12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Goerends or ATS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerends or ATS

Hey fellas i hav a 95 3/4 and i am looking at a trans rebuild. I have ben looking around at Goerends and ATS. How do they compare. Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Few people can compare, having not used both. Many have biases, largely unwarranted, based on hearsay. I am biased towards the ATS because they are nearby, they provided me with excellent service, and their product is bulletproof. Also, as I am an engineer, I recognize the ATS advantage of having a totally engineered package with components proven to work well together, and each unit bench tested.

Delete: Goerends seems to throw in parts depending on what you say you need, asssembly and testing is by the customer.

Last edited by Rare1; 04-14-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: I'm learning...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I will agree with one thing, go with a reputable vendor close to you.

I am also a Mechanical Engineer, and having talked with Dave, fully understand he knows Transmissions like few ever will.

I don't appreciate being pigeonholed into a "Stage" or "Package"

Not to say one is better than another, just personal preference.

And Goerends certainly does test, build and install like the ones who advertise all over the place.

To the OP, you may well also want to investigate DTT, HTS, and I am sure there are a few more reputable builders out there.

The real key is proximity and reputation.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the search feature and see who has issues and those who do not.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM

I like my Goerands in both my trucks, both have been great. As for testing,, Dave at Goerands testes every trans he builds before he ships or installs them. They are run thru the gears 2 times min. each.He has 2 engines he bolts the rebuilt trans up to and makes sure all is perfect. I have had both mine installed at his shop in Iowa, and seen how he builds them. He builds them to what you want,, not say a Stage 1, or 2 or 3. He will ask you how much HP you have and what you plan to use the truck for,, and he will build it that way.

Not to argue, I am sure ATS builds good ones to. Like DTT does and Suncoast to. I am just happy with how Dave treated me and how his trans have both lasted in my trucks
Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 AM

Ask ATS or any other vendor what the warranty is on the trans.. Then ask Dave what his warranty is... and if your worried about HP.. I have a billet input and asked him how much power can I run through it before I have to worry.. He says.. Don't worry.. I got guys running over 800HP through them with no issues... I says.. yea..I don't think I'll have a problem in the power department..
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Goerends seems to throw in parts depending on what you say you need, asssembly and testing is by the customer

As above they are tested, I went to a Goerend authorized shop meaning the shop owner had spent a week at Dave's shop leaning about the transmissions

Mine came fully put together with 100k mile warranty and the local authorized shop installed it

I am very happy with it, it is unbelievable the difference it made in my truck

Give them all a call and tell them what you'll be doing with your truck and then make your decision
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM

I don't have either and can only offer this: I have not read any negative posts about Dave Goerend. I have read a few about ATS.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed! I have no dog in this hunt either...... but ATS has, by far, the most negative owner's comments on this site of any of the big 4 tranny shops.
'95twotone' - As mentioned above.... do a search for ATS and judge for yourself.
Also, list your location and I'm sure others will provide reports on installers in your area.

RJ
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver Ram
I don't have either and can only offer this: I have not read any negative posts about Dave Goerend. I have read a few about ATS.
Same here.
I have a Suncoast with no complaints but there seems to be quite a few ATS complaints on the diesel boards I visit.
No complaints, only complements for Goerend.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 PM
vrj

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Regarding Goerend vs ATS, or any of the other trans. companies, it is truly hard to get an actual picture from others negative posts unless you have all the information.

I would not rebuild any Dodge transmission on 2500's or 3500's unless, at the least they put in the below:

- High Performance Torque Converter
- High Performance Valve Body
- Billet Input Shaft
- Billet Flexplate (A/T)
- Fully upgrade transmission parts with high perf. parts

Otherwise, it is only a matter of time before problems are discovered. Why would you upgrade only a few parts to save money and then inside 6-12 mos. of trying to pull heavy loads or street race you are complaining that the transmission has problems.

I am thinking about going with an ATS transmission with the below parts:

- High Performance Torque Converter (5 Star)
- High Performance Valve Body
- Billet Input Shaft
- Billet Flexplate (A/T)
- Fully upgrade transmission w/ high perf. parts
- Mag Hytec aluminum transmissin pan
- ATS Commander

Also, if you start adding up the cost of the parts when comparing ATS vs Goerend which I have done based upon the above list (minus the Commander), I have come up with a range of approx. $5,500 - $6,100 for parts.

I like the Goerend transmissions also but the ATS makes the Commander. Also, I like that an authorized transmission shop is only a few miles from my house and ATS has a 5 yr/500,000 mile warranty. I read the warranty twice and discussed it with the Authorized shop in my area.

I went on the Goerend site to investigate and they don't list any shops except to say to call a phone number for the nearest shop.

I would solicit anyone who has a Stage 4 ATS transmission or Hi-Perf. Goerend transmission to please advise of the problems they have had or having including if you have Raced the truck and/or Pulled a heavy load.

Its hard to believe these transmissions with hi-perf. parts had major problems just by driving done the street or highway.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have heard NOTHING but great reviews about Goerend.

That being said, I have beat this ATS to death, and it keeps coming back for more.

I know that this is not for a third gen, but ATS has treated me right.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by vrj

I like that an authorized transmission shop is only a few miles from my house and ATS has a 5 yr/500,000 mile warranty.
There's your sign.

Seriously, both make good transmissions, if I had a reputable ATS dealer a few miles from my house, you had better believe that is where I would be going.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:26 AM

I'm on my 2nd full ATS trans first one was stage IV this one is stage V. Last one had pan full of metallic colored fluid they replaced under warranty and I upgraded the intermediate to billet. This new one hasn't been right since day one. It goes from 120-200+ sitting in drivethru. Now it sounds like I have a huge cam when I put it in gear till it is driven for a few miles. It's getting pulled and going with Suncoast parts as needed by a trans builder here in town.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:26 PM

To OP -
I would do your research on the forum, and internet and read the reviews that people have on both of those shops.

I am personally a fan of Gorend (Although I haven't purchased a transmission through him). I have bought several torques through Dave and they are all top quality. Another thing is if you call Gorend you get to talk to Dave. Explain to him what you plan on doing with your truck, what power range you are trying to achieve and what you plan on using the truck for. He will not try to rip your arm or leg off and sell you a hand full of stuff that you do not need.
I can't say that about any of the other vendors as I have not dealt w/ them.

I have installed many Suncoast kits in Allisons, and the A518s, customers would spend 2,500-3,000+ and bring the parts to our shop for us to rebuild.
My experience w/ Suncoast I am not very happy w/. I feel they are more of a bigger, name brand w/ inferior customer service (which is a BIG thing when you are investing the amount of $ you are.

Do your research, there are a handfull of vendors out there who build some great transmissions, get an estimate from them all, and a feel for who you are dealing with. And do not forget to add a trans temp gauge to your list!

Also in this thread, finding a reputable shop to do the removal and installation is a good idea too!

-Jared

Quick Reply: Goerends or ATS