12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

I think I killed it.....98 12 v

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I killed it.....98 12 v

It looks like I atleast really hurt my 12 v. I was pulling back home last night at about 27-28k lbs, going up a hill at 65-68 mph. In hind sight I felt a small vibration earlier that I thought maybe was the road. Well, pop, bang, and it tosses off one fan blade.....which took out part of the shroud and about 10 rows of the radiator. I see the temp start to rise, and think (its a hose).....I pull over, see the damage, and I m about 40 miles from home and its the last hill. Its night , and cold, and I have some supplies. The radiator is damaged in the middle, so I used pretty much an entire tube of permatex to slow the huge gash of a water leak. I have water, so I pour water in , and get going. The temp (2 gauges) was 210. I was worried maybe they were not reading, water temp but steam, so I pulled over and took another look. It still had water (I had left the cap off to avoid pressure) and teh motor was realitively cool to the touch (normal). I fill some more water and get going. At about 1.5 miles from the top of the hill, the temp SHOOTS UP to 230-250 (peggs the gauge) and the egts going 1400 or so and it shuts off, like it seized. I tried cranking it, wouldnt turn over, so I clutched it since I was moving, and it started and broke free....and died again. (I was mostly worried about killing ather stuff like the turbos too) , so as I coasted to a stop, I clutched it again and it started....but was very very rough, then started smoking. It pushed oil out the dip stick tube, but I shut it off pretty much right away. I atleast tried to keep alittle oil flowing. At this point, I could see that the ats (coated) manifold was glowing red at the middle joint.

It would not turn over with the starter.

Anyways, a few calls, and couple hours later I get all my stuff home. As we pondered the damage after the truck was dropped off, (it was cold by now) I tried to start it....and it turned over and fired up. But it ran rough, and was making abnormal noise, sounded like and exhuast manifold leak. Shut it off right away.

So....today...

I have parts....its been on the oem head gasket for 230k miles, and oem head bolts. Its been twined at 60 psi for 4/5 years now.
Its highly likely at least the head will come off, and I might swap in another short block I have. (low mile one)

I would
1. port and coat the head. Need advice on valves to use and where to get them.
2. probably not oring it due to no good machine shop to do it in my area that I now of. I would probably just use the oem gasket or the marine gasket and get studs. Recommend here please, and where to get.
3. If I put in the short block too, Ill coat the piston skirts and crowns.
4. Cam......I might if I can get a cam for towing, that will last like the oem cam in durability. Please recommend.
5.New radiator, probably water pump, and fan shroud assembly. I would like to go to electrics, but ofcourse nearly everyone says they wont work. Any new news on electric fans?
6. Pump mods.....please recommend.

Everything else will stay the same....#10 plate, ddp4 injectors, three intercoolers, 4000gsk, 60 lb v springs. Might consider delivery valves if I can keep the egts safe.

So, tear it apart, or diagnos and repair?

It has 230k miles...
Old 11-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

take the head and see what you got, sounds like you melted a piston to me. but if you already have most of the parts you might has well just rebuild the spare block you have and swap it out.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:36 PM

have you pulled the head off to see what was going on top side? My buddy did about the same thing and he pulled the motor and had it rebuilt but when the took the head off the gasket was melted between # 4 5 and 6 letting compreshion go between the cylinders.
its a long shot but take a look at the motor before you pull the engine.
DM01
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Chapter President

You can buy a o-ringed head with all the goodies from several different shops. Where are you located?, somebody may be able to reccomend a good local shop.

Helix 2 will be a good cam for towing and durabilty.
Electric fans still arent up to the task of that heavy of towing.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM

Im in las Vegas nv. I have only taken a quick look at it so far today. It will start, but barely, only after some cranking. It then almost runs sorta smooth after it cleans up, but blows are kinds of smoke at first start, then clears maybe 10-15 seconds later, but not completely. Looks like a lot of blue smoke, and with the oil out the oil dip stick tube, Im guessing it burned a hole in piston, or broke a piston/rings. For some reason its got a serious fuel leak at the #4 injector?

Looks like its gonna come out...........