Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   KDP Repair using TST Kit (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/kdp-repair-using-tst-kit-76431/)

infidel 11-25-2006 06:09 PM

why do you need a jig at all?
With the jig you don't have to remove the cover and replace the seal plus it takes a quarter of the time.
Totally adequate for a problem that won't effect 99.9% of engines.

but too much risk of damaging something trying to align fan clutch assembly to just right angle to slip out.
Don't understand what you're talking about, there is nothing to align or damage.

srtdiesel 11-25-2006 07:21 PM

Guys he is right!!!!

TxDiesel007, you are absolutely right. The procedure from the tst kit along with a printout that I got off of this website is what made my kdp quick and easy. The pin was about an 1/8th of an inch out and it took a little elbow grease to get it to move past flush in the hole. Now I can sleep much better at night knowing that this is one less thing for me to worry about. EASY INSTALL.

2500 11-25-2006 07:44 PM

sorry about being not being more clear...

total cost to fix my KDP was $3 for cummins washer. really didn't have to buy that. could have dimpled hole with flat chisel.

however I did purchase seal and TC gsk from cummins before job. turned out I didn't use the TC gsk or use the seal. but that was because my main shaft had grooves. logic was a new seal was more likely to leak than original seal. if it leaked... would had to get an oversized seal kit anyways.

did purchase a 36mm wrench ($12), but lots of parts stores will loan fan clutch removal wrench for free.

my preference is to remove timing cover VS drilling into cover. removing timing cover is really simple.

hardest part of the job is to break loose fan clutch hub.

please don't get me wrong, there nothing wrong with jig method.
just that removing timing cover was easier for me.

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1222815)
With the jig you don't have to remove the cover and replace the seal plus it takes a quarter of the time.
Totally adequate for a problem that won't effect 99.9% of engines.

Don't understand what you're talking about, there is nothing to align or damage.

TxDiesel007 11-25-2006 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by srtdiesel (Post 1222880)
TxDiesel007, you are absolutely right. The procedure from the tst kit along with a printout that I got off of this website is what made my kdp quick and easy. The pin was about an 1/8th of an inch out and it took a little elbow grease to get it to move past flush in the hole. Now I can sleep much better at night knowing that this is one less thing for me to worry about. EASY INSTALL.

Glad this post can be of help to you

and everyone else.. Its amazing, i wrote this over a year ago and its still gettin views..

Thanks again for the kind words guys!

Rick

TxDiesel007 04-05-2012 01:19 AM

Six years later..

and another go at this with the new truck, and i still agree... probably the best kit money can buy for the job...

This job went a little different tho, being that the fan screws were so rusted in, that i stripped one, A small grinder and 1/2 hr later, i got the screw off, and resumed with the task, as straightforward as it is...

another issue i had was that the damper would turn even with the truck in gear, easily solved with cheeter pipe and bricks..

The fan R and R tho was so much easier than the first time being that i remembered exactly how to do it...

total time was six hours, and thats with a water pump replaced, as well as a tensioner, new belt, and cleaning out everything.. oh and lunch and a conversation...