12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Power steering pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Power steering pump question.

A few months ago, I posted an issue I was having with my '96. When I made a low speed turn, (pulling out of a parking lot, or when parking), I had a wobble in the front end while making the turn, as well as when straightening the wheel. Forward or reverse, it doesn't seem to matter. Sometimes it is hardly noticeable, sometimes the whole truck will shake. I took it to an alignment shop, rotated the tires, and generally looked things over. I found nothing that could have caused the problem. It got better, and I thought maybe it was cold weather related, but it's back. It feels like the PS pump is coming and going, but I have no leaks, or noises coming from the pump. It almost HAS to be in the steering, so my question is, how hard is it to change the pump? I see that it's attached to the vacuum pump, and I don't want to start on something that requires tools I don't have. Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought my truck was going to hell too. It was a stuck brake caliper.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:15 PM

Thanks, that's a good idea. I had a bad caliper on a car years ago that made it pull like crazy to the left when the brakes were applied, so it can effect the steering. I'll have to take a look!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you find it to be the pump you can take the pressure fitting out and clean the screen and sometimes that will correct problems.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM

I spoke with a local alignment shop. A friend is a mechanic there, and offered to take a look at it after hours. My cousin runs a shop that's more of a brake, tuneup, electrical shop. He chased a similar issue all over a customers truck, (also a Dodge), and finally cured it with a bottle of Lucas power steering leak additive. Being as lazy as I am cheap, I tried a bottle. I pulled 12 oz of the old fluid out, and put the Lucas in. It seems to be working, although I haven't driven but about 30 miles since I installed it. The old stuff was really thin, so maybe it is the fluid. Once I'm back in it everyday, I'll know for sure. Thanks for the replies and ideas.