12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you bit your tounge off yet . Wait till you pull with it now. Youll be passing everything on the road, even with a trailer behind you. Did you put the plate in yourself? Did you turn the starwheel, and move the afc housing too? Good luck with the truck.

Eric
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by DRM
"nope" on the 3k springs, timing and vavles.

Truck seems to pull nicely about 200 rpm higher than before, but am gathering funds currently for the 3k springs.

Once that is in - I will be taking it to a local shop to have the timing and valves checked and set.
Prepare for some biting......
Old 01-19-2004, 09:50 PM
DRM

Originally posted by cumminsdriver635
Have you bit your tounge off yet . Wait till you pull with it now. Youll be passing everything on the road, even with a trailer behind you. Did you put the plate in yourself? Did you turn the starwheel, and move the afc housing too? Good luck with the truck.

Eric
We did the star wheel about 2 weeks ago. I actually took pics and plan on doing a nic simple "how-to" on my web site since easy instructions with pictures are NOT plentiful on the web.

Yes, we did the plate ourselves (buddy and me). Simple really - the fuel filter relocation kit added a few steps, but not too bad.

We left the housing as close to the stock location as we could, plate is just a hair forward of stock (Est. 5 thou forward).
Old 01-24-2004, 04:50 PM

Have you done any pulling yet?

Eric
Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 AM
DRM

no, I have not had a chance yet. Was hoping to hook up to my loaded trailer this weekend, but was not able to. I will be renting a ditch-digger for this Friday, so I will see how it pulls that.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM

Let us know how it goes pulling . How does your torque converter seem to like the power? Does it slip any when you step on it in high gear? If it does, shoot me a PM.

Eric
Old 01-26-2004, 02:38 PM
DRM

So far - TC and tranny seem to be acting the same as before. I am *trying* to stay out of it (hard, VERY hard!) but towing will test is nicely.

BTW - I have an AFE intake/filter system that should be here tomorrow, will see how opening up the intake helps things out
Old 01-26-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opening the intake will probably do more to lower your EGT's than it will to add power. I saw on another thread where you were getting the AFE Magnum Force intake. Not a bad price, but I think I'm going to spend $20 more and get a Scotty Air II.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:02 PM
DRM

Hmmm... I thought the Scotty II was over $200 plus shipping? Oh well - too late now
Old 01-27-2004, 12:47 AM

DRM,

Are you happier with your truck now?
Old 01-27-2004, 11:53 AM
DRM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
DRM,

Are you happier with your truck now?
Why yes, yes I am

The fuel plate really made the difference - far more than I could have ever imagined was possible with such a simple modification.

Obviously there are still some "bugs & tweaks" I need to get worked out, but I am definately on the right track.

Assuming it tows better now, about the only other thing I could ask for was btter than the 14.5-15 mpg I am getting now.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 PM

I assume that you still havent bumped up the timing and adjusted the valves....

I know this costs a bit but if you havent done it yet, it would be a good idea, IMO....
Old 02-01-2004, 07:54 PM
DRM

Nope - waiting till I get all the things *I* can sort out done first

Speaking of which - turns out my heat/temp reading issue was the T-stat! The rubber shroud was sucked halfway down into the stat body, and obviously not allowing it to close off flow, and heat the engine up properly.

Bad part is - AutoZone has the wrong part in their system, and no other parts store had one in stock late on a Sunday afternoon

Hope to pick one up from Advance Auto Parts or the dealership tomorrow so I can get this thing back together!

I have *heard* that this should bring performance up since I was running off an engine that was too cool - is it true?

Seems the fuel plate and AFE intake brought mileage back up 1 mpg, would love to get another one
Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 PM

I would definatley bet that that is one of the reasons your truck wasnt running as good as it should. Thats the reason diesels are very doggy when you first take off in the morning. The engine needs to be hot before it will perform as good as it should.

Eric
Old 02-02-2004, 06:14 PM
DRM

Well, Cummins thermostat is in place, started it and let it idle 4-5 minutes, never saw the gauge come up... should it have? I will be test driving it in an hour or so, I'll see if it rises on the drive, or maybe look at there still being a sending unit or gauge problem as well.

BTW - from the looks of the corrosion/wear on the T-stat, gaskets, and housing This T-stat has been in there for a LONG time, if not all 375k+ miles...

Haven't you guys had fun following along with my little saga?

Quick Reply: First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?