12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Oil all down side of truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for you post. Now I read your last post on that thread and you said you put some kind of breather tube. Could you post some pics and go into a little more detail for me on what you did.

Also where would I get the John Deer oil, and why would it make the issue stop?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-23-2010, 02:14 PM

The working theory on the deere oil is that some oils don't aerate(think oil mist) as easily as others and aren't as likely to flow out with the airflow. Deere oil is a dealer only thing. I'm just running Rotella.

For my fix I didn't add a tube just bought a push in breather(1 1/4") and screwed it into the oil fill tube. Temporary fix but proved the point. Eventually I'll upgrade to a better system.
If you search on various forums you'll find several variations on better ventilation. The Case breathers are popular. Some drill the valve covers and add push ins. The idea is to get the ventilation where there isn't much oil mist present so the increased air flow can't draw oil out. Cummins also made a closed ventilation system to recapture the oil but I've read it had problems with high volume too.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Lurch
The working theory on the deere oil is that some oils don't aerate(think oil mist) as easily as others and aren't as likely to flow out with the airflow. Deere oil is a dealer only thing. I'm just running Rotella.

For my fix I didn't add a tube just bought a push in breather(1 1/4") and screwed it into the oil fill tube. Temporary fix but proved the point. Eventually I'll upgrade to a better system.
If you search on various forums you'll find several variations on better ventilation. The Case breathers are popular. Some drill the valve covers and add push ins. The idea is to get the ventilation where there isn't much oil mist present so the increased air flow can't draw oil out. Cummins also made a closed ventilation system to recapture the oil but I've read it had problems with high volume too.
something like this?

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...o-p-25490.html
Old 01-23-2010, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
Yes
Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Chapter President

will that eliminate the oil pouring out of my truck. or is it just a gamble.

also i know i have seen a site that sells the individual valve cover breathers they have to be cheaper that the one i found on the site from above.

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM

I should eliminate all the oil coming out.

Right now the only place for the crankcase pressure to vent is your dipstick and your crankcase breather, both connect to the motor down near the oil pan where a lot of oil is getting pushed around, thats why the oil is coming out along with that crankcase pressure.

The new breather on top of the engine will vent where little oil is, so the pressure thats pushing out oil at your dipstick wont be there.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you changed the oil and how much did you put in?
Reason I ask is because some '96s came with the wrong dipstick and it may be overfilled. Seems that someone would have discovered it in 13 years though.
Oil change with filter should take 11 quarts.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Chapter President

I have seen some guys running the filter breathers that go on every valve cover. but i can't find what web site sells them for the cummins. and will that do the same thing as the breathers i have in the web link i posted before?

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2010, 09:51 AM

when i got to where i was going the oil pressur gauge went to 0 and the oil light came on.
When my oil pressure sensor failed, it dropped about 2 quarts of oil in a short time.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:24 PM

I have seen some guys running the filter breathers that go on every valve cover. but i can't find what web site sells them for the cummins. and will that do the same thing as the breathers i have in the web link i posted before?

Thanks,

It will do the same thing, but you should only really need one.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Andy505
It will do the same thing, but you should only really need one.
Ok so if i understand you right if i buy one of the dual valve breathers from purediesel then that should fix the problem.

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM

Ok so if i understand you right if i buy one of the dual valve breathers from purediesel then that should fix the problem.

Thanks,
It should.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fueling around
When my oil pressure sensor failed, it dropped about 2 quarts of oil in a short time.
This is the one commet I was thinking about...Thinking the same thing...You lost oil pressure quick...I really think also that your oil sensor failed.On my 95 I had the same problem...No oil pressure and truck didn't seize up,ran great.I do remember it was leaking out of the sensor a little.I would wash the oil off the truck and start your engine.If no oil pressure,for sure,replace the senor.If that fixes your oil gauage.Take it out on the highway and give the truck the road test..
Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Chapter President

Ok, I under stand what you guys are saying but I don't think I explained my issue good enough. When I checked the oil I had lost almost 6 quarts. I topped it off with oil before heading back and the oil press was good all the way home and I didn't notice any oil loss. So I'm thinking that the lack of oil made my oil light and gauge go crazy.

Thanks,
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM

I am having the exact same issue as you are. Hardly any loss if any at Lower RPM, around town and such. Head out on the highway for a long drive 2000 RPM+ and the underside of the truck gets coated along with the tail gate. I guess I will try a breather, and hopefully that works. I didn't have any issues until I installed my valve springs and exhaust brake, so I am wondering if that messed with anything

Quick Reply: Oil all down side of truck