12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Good Diesel Shop to Adjust Timing 12valve in Denver/Castle Rock Co.Area

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Diesel Shop to Adjust Timing 12valve in Denver/Castle Rock Co.Area

Hi,
Have been reading and decided to join. Question: does anyone know of a Good and Honest Diesel shop that can adjust the timing on my 98 12 valve? I live near Castle Rock Co and can go to Denver or Colorado Springs.
Thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I have used Douglas county diesel years ago and had no problems with them. Earlier this year I had castle rock auto repair do some work on the truck a couple times this year and thought them to be quite fair on pricing and I was satisfied with what they did and would use them again. They are in the same building (same owners) as Douglas county diesel however their labor rates are lower.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BarryG
I have used Douglas county diesel years ago and had no problems with them. Earlier this year I had castle rock auto repair do some work on the truck a couple times this year and thought them to be quite fair on pricing and I was satisfied with what they did and would use them again. They are in the same building (same owners) as Douglas county diesel however their labor rates are lower.

Thanks, I'll check them out!
Old 12-04-2014, 09:51 AM

I called Douglas County Diesel and was told (James is their 12 valve guy) that he could adjust the pump from the back side---doesn't have the equipment to do it from the front.

Anyway, they told me that not many wanted to do this because it wore out the internals in the pump.-----never heard of that.

I just wanted to bump the timing to 16* what do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
While I know nothing of 12 valve pumps I do know James to a certain degree and over the last 14 years he has done more work on my truck than anyone else outside of myself, just not in the last few years. I actually thought he had left there as I had not seen him at all when I went in for emissions tests or questions the last few years. That's one reason why I tried castle rock auto for an air conditioning issue a couple years ago then they got bought out by dc diesel and moved into their building. The work that James did on my truck was always quality and never had a problem with it.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I guess I never heard of either front side or back side adjustments on a P7100.

Could someone explain the difference? The only way I know to correctly adjust the timing from stock is with the dial indicator off of the plunger.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I guess I never heard of either front side or back side adjustments on a P7100.

Could someone explain the difference? The only way I know to correctly adjust the timing from stock is with the dial indicator off of the plunger.

That's what I thought and what I meant from the front-----however the mechanic said that he could get me close to what I wanted by working on the back of the pump----if I understood what he was saying.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This is the kind of thing I would NEVER do...call ATS in Aurora I am sure they can help ya out...tell em Lary Ellis from DTR sent ya
Old 12-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Fox
That's what I thought and what I meant from the front-----however the mechanic said that he could get me close to what I wanted by working on the back of the pump----if I understood what he was saying.
Ask him if he means pin timing it.

If so, it will only take it back to stock timing ( you don't need a tool to do this ), unless of course you have sent your pump in to be freshened up and re-pinned to the timing value you want to be "stock"

I'm going to go with Lary's advise and say take it to ATS, not taking anything away from this mechanic, he may not be well versed in hotrodding them........
Old 12-05-2014, 05:45 PM

Thanks guys---good idea, I'll give them a call!