

Thanks Smokey thats what I did last time they popped out but when the shop pulled the tranny they said the lines where almost ready to pop out again...think I'll check with Dodge to see if the V10 fix will work for me.<br>[move]MORE $$$$$$[/move]
Old 11-17-2002, 05:04 PM

I called dodge on the very issue of the tranny lines and the recall. The 1-800 number you call, the first thing they ask for is your vin# based on that, they will give you all the recalls for your truck. i specifically asked about the tranny line recall and the represenative said NO is was not for the diesels...<br>but this just means that Dodge will not pay for it as part of the recall...<br>im sure the fix works on all trucks however<br>[quote author=pappyman link=board=16;threadid=6484;start=0#68222 date=1037547126]<br>Thanks Smokey thats what I did last time they popped out but when the shop pulled the tranny they said the lines where almost ready to pop out again...think I'll check with Dodge to see if the V10 fix will work for me.<br>[move]MORE $$$$$$[/move]<br>[/quote]
Old 11-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Chapter President

Tranny is done the repair shop also changed out all the cooler lines because of the quick disconnect fittings going bad,they where changed to the 2001 style cooler lines $374.60<br><br> Road tested without a load ;D very positive shifting and no more sloppy feeling at take off can feel the shift points now.<br><br> Road tested with my loaded 44ft car trailer #17350 lbs again very happy with the shift points and no more shutter from the T/C...tryed it out on some of the mountain roads with 12-20% upgrades ;D again pulled great.<br><br> Overall Iam happy with this tranny now the only thing left to do is put in a T/C lockup switch which Iam debating if I should wire it to a floor mounted dimmer switch or put in a dash mount switch....and after a few hundred miles I'll change over to syn tranny fluid.<br><br>Pappy