12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

fuel shut off help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel shut off help

my truck wont start and I think it is the shut off, it ran perfect and i shut it off and 5 minutes later it wont start, I loosened the bango bolt on the side of the inj pump where the fuel comes from the filter and turned it over and fuel came out but if I crack the line going to the injector there is no fuel commong out. I suspect the fuel shut off, my question is if I lift the plunger up with my hand is there still a posibility that it wont start because of the shut off or should I look else where?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will add my 2cents here, but there are more informed people out there. How many miles on the truck? Go ahead, lift the plunger, see if it moves easily. Get someone to try to start the engine, see if it moves up as he tries to start it. If it does not, you may have burned wires at the relay, a common problem. If the plunger does move, then the fuel problem is probably somewhere else. Hand prime your lift pump, do you feel fuel or air? If air, your problem is there, somewhere in the lines of the fuel
system. If so, that can be a tricky process to find the leak. If you have high miles, and you do have a air leak, you will probably be recommended to replace all the fuel lines from the tank to the IP, and back. Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM

I can prime it and fuel come out of the bleeder screw on top of the filter and no air so i dont think it is the lift pump, I can move the plunger freely by hand and if i turn the key on and lift it it will stay up but I will have to get someone to turn the key for me to have a look at it. it has 185k miles on it, I dont know if that is classified as high or not.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:16 PM

fuel shut-off solenoid.....put the key into the on position...get out of the truck and push the solenoid up...then crank away...it should start..now that u fooled around with the banjo bolt it may take a little longer but it should go...otherwise check to see if the blue wire from the fuel shut off solenoid is ok and not corroded
Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

As stated above manually pull up with key in on position and be sure you have proper voltage i.e battery connections. It may have enough to turn the engine over and start but with the voltage drop it may not have enough to pull in
Old 09-20-2006, 08:12 PM

I lifted it with the key on and it held it up and then tryed to start it and still nothing wont even try to start just rolls over(really fast) I had the charger on it to make sure the battery voltage was up. I will try checking the blue wire for corrosion, I will get someone to roll it over tommorrow while I hold up the plunger, but if that doesnt work where do I look from there? is there some kink of test I can do to see if the inj pump is bad? they dont normaly just quit instantly like that do they? thanks guys
Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 PM

i am having the same problem although if i turn the key to on then manually push to plunger up until it sticks, it starts right up. as was mentioned, i can't help but think that you may just have some air in your fuel line. i would try pumping your lp a bunch more to try to get some fuel through and then try again.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Most likley you have air in your injector lines now. If you have access to a air compressor, try pressuring the tank with no more than 10psi and crack your number one injector line. Turn key and lift up while cranking, when she starts tighten the line and tear into your solenoid and clean it up and put a new boot on or a bicycle tube will do the job also. Maybe you and arroyojim could spit the cost of the tube!! Ha. The lift pumps on the second gens don't fail,unlike the third gens does. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 PM

I dont think it is air because it would not start before I opened the lines up so that tells me air is not a problem but I will try it anyways, Im desprate.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Crank the starter then leave the key "ON"- go check the solenoid, the lever should still be "UP" if you didn't turn the key off after cranking it.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:37 PM

I got my wife to crank it and it didnt lift up sot there must be something with the relay or a wire or somthing but I lifted it buy hand and it still would not start, it wouldnt even bark ar anything what next?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get your wife and go out to a nice dinner, forget about your truck. You say that you can hand prime it and get fuel to the bleed valve. Next, I would crack the #1 injector 3/4 turn and have your wife crank the engine. That is a start, you may want to loosen it more, but be careful. Doing it this way will spin the IP as well as the lift pump. Make sure that your solenoid is up. You SHOULD now get fuel squirting out in pulses. If not, you absolutely have a
fuel delivery problem somewhere, and that could be a start of the repair process.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Did you do anything to your truck and then start having problems? Just wondering cause you stated it ran perfect then you shut it off and tried it 5min later. So start with one problem at a time. As far as the starting goes make sure solenoid is up completly, turn the engine over with lines cracked doesn't mater how many, you could do all if you like. Mor than likely you do not have a problem in the system up to the injection pump as far as air you can have a little and it would still try to start. Like stated above fuel should come out in pulses if not pull the oil fill tube off of front timing cover and make sure nut is good and tight. Now the solenoid, if you have a meter check your pull in voltage while cranking , you obviously have good hold in voltage but you will need proper voltage to pull the solenoid in. I have found that 10v was not enough. Good luck
Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 PM

thanks guys I will check this stuff tommorrow, and no I didnt do anything to the truck when I shut it off I drove to the bank and I shut if off went inside and when I came out it would not start, would not even try, so I change the fuel filter just in case(it was over due) but still wouldnt start, I primed the fuel filter properly but I did all of this after the the truck would not start so I know that has nothing to do with it. Thanks guys if anybody has any other sugestions lets hear them because I baffeled that it wont start with the plunger raised by hand.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you prefill the new fuel filter with diesel?
Perhaps the fuel you used was dirty and plugged things up.
Had this happen on one rig that was towed in, took a long time to figure out that the injectors were all full of crud.

Quick Reply: fuel shut off help