12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

HELP Lost throttle! Stuck at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP Lost throttle! Stuck at idle

My 97 2500 Cummins lost throttle control tonight. First thought was that the throttle linkage broke since it has not had the recall done. But I can move the throttle manually on the pump and it's limp and does not return Did something inside the pump break or is there a spring behind the throttle body I cannot see that broke possibly? I didn't look at it much considering it's around 4F Degree's outside.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 AM

Check to see that the linkage is still connected to the arm at the back of the pump, as that is the actual throttle control. If that checks out, then there is something wrong with the pump. Make sure teh fuel solenoid is pulling all the way up.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 AM

Sorry, Forgot to mention the truck is running just nothing past idle. Manually moving the throttle lever (where the TPS bolts up) on the pump does nothing and is limp no tension.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The shaft going into the pump is keyed, perhaps the key fell out and the linkage is just spinning on the shaft.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Isn't the TPS on the front of the pump? The actual throttle lever is at the back of the pump, with that long linkage rod. If the TPS is actually at the back, then disregard.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM

the accell cable goes to the frt of the pump where the tp is, just to the inside of the tp is the linkage rod that goes to the back of the pump. trace the rod back behind and under that afc housing. thats where the actual throttle control is. its a good chance the ball/sockets are worn/broken and disconnected and you still may need recall performed or at least the parts for the recall
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
The shaft going into the pump is keyed, perhaps the key fell out and the linkage is just spinning on the shaft.
Is it possible to repair this? Will the pump need to come out? I got the truck towed to my house tonight and will take a look in the garage on Sunday.

Originally Posted by Tate
Isn't the TPS on the front of the pump? The actual throttle lever is at the back of the pump, with that long linkage rod. If the TPS is actually at the back, then disregard.
So there is a rod from the TPS to the rear of the pump that controls the throttle? Is that what you are saying? The piece the TPS bolts upto in this Diagram I attached is what moves freely with no tension.
Attached Thumbnails HELP Lost throttle! Stuck at idle-8015c87a.gif  
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM

yes, sorry for no pic, but it is behind the tp and spring that you can see. basically on the oppsite side of tp toward eng/pump. the rod is about a 1/4" diameter, 1.5 to 2ft long. it has a zig/zag bend in it but it goes straight backward to rear part of pump. the rod is the actuall throttle control to your pump. it is connected with ball/sockets. these connections were wearing out causing rod to stick or dis-connect creating loss of throttle. ( recall
Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by jnicewan
yes, sorry for no pic, but it is behind the tp and spring that you can see. basically on the oppsite side of tp toward eng/pump. the rod is about a 1/4" diameter, 1.5 to 2ft long. it has a zig/zag bend in it but it goes straight backward to rear part of pump. the rod is the actuall throttle control to your pump. it is connected with ball/sockets. these connections were wearing out causing rod to stick or dis-connect creating loss of throttle. ( recall
Just saw your post but figured it out tonight right away in some light. Wish I was able to see before I shelled out $70 for a tow with AAA . Plus my Truck was backed into by my girlfriends fathers girlfriend this morning while parked. Definitely a bad week for the truck So is this rod the recall item? It was never done according to Dodges VIN check.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ball sockets wear out and/or the rod itself will rust out and break.

I took the rod, ground it down along the length, and ran a bead from my mig up and down the rod three times making it three times thicker and stronger.