12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DRM, you haven't said if you were pulling the grade with OD locked in or out. If you were pulling it with OD on, the TCC won't lock up in 3rd gear, which you were probably pulling in. Without the Torque Converter locked up, a lot of the power that these engines come with is gone to waste, and also it will get the tranny pretty warm. You said that the TCC was locking in and out, maybe that is your Throttle Position Sensor, and it wouldn't let you make speed when the TCC unlocks. Does your TCC lock in and out sparatically when driving around, especially under light throttle on light grades? If so, you should clean your TPS, and go from there.

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 AM

DRM,

In addition to the items listed below, you should also look at the prefilter on your fuel filter. This could be partially plugged, reducing performance.

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/fil...filt_clean.htm

http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/maint/2nd_Gen-12v.htm

I suspect your problem is something else besides a fuel plate. These rigs can and do tow quite well in stock form. With that milage, and the relatively little history of the truck, I would look at performing the maintanance before adding performance modifications.

Good Luck.

Previous posting:

Id recommend changing ALL oils and filters. Removing the cat (likely plugged), resetting the timing, checking the overflow valve, and resetting valve lash. Another possibility is a bad lift pump (this is rare on a 12V but possible with this kind of milage) - may be a good idea to check the fuel pressure...or bad injector/s....

Old 01-02-2004, 11:31 AM
DRM

Originally posted by Crimedog
DRM, you haven't said if you were pulling the grade with OD locked in or out. If you were pulling it with OD on, the TCC won't lock up in 3rd gear, which you were probably pulling in.
I will try to explain:

Started hill @ around 75 mph in OD, 2100 rpm or so. Truck started losing rpm and speed, so I tried kicking the OD off. Engine rpm immediately skyrockets to 2800 rpm, and power SUCKS. As I crest the hill, rpm's drop and I felt what seemed like a "second 3rd gear" change (now realize it was the TC) then upshift back into OD.

FYI - when climbing I had the pedal to the floor and the tranny will NOT downshift out of OD on it's own at all.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:56 PM

I've got a stock 1996 2500. I've got 4.10s and from the RPMS you posted it looks like you've got 3.54s. I'll tell you what my experiences are towing.

These trucks really don't downshift at WOT unless the speed REALLY drops off...so don't worry too much about that.

I towed 7000 lbs over some of the steepest grades in NY last week. I could pull any hill at 70 MPH without trouble.

My truck never smokes, being stock.

Expect the power to run out over 2750 RPMs. The governor springs back the fuel off at that RPM.

I'd take the advice of the others and start checking things out.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 01-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by joebiodiesel

Expect the power to run out over 2750 RPMs. The governor springs back the fuel off at that RPM.

I'd take the advice of the others and start checking things out.

Good luck,

Joe
The gov. springs start defueling [ backing off the fuel ] at about 2200 rpms.
It starts gradually and winds up about 2750 rpms.

That is the reason a 3K set of gov. springs would really pick up the preformance with that slushbox.

: Eddie :
Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 PM

DRM, let us know when you get the gauges. I think you have a fuel problem. As Dr. Evil mentioned, the screen in the fuel heater could be plugged. Several other things would be the AFC not getting a good boost signal, overflow valve could be soft, or your Primeloc filter setup could be causing trouble. All of these are quite simple to work on and relatively inexpensive to cure.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:37 PM
DRM

Thanks to all!

A friend is coming over tomorrow, and I will start with a good thorough visual inspection of EVERYTHING we can.

joebiodiesel - yes, 3.55's w/ 265/76 16 tires.

Gauges should be here around the end of next week hopefully for a weekend install - then I can see where I stand on that.

The cat may come off tomorrow as well, we'll see.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:29 PM
DRM

Not much done today really - we did roll the star wheel over a few clicks, enough to get a wee bit of smoke when I get on the throttle and what seemed like a faster response and shortened time before the turbo spools up. Ordered some fuel filters from Geno's Garage to fit the PrimeLoc setup already on there. I think a BHAF or complete intake system may be coming soon - not sure.

Looked over the exhaust - exhaust seems to have some sort of cat-back system on there already, the muffler is definately not stock. Did not have the pieces to bypass the cat, so that may have to get done later this week.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:16 PM

Let us know when you make some progress .

Eric
Old 01-04-2004, 11:57 PM

Have you checked your cat???......my bet is that its plugged...which tends to hurt performance a lot....good luck.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Hey man, look at it like this, when you get it workin properly. Youll have your cummins, explorer all for the same price as that v10. of course. The cummins has 200k more than your V10 :P
Old 01-10-2004, 09:04 AM
DRM

Originally posted by kingofdodge7131
Hey man, look at it like this, when you get it workin properly. Youll have your cummins, explorer all for the same price as that v10. of course. The cummins has 200k more than your V10 :P
lol

Got rid of a V10 with 75k miles, and got an Expedition with 118k and the Dodge with 275k... But it's all good
Old 01-10-2004, 10:55 AM

yeah, reconized the situation from a Ford v-10 forum. made me feel kinda smart
Old 01-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Muted User

Check all of the engine spec's like the fella's have said but remember that this is an automatic truck and that you're starting with 20 hp and 45 less lp ft of torque. I had the same issues with my truck and have owned it since it was brand new. If you set all of the valves and timing and all of the sensors are ok then this is you're starting point. Try to find the previous owner and what was done to the transmission. If they put a rebuilt converter in it you aren't going to pull well as this converter isn't any better than stock. You're converter needs to hook up sooner and your valve body needs to supply the pressures to keep it cool and locked up under load. This is essential when towing. After you repair/replace the transmission parts that need fixed then do the pump work and injectors and you will see what a huge difference there is from the mighty Cummins to that thing you got rid of and you will not be sorry you bought it. I know, I've gone through this with my 24 valve and would never think of buying any gasser now.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned

If your still un-impressed with it's performance, sell it !

Quick Reply: First tow with CTD - less than impressed... help?