Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   KDP Repair using TST Kit (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/kdp-repair-using-tst-kit-76431/)

TxDiesel007 08-28-2005 08:12 PM

KDP Repair using TST Kit

THis is just a report for you guys..

If you are thinking about getting your KDP done, well this kit is easy to follow, I only had two problems, and none had to do with the kit, The first problem was that my fan shroud was cracked, i fixed it though, i glued it together, and drilled two holes, and ran a wire (doubled up) and tied it together, Worked great:D [laugh] and when i tried to remove the little connection hose from the washer fluid resevoir, well it was so sun and heat baked that the little connection just cracked, leaving me needing a new resevoir....:rolleyes:

Anyways, the instructions are crystal clear, i did the whole procedure by myself, took me about five hours with a lunch in between, the only advise i can give you guys who are about to do this is to Make a template of where the timing cover bolts go, and STICK TO IT.. also take a good note where the RPM sensor goes as well, That is the main advise..

It is also good to have a friend with you to do this project, because the removal of the fan using the four bolts is a doozie, and putting it back together by yourself is tough enough being that its a really tight area.. The whole project sums up to simple wrenching more than anything else, WIth the removal of the fan, the top radiator hose, and the fan shroud there is a surprising amount of room in there,

I got lucky, My KDP was still deep into the case, no signs of coming out, but now there is no chance and i will sleep better now knowing that the next time i turn on my truck it wont shake out that lil bugger...

The other issue, is the crankshaft seal, surprisingly i found this one of the EASIEST PARTS of the project.. I took out the old seal no problem, using a screwdriver and an engineers hammer, 1 lb... To put the new seal in i just followed the instructions in the TST kit, but rather than beat this thing in there, my dads old drill press happened to fit just right over the little seal, so i put the little stopper on the front side, and then i drove the seal in with the drill press and light taps, IN and out in five minutes.. no problems..

While i was there, i cleaned out the timing cover completely, Turns out that my crank seal was the cause for my oil loss, no leaks today, but im gonna check it religiously for a week, just to make sure. I also cleaned the screws completely and reused them, i ran them all thru a bench grinder using some vice grips....

In putting everything together, if you are by yourself, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE for puttin the fan back on, you kinda have to put the shroud in first, then kinda hold it up somehow, and then sneak in the fan somehow and learn how it goes, its tough enough but i did it using my head to hold the shroud, my right arm and hand under the fan cluch holding it up and moving it and my left hand turning till i found the screw holes, did that once and i can say never again.. save urself the headache and have a friend with you...

After that everything else is a breeze... So to u guys that wanna do this, hope this helps. to you experienced fellas at this, have a laugh at this rookie KDP assasins adventure for today... I know im still laughin...[laugh] :D

Have a good one

Tx:D

NHDiesel 08-28-2005 11:49 PM

Thanks for the writeup. I cross my fingers every time I drive my truck, and I hate that feeling. I really need to do mine. I figured, like you said, that it was pretty much just a bunch of wrenching, but I just haven't had the time to get involved in it. I also have Murphy riding shotgun at all times, so I know if anything can go wrong with the project, it will happen to me...so I am going to plan a whole day to the project, even though it shoudl only be a few hours.

Jim

northslope 08-29-2005 12:19 AM

I'll tell my story again............................
..........my pops (billja1) did his 95 at 123,000 the pin wouldn't budge so naturally when I bought my 95 at 64,000 I had no fears. But luckily I decided to do it popped the cover off the pin was hangin out about 3/8" lightly tapped on it and in it went, I might add it was bone stock at the time. So mileage has ZERO relevance mine I guarantee would have come out before the magic 80,000, I just kinda say to my brother (got......DIESEL?) count your blessings he says "well if it hasn't come out yet".

My advice git'r'done, it's a real simple job

BoostdCTD 08-29-2005 01:13 AM

I procrasinated mine off for a good few months, finally got it taken care of last week. It was loose enough to be taken out by hand, sticking out about 1/3rd of the way. This is after 135k miles so there are a good deal of people out there with more than that on theirs.

Kind of along those same lines, after checking the bolts inside the timing case one was only had tight which could have been a problem if I would have went with my original intention of just using the KDP jig. Instead all those bolts were taken out one by one and loctited so they'd stay in.

RedRotors 08-29-2005 05:44 AM

I also used TST kit to kill the KDP. Nice kit, clear instructions, it's a must!

Marc/

NHDiesel 08-29-2005 11:40 AM

I'm trying to figure out all these "kits"...I thought all you had to do was put a modified (reshaped) washer under the head of a bolt to block off the end of the DP hole...if thats the case, what does the "kit" include, a 29 cent washer?

