12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Fuel Filter Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cj360trider
Patdaly you are right...dumbazz moment on my end there. i think i still want the bowl so i dont have to dink around with the stacked banjos. and 9812vram wud putting that much filter(s) in the same spot as the original not be more of a pain in the azz? that is 1 of the 2 reasons im looking at doing this. thanks for the PN's im gonna look into the 10 mic filter. i want to run 2 filters in parallel. i thot about this for a lil bit and came to the conclusion parallel is better than series. reason being if one is already plugged the other will still flow just fine until its plugged. the fuel will take the path of least resistance. in series if one plugs it will cause issues and you will undoubtedly replace both every time just 1 is plugged. so that being said your filter service intervals wud most likely be shorter. and the cold fuel gel problem ive thot about as well. im thinkin IF i needed to do that id get another trans/coolant heat exchanger like is mounted underneath the exh manifold on an auto truck, run coolant to it and fuel thru it. anyone ever replaced one of those and know about what they run? at the same time id find a block heater that circulated and heated coolant at the same time that way early morning starts are not as rough.

Ya, having those big filters in there is kinda tight, but I'm still hoping it will be easier (and less messy) to change them than the original filter. The forward filter is more in the open than the original and once it's removed, the rear filter is in the open... Should work... but your coolant circulating idea is top notch. You're right about running two same size filters in series too - the first will plug and the second won't do a thing. The reason I went with two in series is I wanted tighter filtering. I accomplish this in two steps - the first filter is 10 micron, second is 2 micron (this may be a little tight... time will tell). I have two ISSPRO fuel gauges coming and they will be hooked into the ports I drilled and tapped in the middle of those filter heads (both are on the clean side of the filters). This way I can tell which filter is plugged. I'd guess 99% of the time it's going to be the 2 micron filter, but the 10 micron will take the bulk of any crap out of the fuel. Sooooo.... Filtration capacity in my case should still be drastically improved over stock.