12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

hard start cold or hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard start cold or hot

I recently bought a 96 2500 12v with a manual trans w/ 216k. I drove it around for a week or so without any issues (relatively short trips but always getting the engine up to temp) and now it takes 4-5 attempts of turning the engine over (approx 3-4 seconds each attempt) to get it to start regardless of engine temp. The engine turns over very quickly and starts without hesitation when it decides to fire. The power and idle are fine when driving. I am always sure to let the grid heater to cycle before I turn the key. I have tried just barely touching the throttle when turning it over and that doesn't help. The truck is all stock except for a new lift pump in the tank, BHAF, and KPD tabbed. Maybe its losing fuel prime? How do you fix something like that? Also, I live in oregon and its quite mild temps here 50s and 60s this time of yr. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 AM

When starting my 96 I always give it about 1/4 throttle. See if that helps, if so You may just need to adjust your idle up a little.

Floyd
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks I will try that, and I was wondering where my idle should be. I think a couple times I have tried giving it a decent amount of throttle. When running it idles at about 600 rpm right now without any throttle. Also, am I in any danger of flooding the engine when I do this? If this doesn't work what would I try next?

I also have an issue with the ignition switch which I think is possibly unrelated to the starting issue. Sometimes I will let the grid heater turn on and wait to start, then I will turn the key rest of the way to engage the starter and nothing will happen. The radio turns off then back on once I stop turning the key. I'll give it a few attempts and it will finally engage. I cleaned the battery terminals thoroughly with a wire brush and anti-corrosion cleaner. The batteries turn the engine over very quickly when I get it to go. Again this is an annoying inttermittent problem just like the previous problem with no start after 3-5 attempts of turning the engine over. I dont' see how they could be related. Where could I look for a shorts? Bad ground somewhere?? Thanks for the help
Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Idle speed should be 750-800 RPMs.

You don't have to wait for the grid heater in those temperatures, she fires straight away.

Try bumping the starter, not starting it though, leave the key on, and make sure your fuel solenoid is completely in the up position. Could be as simple as some corrosion on the lift side of the fuel relay.