12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Help i think my turbo is about to blowup!!!!!! Arggh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help i think my turbo is about to blowup!!!!!! Arggh!!!!

Drove 240kms home last week runnin about 120-130kms/h on the highway.... then my truck sat for a week without being run.... now when i start my truck the turbo sounds like its making Ghosty WOOoooooOOOOooo sounds that get louder as the revs increase... and u can hear the turbo wind to a stop when u shut off the engine..... My Oil Pressure gauge has also been acting up ( full oil no leaks) and am wondering if other then checking the turbo spindle and blades if it might have something to do with turbo..... i dont have time to look tonight and am back outta town tomm(lucky im not driving)...but will inspect when i get back

P.S Im assuming the turbo spindle warped from the long drive at over 2200 rpm, (but it was like -20c outside)..... Any suggestions for a New Turbo? I know Cummins wants 1900$ canadian fer a stock replacement... and Stock is no fun if im forkin out that kinda cash.... just had the Head redone (less then 10k on it), Put AFE air and a ProFlo 4" turbo back on it last year)

Thnx in advance guys... this site rules everytime i have any issue!!
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Check the intercooler/piping rubber boots and clamps. The lower ones are suspect to splitting or just sliding off the intercooler over time.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by technolackey
Drove 240kms home last week runnin about 120-130kms/h on the highway.... then my truck sat for a week without being run.... now when i start my truck the turbo sounds like its making Ghosty WOOoooooOOOOooo sounds that get louder as the revs increase... and u can hear the turbo wind to a stop when u shut off the engine..... My Oil Pressure gauge has also been acting up ( full oil no leaks) and am wondering if other then checking the turbo spindle and blades if it might have something to do with turbo..... i dont have time to look tonight and am back outta town tomm(lucky im not driving)...but will inspect when i get back

P.S Im assuming the turbo spindle warped from the long drive at over 2200 rpm, (but it was like -20c outside)..... Any suggestions for a New Turbo? I know Cummins wants 1900$ canadian fer a stock replacement... and Stock is no fun if im forkin out that kinda cash.... just had the Head redone (less then 10k on it), Put AFE air and a ProFlo 4" turbo back on it last year)

Thnx in advance guys... this site rules everytime i have any issue!!
turbo won't run with warped spindle. 2200 rpm is no issue. engine and turbo are made to run at that speed.

Turbo is easy to check. Pull air boot off cold side and pull v band clamp off hot side and let exhaust hang. Look at both impellers. Leading edges should be straight and clean, not chipped or tips of blades broke off. air side might be a little oily and some carbon but not much mostly clean. Exhaust side should be sooty and dry not oily. Spin by hand. Should spin freely. Grab the center of the shaft on the air side and feel up and down. Some play is okay - no problem. Pull shaft in and out. NO play should be felt.

If this inspection passes then turbo is as good as a new one. Excess oil on either side is a leaky seal. damaged blades my occur from foriegn debris or if a blade tip failed.

Possible air boot as suggested. How is power? Low boost will cause reduced power as the AFC on the pump will not allow much fuel without boost buildup.

Fix the oil pressure gage so oil pressure is verified as okay.

Chaeck the rubber boots on the air piping. They usually need tightend at least once in the life of the truck. they may rub and wear a hole too.

Howeling noise or hissing are signs of a boost leak. Intercoolers can split and leak too but that is not common on the dodge except for the '05 with plastic tanks on its intercooler.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Struck the Housing... Turbo is Toast..... Anyone have a Good recommendation for an upgrade? was lookin at a BD Super B, but wondering if theres a decent one fer less then the $1600 they want for it