Another question, which might save time. Looking at the pictures I saw, it looks like instead of removing the whole timing cover, I should be able to just drill and tap a hole in front of the DP location in the timing cover and thread in the appropriate length screw to rest up against the DP and hold it in place. Anyone have a timing cover removed who can measure exactly where the DP is in relationship to the timing cover? Someone who fixes their DP should draw a template and post it on here for others doing the fix.

The way I see it, there is no real pressure on the dowel pin, so even a thin timing cover should hold it fine. Put grease on the drill bit and it will catch the shavings from drilling. Do the same with the tap used to thread the hole. Problem solved in 20 minutes instead of several hours.

Jim

NHDiesel 08-29-2005 11:58 AM

Cancel what I said. I finally found it (hadn't seen it before on TSTs site) and see that it includes the crank seal and some loc-tite also. Considering a crank seal at Autozone (unknown brand-questionable quality) is $36, I guess $48 for everything isn't so bad.

I'm a cheap S.O.B. and try to save money whenever possible, so I question all expenses until I make sure I'm getting my money's worth. I might be cheap, but I don't sacrifice safety or reliability to save a few bucks.

Jim

Texas Pride 08-29-2005 07:21 PM

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=70419

Check this writeup as well. Its over at pavementsucks.com

TxDiesel007 08-29-2005 10:05 PM

Originally posted by NHDiesel
I'm trying to figure out all these "kits"...I thought all you had to do was put a modified (reshaped) washer under the head of a bolt to block off the end of the DP hole...if thats the case, what does the "kit" include, a 29 cent washer?

Another question, which might save time. Looking at the pictures I saw, it looks like instead of removing the whole timing cover, I should be able to just drill and tap a hole in front of the DP location in the timing cover and thread in the appropriate length screw to rest up against the DP and hold it in place. Anyone have a timing cover removed who can measure exactly where the DP is in relationship to the timing cover? Someone who fixes their DP should draw a template and post it on here for others doing the fix.

The way I see it, there is no real pressure on the dowel pin, so even a thin timing cover should hold it fine. Put grease on the drill bit and it will catch the shavings from drilling. Do the same with the tap used to thread the hole. Problem solved in 20 minutes instead of several hours.

Jim

Ur lookin at a jig fix...

if it serves its purpose for you then so be it, this did for me, plus i now better know what the front of my engine looks like.... I myself am not as good with a drill, and come to think of it, i didnt even know there was a jig fix for this till just a couple of days before i got my kdp kit from TST..

Tx

Cummins4Life 08-29-2005 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Texas Pride
http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=70419

Check this writeup as well. Its over at pavementsucks.com

Hey thats my truck!:D

Glad to hear you got-er-done Rick.

Palmetto_kid 08-30-2005 09:32 AM

I used the TST kit back in the spring. The hardest part for me was getting the fan & fan shroud out. I had to take out the upper radiator hose to get mine out. Besides me, 2 other very innovative poeple put thier hands on it, and could not figure it out.

So, to save time, I just took the stinking hose off, and out everything came. That was a waste of an hour!!

It was funny, becuase my dad walked out into the shop, and he thought I was doing some major engine work. The look on his face was priceless! He stood around too long, so I made him put the seal in the front cover while I put the tab on. If you hang around here too long , I'll put you to work. :D

It was overall an easy intsall (minus the fan). To keep track of the bolts, I laid a large piece of cardboard on the shop floor, and laid them out in their respective postions in the shape of the gearcase cover. The main thing is keeping people away from it so they dont acciedently trip over the cardboard and kick the bolts under a cabinet. Luckily, this did not happen to me....lol.

Later.
Phillip

infidel 08-30-2005 11:16 AM

I feel the jig fix is totally adequate for the dowel pin, I've personally used it on well over 50 engines. Takes about 45 minutes, the only new part needed is one bolt.
In fact the only reason I wouldn't use the jig is if you have a leak from the front seal, cover or case that requires taking things apart anyway. A jig kit is availible from Harold at rvhvnfn@juno.com or 208 850-8749.
$30 gets you the basic kit, postage paid.

NHDiesel 08-30-2005 11:44 AM

infidel, do you use the pressurized crankcase method mentioned above, or do you just put some grease on the drill and tap? I've had to tap into places before where there couldn't be any shavings and the grease always worked fine. I'm glad there is a kit like that...it has my attention!

Jim

infidel 08-30-2005 07:45 PM

Jim, I pressurize the crankcase though the dipstick tube, 5 psi max, but the grease method should work just fine. Any chips are just soft aluminum and the only place they can go is into the oil pan.
Another method that works just as well to pressurize the crankcase is to duct tape the hose of a vacuum cleaner on blow to the oil fill spout. With this method you also must block off the blowby tube.

Rhino 08-31-2005 10:29 PM

Originally posted by NHDiesel
Considering a crank seal at Autozone (unknown brand-questionable quality) is $36, I guess $48 for everything isn't so bad.

FWIW - The seal at Cummins (at least Cummins in Michigan) is $32.