12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

how do i get at my smoke screw and less smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i get at my smoke screw and less smoke

so i pushed my afc housing toward the back of the truck and that seemed to help my smoking some and clicked the starwheel looser then tighter only 7 clicks at a time and it seemed to do nothing. I WANT LESS SMOKE. how do i get the cover off my smoke screw and do i tighten or loosen for LESS SMOKE
thanks
Old 04-22-2008, 05:02 PM

What mods have you done to the truck? How much is it smokeing?
Old 04-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Smile

new to me truck. unknown mods. but not stock. best guess is a modified pump and different fuel plate. it puffs on take off -every gear. i dont need the power. black smoke= $'s puffing in the air about $4.20 gallon and 13mpg = how do i rip off the smoke screw case and which way do i turn it to get less smoke
Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 PM

you should be getting better than 13mpg with a 5spd 12v
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 AM

mine puts out black smoke, somewhat, and I may get almost twice that
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you dont need to put the cover back on, ive sometimes just teared it off, but it has like a break off screw on the botom i think.

when you get to it, loosen the nut with a 10mm wrench, and screw it out with an allen.

on the top on the afc is another 10 mm bolt, you can loosen that one and slide the little plate with the oval hole all the way to the driver side of the truck.

(it lowers the afc foot, in case the gov arm rides under the foot on low rpms.)
Old 04-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you were ever planning on coming up this way i could help you out
Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 PM

greenrig, where in Santa Cruz are you? I am on the east side. I bought a modded 97 2500 5sp 4x4 that I somewhat "detuned" close to stock. I am getting 17 to 20 mpg.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:37 PM

I was thinking about your problem and about my truck when I first got it.

I bought my truck about a year ago from a guy in Forestville. The truck was neglected and the DPO only did what it took to keep it on the road. It blew black smoke on every gear like yours. The engine leaked oil like Niagara Falls, cruise 4x4 and heater didn't work, the mirrors shook, the front end sounded like someone had put washers in the hubcaps, there were wiring problems, and I was getting 13 mpg.

I started going through the engine. I went to change the fuel filter and it came out coal black. I don't know when it was changed last. I also changed the pre-filter screen. It had a substance that looked like wax in it. When I changed these two filters the mileage went up to 17 - 20 depending on how I drove it.

I had a vacuum line that broke at the cruise control unit. I dug out the piece that broke off and connected the line and I had cruise, heater controls and 4x4. The oil coming out the breather line stopped because the vacuum pump vents to the crankcase.

I traced the oil leak to the AFC housing. The break-off screw was completely missing and oil was coming out the hole. I got a replacement cap screw the same size and stopped the oil flow. I got a couple of stock fuel plates from a board member and pulled the AFC housing to find a #11 plate. I put a 180 HP plate in there and after the most boring tank of fuel you could imagine I replaced it with a 215 hp plate. In case anyone is wondering I am keeping the #11 plate in case I want to go back.

The next leak was the front main. I ordered a seal, cover gasket and KDP tab. I am glad I did that work because I now drive without fear that my alignment pin will drop out and get trapped in the timing gears.

The sound in the front end was a goner than gone outboard axle u-joint on the passenger side. The seal was also out because the axle was spinning eccentric and the gear oil was water contaminated. I got all that fixed and have used the 4x4 on several occasions without incident.

I have learned so much form this and other web sites that empowered me to do my own work. Dong the work on the truck also helped me to get to know it and I feel confident that I can fix anything that is wrong with it. I worked on gas cars for years and this diesel was a little intimidating at first but once I started digging in it is a joy to maintain and repair. I fixed little annoyances, like wiring problems and the horrible mirrors myself. I found parts for the interior stuff that was missing in the classifieds on the board and Ebay. The more you work on your 12v the more you will love it.

I live near Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz. If you need help or direction PM me.

Bob
Old 04-23-2008, 04:45 PM

I saw your other post and commented.

If your goal is less smoke and your tamper-proof screw is there your problem isn't the plate is out of adjustment. That tamper-proof screw was put there at the factory and set correctly.

You shoudl look elsewhere for problems. My money is on dirty fuel filters. Look at my post in your other thread. I had the same problem when I bought my truck a year ago and new fuel filters cleared up the smoke and raised the mileage.

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM

thanks for all the help. it is amazing to me that i have moved the afc housing so much one way then the other and it seemed to do nothing. the pump has been modified. i found a reciept in the truck that said it was set to 230hp from a pump shop in Idaho. i guess the put the break away screws back in. my best guess is that they put a diferent fuel plate in but i never pulled the afc housing to find out. i changed the fuel filter not too long ago but never the prefilter. i'll give that a shot. and bob i'll send you a PM, thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM
DHT

I'm new to all this too! Where is the prefilter?? Sorry to be soo ignorant!