Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   KDP Repair using TST Kit (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/kdp-repair-using-tst-kit-76431/)

BCB 03-10-2006 08:33 AM

Subscribing

BoostdCTD 03-14-2006 02:48 PM

At the top of every page there is "Thread Tools" inside of there you can find subscribe to this thread. Also subscibing to a thread that is nearly a year old doesn't generally do much good. ;)

GIT-R-DONE 03-14-2006 07:09 PM

Got mine ripped apart in the garage right now. Ordered the kit , should be here in a day or so. 10-4 on getting the fan/shroud out. I ll probably have more trouble getting the belt back on, they are a bear.

infidel 03-14-2006 07:17 PM

I never remove the shroud and have no problem removing the fan. Push the upper hose back and hook it behind the oil fill spout. Lift the fan with a blade on each side of the fill spout and rotate it while lifting up.

displacedtexan 03-14-2006 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by GIT-R-DONE
Got mine ripped apart in the garage right now. Ordered the kit , should be here in a day or so. 10-4 on getting the fan/shroud out. I ll probably have more trouble getting the belt back on, they are a bear.

When I did mine this last weekend, the belt went on real easily. By far the easiest serpentine belt I have ever replaced.

ride_a_hd 03-15-2006 09:43 AM

Link?

Originally Posted by infidel
I feel the jig fix is totally adequate for the dowel pin, I've personally used it on well over 50 engines. Takes about 45 minutes, the only new part needed is one bolt.
In fact the only reason I wouldn't use the jig is if you have a leak from the front seal, cover or case that requires taking things apart anyway. A jig kit is availible from Harold at rvhvnfn@juno.com or 208 850-8749.
$30 gets you the basic kit, postage paid.

Bill, wasn't there a link/site that showed how to use this method without having to purchase anything? (Yup, I'm a cheapskate...)
Dave

infidel 03-15-2006 09:48 AM

Dave, you would have to be a very good shot to get the hole in the right spot and angle. Plus the jig has a depth stop that will tell you if the pin is too far out to use the jig method.
Thirty bucks is pretty cheap insurance to avoid $1000-$3000 in damage.

ride_a_hd 03-15-2006 09:55 AM

Aaaaahhh...

Originally Posted by infidel
Dave, you would have to be a very good shot to get the hole in the right spot and angle. Plus the jig has a depth stop that will tell you if the pin is too far out to use the jig method.
Thirty bucks is pretty cheap insurance to avoid $1000-$3000 in damage.

Good point, Bill. Thanks!
Dave

dieseldemon 03-18-2006 05:51 PM

By using the jig you cannot look at the bolt by the lube pump which is the bolt that will destroy your engine if it falls out I have seen that bolt lock the crank gear and shear the loc. pin then the engine has to be pulled

TIMMY22 11-24-2006 06:36 PM

the only other thing the TST kit leaves out is to remove the wire loom clip on the center of the fan shroud underneath before you try to lift the shroud up and out. also, keep in mind if you ever sell your truck the potential buyer who probably never heard of a KDP is going to wonder who's been monkeying around drilling holes in the cover with bolts sticking out. just my 2 cents.

infidel 11-24-2006 07:00 PM

keep in mind if you ever sell your truck the potential buyer who probably never heard of a KDP is going to wonder who's been monkeying around drilling holes in the cover with bolts sticking out. just my 2 cents.
If you're speaking of the jig fix- there is only one bolt with a tapered head recessed flush with the cover and is impossible to see until the fan pulley is removed.

2500 11-24-2006 09:21 PM

If you separate fan clutch/fan blade after breaking loose 36mm hub. everything drops right out without removing any radiator hoses. trick is to hold hub while using 36mm wrench. fab'd a special took to hold hub.

this one change alone saves HUGE amounts of time on KDP job.

no jig is needed. simply dimple dowel pin hole with flat chisel after driving pin deep into hole. new timing cover now comes with hole slightly smaller on one end to prevent pin from backing out.

dimpling hole does exact same thing. other option is use a thin elliptical washer from cummins.

use a brass .050in feeler gauge when setting crank sensor.

infidel 11-25-2006 12:42 PM

If you separate fan clutch/fan blade after breaking loose 36mm hub. everything drops right out without removing any radiator hoses.
The entire fan with hub comes out as one unit without removing the shroud or any hoses, I do it all the time.
It only comes out one way though, you have to fold the upper radiator hose behind the oil fill, pull the fan up so that the oil fill is in-between two fan blades then rotate the fan clockwise.

If you use a jig to fix the KDP you don't have to pull the fan out anyway, just let it drop down out of the way. You can buy a jig cheaper than the seals required when taking off the cover and do the job five times faster with common hand tools. Harold sells jigs for $30 -- Email address is rvhvnfn@juno.com or 208 850-8749

Anyone who says they can use the bolt block method without a jig is full of it. It would be like hitting a bulls eye from 100 yards blindfolded.

2500 11-25-2006 03:45 PM

ya.. you can do it that way, but too much risk of damaging something trying to align fan clutch assembly to just right angle to slip out.

when you can unbolt fan from fan clutch. took me 5 minutes at most. then fan/hub is a fraction of original size and drops effortlessly out of the way.

why do you need a jig at all? too easy to dimple dowel pin hole or use $3 washer from Cummins. need red thread locker if you move any internal bolts.

once fan/fan clutch is out of the way. KDP job is quite simple. hardest part of the job is the break fan loose from hub.

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1222578)
The entire fan with hub comes out as one unit without removing the shroud or any hoses, I do it all the time.
It only comes out one way though, you have to fold the upper radiator hose behind the oil fill, pull the fan up so that the oil fill is in-between two fan blades then rotate the fan clockwise.

If you use a jig to fix the KDP you don't have to pull the fan out anyway, just let it drop down out of the way. You can buy a jig cheaper than the seals required when taking off the cover and do the job five times faster with common hand tools. Harold sells jigs for $30 -- Email address is rvhvnfn@juno.com or 208 850-8749

Anyone who says they can use the bolt block method without a jig is full of it. It would be like hitting a bulls eye from 100 yards blindfolded.

TIMMY22 11-25-2006 04:43 PM

I took fan off at engine, 4- 10 mm bolts and youre done.:cool: