12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

offroad fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BoostdCTD
I read before on an austrialian site that had tips for winterizing your fuel if your fuel station doesn't do it for you. They said to mix 75% diesel with 25% fuel oil. This implies that fuel oil is actually thinner?!
By fuel oil I bet they were referring to Kerosene.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:14 PM

By fuel oil I bet they were referring to Kerosene.

And we can't do that here in the states either, unless you can find UN-DYED Kero. I'm not sure they still make that stuff.. hmmmmmmm

Jason
Old 10-29-2004, 09:08 PM

Darn, I should have saved that link. It seemed like they implied it was for home heating, like an fuel oil burning furnace. I would have thought that fuel oil would be a higher viscosity than diesel as well, as diesel is treated during the colder months for that sole purpose.

I put some kerosene in my tank before, they make those hoses a little short so you have to get really close to the pump. Some guy walking by astonished asked me if I knew what i was doing.... Before I get off onto a tanget, isn't any fuel less than 50% considered an additive? Yes it may still dye the fuel red but how does that differ than say the brownish red redline DFC I put in my tank?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it may still dye the fuel red but how does that differ than say the brownish red redline DFC I put in my tank?
The red fuel dye has a chemical tracer in it they can and will find it even if you mix used motor oil with your fuel to dye it black. When they dip your tank if they see the wrong color at all you will still get a ticket and the sample will get sent out for analysis. If it truely is DFC the ticket will be dropped.
These tax guys are no dumbies, if you can think of a way to cheat them you can be sure they thought of it first.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:31 PM

That is partially what I meant but also the tax implications. Surely redline doesn't pay the state a road tax and even though I bought a gallon of it I highly doubt I'd ever have a problem for not paying road tax on it as it is an additive. So if I cut my fuel in the winter with kerosene, it is also an additive more than it is a fuel. They'd just keep things simple and say the fuel is dyed without any consideration of why it is?
Old 10-29-2004, 09:32 PM

The red fuel dye has a chemical tracer in it they can and will find it even if you mix used motor oil with your fuel to dye it black. When they dip your tank if they see the wrong color at all you will still get a ticket and the sample will get sent out for analysis.

Does this mean that motor oil mixed with my diesel (either new or used) is also illegal????
Old 10-29-2004, 09:37 PM

I was wondering that as well but figured I'd limit my questions. But reading that I got the implication like it wasn't illegal, so....
Old 10-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Upon another reading of this maybe it was not implied as illegal. But I would still like to know if it really is legal or not?

Jason
Old 10-30-2004, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOT LEGAL. That is why it is called off road fuel.
How lucky do you feel and how big is your wallet?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by jtb51b

Does this mean that motor oil mixed with my diesel (either new or used) is also illegal????
Adding used oil to your fuel is illegal in Calif and NY for smog reasons. I haven't kept up, more states might call it illegal now. Highly doubt if you'll get caught though.
For tax purposes anything you burn for on-road fuel is supposed to pay road tax. Again doubt if you'll get caught unless you're doing it big time running a fleet. Give it time though as alternate fuels become more widespead and they'll find a way to make you pay.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by infidel
Adding used oil to your fuel is illegal in Calif and NY for smog reasons. I haven't kept up, more states might call it illegal now. Highly doubt if you'll get caught though.
For tax purposes anything you burn for on-road fuel is supposed to pay road tax. Again doubt if you'll get caught unless you're doing it big time running a fleet. Give it time though as alternate fuels become more widespead and they'll find a way to make you pay.
I have heard that running farm tags or going to farm sales is a way to get checked. To big of a risk. Jim
Old 10-31-2004, 09:02 AM

horse shows too

I have a neighbor who goes to horse shows and he tells me that they frequently run the ole giant Q Tip down his tank when entering the shows. I don't know what the fine is, and I don't want to find out to be able to post it.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:14 AM

i always thought that farmers could run the offroad stuff. heck they should be able to. i am lost on the part of adding oil to the fuel tank, what is the purpose of that?
Old 11-01-2004, 08:59 AM

Using it as a fuel where as otherwise it would be waste, also it makes for a great cetane booster and helps the lubricity of the fuel.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:55 AM

I wondered about the claim of more power from waste oil that several folks have made and did some checking.
#2 diesel fuel contains an average of 138,000 BTUs/gallon, waste oil 126,000.
If anything you will lose power and mpgs by using it.

Quick Reply: offroad fuel