12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Head Gasket Blows Again (3rd time in a week)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Blows Again (3rd time in a week)!!!

Alright, Cummins NE replaced my head gasket a week ago, had to replace the oil cooler as well since it was blown. They fired it up to flush the coolant and the head gasket blew. The head had checked flat within spec, but after it blew again they sent it out to be decked flat. They put it all back together and it was fine for a day, this is with a .020 over marine gasket. After me driving it for a day, never getting past 10 maybe 12psi of boost, it blows AGAIN!!!

What do I tell these guys to do? They aren't open till monday, but what is the deal with this? Could the block be messed up? Wouldn't they check that?

I'm really getting ****** off with this, I had the truck in the shop over a week and it still isn't fixed! What do I do now?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Banned

umm...take it back

brett
Old 12-08-2007, 01:19 PM

Really?!? Haha, I was kinda planning on it Brett, its just, if I have to take this thing back every week to have the gasket replaced I'm gonna flip...
Old 12-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Really?!? Haha, I was kinda planning on it Brett, its just, if I have to take this thing back every week to have the gasket replaced I'm gonna flip...
thats just crazy. i wonder what else could be going on.

brett
Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 PM

are they torquing the head studs down properly they have to go thru heat cycles and retorqued so that they will hold the pressure.
are you using stock head bolts or ARP head studs?
Old 12-08-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Just for grins and giggles I'd check the timing... maybe you ain't got 16 or 17 degrees but a lot more..

Maybe there is a problem with your block, but this should have been found by now.

Good Luck!

AlpineRAM
Old 12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Muted User

Are you running too high of oil pressure since the cooler was blown too, if so , maybe the pressure is blowing out the part of the head gasket where the flows up to the rocker arms.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:35 PM

Blown head gasket? What is leaking out? Oil? Coolant? Compression?

Cummins will usually stand behind their work.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Its compression into the cooling jacket, but its getting a little oil in the coolant as well, probably that from the cylinder wall. Cummins is standing behind it, and replacing it under warranty, but like I said, after the second time they should have it figured out and don't. My oil pressure is at about 38-41lbs from idle to light throttle. I am running NEW STOCK BOLTS, not ARP's, but more than a few guys are running double the boost I am with these bolts, so that shouldn't be the problem.

How much timing would it take to blow the gasket with low boost? Even if its 26* it should take a while right? I don't know what else to tell these guys, I would expect they are retorqueing the head properly, these aren't hack mechanics...they're genuine Cummins guys, so they should be following the shop manual. I almost retorqued it when I got home, but I had to run to look at a truck with my brother, so I didn't get a chance, when we went to look at the truck the guy wanted to see the mighty Cummins, and when I opened the hood I saw that the heater line and radiator hose were under pressure (bulging out) so i knew something was wrong.

This might sound dumb, but is there any chance that both Cummins and the machine shop missed a crack in the head? Or has anyone ever heard of a 97 12V with a cracked block? I can't see any reason why it would be cracked, unless they put 53 blocks in 97's.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:15 PM

53 block will crack under the exhaust manifold and dump your coolant on the ground, not leak combustion into the cooling system.

I'd think they should have found where it was leaking when they took it apart.

Let us know what they end up fixing.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:17 PM

Yea...trust me when they finally figure it out, well, IF they figure it out I'll be sure to post it.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll bet all the head gaskets came from the same batch. Could be a bad batch of gaskets!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they check the deck for levelness? maybe it's the block??
Old 12-10-2007, 06:03 PM

It could be a bad batch of gaskets, but I doubt it. I would hope they checked the block for flatness after sending the head out to be planed, and after blowing a gasket immediately after firing. Who knows. I dropped the truck off this morning, no word yet, but hopefully soon. I'm sick of not having a truck to drive.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:14 PM

these aren't hack mechanics...they're genuine Cummins guys,
Hack mechanics work at all types of shops regardless of the shops name. Being able to wrench and being able to diagnose are two completely different things...

Is the head gasket blowing in the exact same spot every time? Do you have the same mechanic working on your truck each time?

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Blows Again (3rd time in a week)!!!