12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

KDP Tabbed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KDP Tabbed

Finally got it done, have 100k on my 95. When I took the cover off the pin was over half way out. Sure am glad I didnt put it off any longer. The really wild thing was that I took a pliers and pulled and it pulled out real easy. That really made all the work worth while. If anyone is on the fence about whether to do it or not, dont risk it.<br><br>And the other great thing is that I realized were the oil leak was coming from and it was from the crank seal. One bird with two stones.<br><br>Thanks to this website and to Joe George for the help.<br><br>The fan hub wrench that I bought from NAPA was worth the money.<br><br>Anyone in Colorado who needs help dont hesitate to email.<br><br>Only took me 4 hrs.<br><br>Thanks Again Trickytrae
Old 01-26-2003, 12:39 AM

Re:KDP Tabbed

It sure is nice to have the KDP done. No more worries and it's worth the short time it takes to get it done. Don't sit on the fence for this one.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:18 AM

Congratulations. I had the same outcome. Able to correct a leaking seal and gasket, so was definetely worth it. Did you use a longer bolt to hold the tab? I didn't but later found references that some had. Torqued it to specs and used red locktight. Hope it holds. Would hate to have a dreaded &quot;killer dowel pin tab&quot;. Also bought the fan hub wrench at NAPA on sale. Spent $40 some bucks and nut almost fell off without the wrench. Anybody on Wisconsin/MN/IA tri-state area need a fan hub wrench to borrow, let me know.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:13 AM

Yes I used a longer bolt made it real easy.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:04 PM

I recently had the cover off of a 99 24 valve to fix other problems and found his pin working it's way out. I guess some of the old style Timing Gear cases made it on to the early 24 Valves.<br><br>Also FYI, you can replace the front seal without removing the cover for those of you not needing to do the Pin Tab or fixing it with the KDP Jig.<br><br>Kurt Yardley (KwikKurt)<br>Mild To Wild Diesel Performance inc.<br>Silver City NM<br>505-534-0434
Old 01-26-2003, 02:20 PM
Chapter President

KwikKurt.... I recently had the cover off of a 99 24 valve to fix other problems and found his pin working it's way out. I guess some of the old style Timing Gear cases made it on to the early 24 Valves.<br><br>Do you know the build date of that 99 engine....cummins says theres no way an old housing would be on anything later then 98 model year since they don't keep a large inventory stock...so a build date of that 99 you worked on would interest me<br>
Old 01-26-2003, 03:32 PM

The job for replacing the front seal is not that easy if you do it without the cover off, Ive done it both ways now and would spend the extra time doing it with the cover off. But Im that way, like to look at all those awesome steel gears.<br><br>Cant believe that other make of diesels use plastic gears in there run. Even one plastic gear in with all those metal ones just doent make since, kinda like the GM plastic timming gear.<br><br>Trickytrae
Old 01-26-2003, 04:47 PM

Yeh fixed mine about two weeks ago but wasnt so lucky. Mine had fallen out and cracked the housing ask the local dealer about this, they knew nothing or that is what they said. Had a guy come up and tig weld the crack to keep it from leaking for now. Replaced pin and tabbed it, no more leaks but only drove it for 2 days before it snowed,had to park it &quot;2WD&quot;
Old 01-29-2003, 10:21 PM

PappyMan<br><br>Sorry for the delay.. My Email has been Down &gt;<br><br>I will Check the Build date when he comes back in. I will be replacing his short block in the next couple of month's.<br><br> TrickyTrae <br><br>One thing to consider is that you greatly increase the chance of causing a leak to start on the back side of the gear case when you remove the front cover to replace the Crank Seal. Many of the bolts go thru the Gear case into the block. And just in case you're not aware you have to pull the cam and More! to replace that gasket... [undecided]