12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Im in trouble, I stripped the band adjusting screw 47rh

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Notta clue, I don't know the workings that well.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny7
Hi all, everything turned out all right. I adjusted the bands and everything seems to be ok.

Scot pa - how did I lose 2nd when I cranked down the "in the pan" band, Is it possible when I loosend it up I loosend it way up ?
You lost second gear because when you tightened down the rear band, that band was then permanently applied, effectively locking the truck in first gear. It didn't technically "lose" second gear, it just couldn't shift out of first.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! thanks for the cool info torquefan Would you have a good methode to adjusting my TV cable, and can I raise the line pressure? thanks for the knowlege, I owe ya
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny7
Wow! thanks for the cool info torquefan Would you have a good methode to adjusting my TV cable, and can I raise the line pressure? thanks for the knowlege, I owe ya
You're welcome, glad I could help.

For the TV cable, my starting point is, at zero throttle, to have no slack on the cable and no tension either. Not sure if you're familiar with that adjuster yet, but you can push in the release button, then push in or pull out the cable sheath several clicks either direction, which effectively lengthens or shortens the cable.

So push the button and push in the cable sheath a few clicks, you should now be able to feel some slack in the cable. Now pull the sheath back out until the slack in the cable just disappears. That's the basic starting point for adjustment.

Take the truck for a drive and see how it shifts. If you want to make the upshifts later and firmer, go to the adjuster and pull it out a click or two to make the cable tighter. If you make the cable looser, it will make the upshifts earlier and softer.

Hope this makes sense. It's one of those things that's much easier to show than to tell.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
You're welcome, glad I could help.

For the TV cable, my starting point is, at zero throttle, to have no slack on the cable and no tension either. Not sure if you're familiar with that adjuster yet, but you can push in the release button, then push in or pull out the cable sheath several clicks either direction, which effectively lengthens or shortens the cable.

So push the button and puch in the cable sheath a few clicks, you should now be able to feel some slack in the cable. Now pull the sheath back out until the slack in the cable just disappears. That's the basic starting point for adjustment.

Take the truck for a drive and see how it shifts. If you want to make the upshifts later and firmer, go to the adjuster and pull it out a click or two to make the cable tighter. If you make the cable looser, it will make the upshifts earlier and softer.

Hope this makes sense. It's one of those things that's much easier to show than to tell.

I have been reading up on the subject but I have to admit that your explanation is the easiest to understand, I'm on it...Thanks for the info, now I feel like im getting somewhere, soon power mods... vroom, vrooom