12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

How long do you let your truck warm up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How long do you let your truck warm up?

I'm new at having a diesel and hear all kinds of responses on how long you should let your diesel warm up when it is cold. I know we used to let our JD tractors warm up until the temp gauge started to move. It only gets down into the 20's at night usually , but can go down below zero. It got down to the low 20's a couple of nights ago, but I plugged it in just in case.

Any responses appreciated.

BobG
Old 11-30-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What kinda diesel do you have? My CTD won't warm up sitting at an idle. Yours won't either. They warm up only under load. Start it, hold it at 1000 rpm for one minute (in neutral if automatic), and then drive it. Take it easy until it warms up. It'll warm up faster, as you drive, and stay warm on downgrades, if you put some cardboard in front of your radiator.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I let mine warm up 15- 30 seconds, auto trans in N, then drive away.
Unless you increase the throttle to 1200 rpms it won't warm up and can cause damage.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 PM

I don't think any diesel will warm up sitting at idle...even all day! Lund makes plastic inserts that fit in the grill- alot better than cardboard! I've had my set (for my 97) since it was new. It was a good investment- and I guess it's time to put them back on the truck, burrrr!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:47 PM

I usually wait 30 sec after I get oil pressure then drive, keeping the rpm's under 1500 until the temp gets to 140 mark then run the speed limit
Old 11-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned

if you're plugged in, you're fine... start it up and go...

It doesn't get too cold down here in Dallas... we get down to freezing here and there... basicly, no matter what temp it is down here, I start it up, watch the oil pressure come up on my mechanical gauge. once it's come all the way up, I start driving. (it takes 20-30 seconds or so) easy on the throttle till the temp gauge moves, increase max throttle as temp goes up... no more than half till ~140, 3/4 at 160, etc. w/ the big turbo, big injectors, and bumped timing, my truck is contankerous when it's cold, so I can't really give it much throttle when cold or it'll sputter and belch unburnt light blue diesel smoke.

DO NOT let it idle to warm up!!! diesels run cooler than gassers, and the sheer size of our radiators will take forever to warm up at unloaded idle. light driving will help bring it up to temp quicker and reduce cylinder wash and valve varnishing due to incomplete fuel burn.

I sure do love watching that light blue haze from the stacks on a cold morning though!

Forrest
Old 11-30-2004, 10:32 PM

I usually let mine sit and idle for about 4-5 min every morning before taking off. Thats what I was taught, being the son of a trucker.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Banned

I start mine up go back in house grab everything I need for the day load up my boys Taylon 4.5 and Tavion 9 months and hit it about 7 minutes but everyone is right they don't heat up at idle
Old 11-30-2004, 11:50 PM

i let mine run about ten minutes while i get ready, i come out and my heat is working, but the temp gauge is still burried at the bottom.
Ryan
Old 12-01-2004, 02:30 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If its cold enough out side to cause the heater grid to engage (and assuming that I did not plug it in), the I will hold the RPM's at 1000 until the heater grid is done cycling. (This takes up to 5 minutes depending how cold it is).
I have made a "high idle" stick that I place between the seat and the accelerator pedal to hold the RPM's.
I also have used the exhaust brake to help warm up the engine, but this is not my common practice.

I will usually hold the RPM's under 2000 until the water temp hits the 140 mark.

Rich
Old 12-01-2004, 03:52 AM

I start her up, flip the exhaust brake on, then flip the heat controls to toasty warm and then go back inside where it's warm for anywhere from 10-20 mins (depends on if I get caught up in something in the house) then come out to a toasty warm cab and drive off with the window down slightly because it's TOO WARM in the cab...
Old 12-01-2004, 04:43 AM

IS it bad to hold the engine at 1000 rpm in Drive? I have done this a couple of times, ususally for just a minute or two. seems to get the temp gauage moving a lot sooner than easy driving it. I only live a 4.5 miles from work so it doesn't get to run a operating temp. Actually its been cold enough that it diesn't hit the normal range on the gauge by time I get to work.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:48 AM

On any given first morning start-up, sum. or wint. I idle at least 15-20sec. before take off.

If its cold out and i want to warm the truck up, ill start-up, let the truck wake up a little, then put my high idle stick in place and run it up to about 1200-1500rpm. Go back in for 10-15. Hop in truck and if the gauge hasnt moved yet, by the time im out the driveway, it has.

If its a ways below 32* i might plug er' in for about 3hrs w/timer and do the same as above.

Ive got cardboard in front of my ratiator too.
May have to remove it this morning, 60* out side . Engine temps will rise-up a little too high over 50mph along with temps over 50*
-Jake
Old 12-01-2004, 07:31 AM

I start to plug mine in at about -20*C usually start it up wait 30 sec or so for oil pressure and then drive. I do have the winter mode enabled in mine so if I do let it sit the high idle ramps up and then she gets nice and queit when 3 cylinders shut down but it will warm up in this mode if you let it. I have a stainless steal winter front that clips into the grill which helps as well. The thing I hate about this truck in the winter is the power steering howls like a wolf when its cold sends vibration right up the steering wheel. BTW when it actually gets cold up here its not uncommon for it to hit -50*C ambient but the truck has never not started as long as its pluged in.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Holycack
I start to plug mine in at about -20*C usually start it up wait 30 sec or so for oil pressure and then drive. I do have the winter mode enabled in mine so if I do let it sit the high idle ramps up and then she gets nice and queit when 3 cylinders shut down but it will warm up in this mode if you let it. I have a stainless steal winter front that clips into the grill which helps as well. The thing I hate about this truck in the winter is the power steering howls like a wolf when its cold sends vibration right up the steering wheel. BTW when it actually gets cold up here its not uncommon for it to hit -50*C ambient but the truck has never not started as long as its pluged in.

You need an ESPAR buddy:

www.espar.com

Fort Mac is COLD.....for you boys down south, thats -58F !!

Quick Reply: How long do you let your truck warm up?