12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Need help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help please!!

I have a 1995 with a 6cyl. Cummins. It was a gift from my dad. I know nothing about diesels. We had a cold spell and it won't start now. It turns over, just acts like it's not getting fuel. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First things first, how cold, and what is the temp now? Does it spin over fairly quickly? How much fuel is in the tank?

Finally, locate the fuel solenoid, on the side of the Injection pump, it pulls the fuel cut off lever up when you try and start it. Make sure you can raise it and let if fall back down, then try and start it, you don't have to crank it long, but DON'T turn the key off, leave it in run, and see if the lever is in the up position.

Then get back to us and report your findings. There probably is very little wrong, you just don't know what to look for, yet.....
Old 04-20-2014, 04:30 PM

To start off, the temp was below zero. Now it's high sixties, low seventies. It does turn over quickly. Thanks for the info. Is the fuel solenoid by the filter? I was going to pull the filter, check it and try priming it.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Dusty Wall
To start off, the temp was below zero. Now it's high sixties, low seventies. It does turn over quickly. Thanks for the info. Is the fuel solenoid by the filter? I was going to pull the filter, check it and try priming it.
------------------
Dusty:

The fuel shutoff solenoid is on the back side of the P-7100 pump. That
P-7100 fuel pumpis on the drivers side, right at the front of the engine, on the side of it. You will see the six (6) fuel lines coming out of it. As pat said, if it is bad you may have to tape or tie it in the up position and then undo it when you shut it off. Or,...have someone else manipulate it while you try and start it.

--------
John_P
Old 04-21-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Read> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94...m-writeup.html
Old 04-22-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks for all the helpful info guys! I'll try your suggestions on my next days off. Currently working 16 hrs a day.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Question

Hey guys! I'm finally back. Been working a lot. OK, so I tried you're suggestion with the fuel shut off solenoid. It raises up and down. When I tried to start it and left the key on it stayed up until I turned it off. Is this good or bad? The truck still won't start. What next?

Last edited by Dusty Wall; 04-28-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Need to add to it.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Hey guys! I'm finally back. Been working a lot. OK, so I tried you're suggestion with the fuel shut off solenoid. It raises up and down. When I tried to start it and left the key on it stayed up until I turned it off. Is this good or bad? The truck still won't start. What next?
Nope, that is perfect!

Now, on the drivers side of the engine is the lift pump that pushes fuel to the injection pump. There will be either a black plastic covered button on the top of it, or a white plastic rid sticking out ( if the black cover has rotted away. ) Use a long handled implement ( I like a garden hoe ) and use the handle to repeatedly depress the button fully until you hear a sound from up by the IP resembling the sound if you forced air through your front teeth with your tongue. This will mean fuel is present to the IP and the pump is primed.

If this doesn't happen after say 200 pumps, get back to us.......and we will go to the next step.

P.S. really dumb question, are you SURE there is fuel in it? Dodge senders are notorious for being inoperable or way out of calibration..... we have had more than 1 member be out of fuel at the 1/2 tank mark, and you don't have a long history with this truck.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:40 AM

I'll give it a shot. I know for sure it's not empty. I thought that at first, and put 5 gallons in it.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 AM

OK, is the black boot you're referring to below the filter? If that's it, I pumped that for about 6-7 minutes. Never did hear a hiss. Was I suppose to crack a line loose or something?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:06 PM
Administrator

OK, is the black boot you're referring to below the filter? If that's it, I pumped that for about 6-7 minutes. Never did hear a hiss. Was I suppose to crack a line loose or something?
You shouldn't have to. Now comes the fun part, figuring out why it doesn't prime. For grins, did you change out the fuel filter when it froze up?

Do a quick search on here and you will find pictures of a home made fuel pusher, basically an old gas cap with a hole drilled for an air hose, you don't want to put very much pressure, 4-5 PSI on it, it sometimes helps get the fuel up to the pump.

I guess at this point if you haven't already changed the fuel filter it is time to do so. I am not real clear on the earlier ones, I believe they just screw off and back on. It will help to fill it with diesel before you put it on.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:20 PM

OK, I replaced the fuel filter. It still won't prime. Do I need a new lift pump now?
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
Administrator

OK, I replaced the fuel filter. It still won't prime. Do I need a new lift pump now?
No, the easiest way is to make the fuel pusher fuel cap, and put no more than 4-5 PSI on it. You can crack the fuel drain at the filter until she starts draining.

I have had good lift pumps not want to prime before

Read this thread..........

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rize+fuel+tank