12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:07 PM
DRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell it? I am gonna try a few more things before I give up on her

Got pyro and boost gauges on her today, gonna take a few days of driving to get baselines and see what they do.

On the first test drive - boost is nada at idle and gets up to about 25 or so on WOT.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:27 PM

Sounds like you have great boost for stock. My 94 has no boost at idle either, but when i use my lockup switch in 2nd gear, i get 32 pounds with the plate and boost elbow. Time to MOVE THE PLATE FULL FORWARD now!!! THat will definatley help the power, and now that you can monitor EGT's it wont be a problem. Straight pipe it, and move the plate. A year ago me and my buddy(both 15 at time) moved the plate on his 95, and took us about 1 and 1/2 hours, and we had no trouble at all. Or you couls go ahead and get an aftermarket . Either way it should pick up some decent power. If you turn the starwheel toward the motor some, it will help on power, and youll have a little smoke with it. Good luck .
Im intrested in how this works out.

Eric
Old 01-12-2004, 07:06 PM

25lbs. is a good boost #. At what RPM was this at and what kind of egt's?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:09 AM
DRM

25 lbs was about the most boost I have seen in the last 2 days since the install - and that was WOT and around 2200/2300 rpm. Even at that, pre-turbo egt's were topping out at a hair over 1000, unloaded of course.

Does all of that sound about right?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:09 AM

Those #'s sound about right for stock. The egt's could be deceiving if you still have the cat on, may drop a couple hundred degrees with removal of the cat, then you would know you were lacking in the fuel department.
Valve lash would be something to do anyway. That many miles, who knows how long it's been. Valve lash will also have an effect on mileage.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:45 PM
DRM

Steve- I think once the plate is on (did I mention the #10 plate that is in the mail to me? ), exhaust is next (4" turbo back kit), and then to the local diesel shop to have vavles adjusted and timing set. Sound like a good plan?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:56 PM

Yeah, sounds like a good plan.....in fact pretty much what I said a couple of weeks ago.....make sure you replace the prefilter on the fuel filter.....when ya get all that done I think youll be more than happy....

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
This isnt normal...the CTD is a towing machine....once rectified, you'll bite you tongue off for saying u want your Ford back....

When is the last time the timing was adjusted and the valve lash set??

Just a few suggestions, the timing has probably slipped....have it set to around 15.5 degrees, get a new fuel plate and a 3k or 4k GSK kit.

http://www.tstproducts.com/power_kits_trial.htm
Old 01-13-2004, 09:29 PM
DRM

pre-filter is the screen, right? Yep - definately on my list too
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 PM
DRM

Oh, and probably gonna add the 3k spring kit too, of TS would ever return my email
Old 01-13-2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by DRM
pre-filter is the screen, right? Yep - definately on my list too
Yeah...the screen...

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/fil...filt_clean.htm

Good luck with the truck....
Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM

#10 plate ought to wake your truck up pretty good. I read that with your truck you should see about 220hp, and 570 torque, so that would be pretty good. Sounds like you have some pretty good plans for your truck. Like what was mentioned a few posts back; youll bite your tongue off for saying you would like the v-10 back. I have never really ridden in one, but i know you will have a lot more torque than a v-10 when you get done. Youll definatley realize the shortcomings of the transmission when pulling, but it should still leave the v-10 sitting still on the hills if you can keep youre torque converter locked up. Good luck. If you need any help, just ask .

Eric
Old 01-18-2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by DRM
Oh, and probably gonna add the 3k spring kit too, of TS would ever return my email
I've been away from the board for a few days. DRM, how are things going? If you're referring to TST, they will get back to you. I talked to Mark Chapple of TST last Monday, of course he was returning my call from Friday. Some of these vendors are busy people and don't spend as much time at a computer as some of us do.
The modifications sound great, just be sure it's what you want. Be sure to make little changes, doing too many things at once will make it difficult to see where the improvements were made.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:42 PM
DRM

You can check my threads in the "performance" forum, but I added the #10 plate this weekend and it REALLY woke the truck up. Haven't pulled with it yet, but the unloaded results are pretty impressive so far. I am seeing boost (without the boost elbow) reach 30-32 psi, so that kicked up nicely. Heck - I can even brake stand and burn some tire rubber now

Still no intake or exhaust mods, planning to look at the intake side in a few weeks, then move on to exhaust changes from there.

I can't wait to drop my trailer and a vehicle behind this truck and see what this got me.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:06 PM

Did you just put the plate in or did you do all the other things?? ie: valve lash, timing, GSK springs???
Old 01-19-2004, 03:29 PM
DRM

"nope" on the 3k springs, timing and vavles.

Truck seems to pull nicely about 200 rpm higher than before, but am gathering funds currently for the 3k springs.

Once that is in - I will be taking it to a local shop to have the timing and valves checked and set.

Quick Reply: First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?