12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Engine braking dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine braking dilemma?

Howdy, I’m new here and hope to access some of your collective wisdom. I have a ’98 12 valve diesel, 4x4 towing a 5th wheel trailer. After a Banks, billet torque converter and a major transmission job I love the truck. It is fine on the open highways. My problem is that ’98 was the only year that California required exhaust gas recirculation on a diesel, prohibiting installation of an exhaust brake.
On downhill runs leaving the Sierra Mountains, the repeated 10mph switchbacks severely overheat the brakes many times before I can get out of the mountains. This necessitates frequent stops to throw water on the truck and trailer brakes or adds about 8 hours to a ten mile trip to repeatedly air cool the brakes. You can easily see that neither option is acceptable.
Can anyone suggest a way to get engine braking from this model or is replacing the truck the only option?
Thank you, one and all, for any pearls of wisdom.
D Nut
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Disable the EGR and get an exhaust brake.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Disable the EGR and get an exhaust brake.
Not an option! It is illegal with a stiff penalty and Calif. now requires a smog check of diesels when registering.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Could you add a hidden switch in series with that EGR solenoid, so you could disconnect EGR when using the brake? You're check engine light would come on during these periods, but with the switch in normal position it should cycle off after a few good drives.

I'm not sure how extensive you're smog checks are, but here in MA seems to be the next worse state. I cut a 1/4" steel plate to block off the exhaust manifold side of the egr tube, can't even see it. There is a way to fool the computer with a relay and resistor connected to the EGR solenoid and intake air temp sensor, to make the computer see the values it "should" be seeing when calling for egr activation.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM

It's a gamble that I won't make.

Thanks for trying.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Give Banks a call and see what they recommend> 800-601-8072
Doesn't mean you have to buy their products, just borrow their knowledge. Banks are real sticklers about obeying emissions laws.
I'd like to hear what you find out.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Give Banks a call and see what they recommend> 800-601-8072
Doesn't mean you have to buy their products, just borrow their knowledge. Banks are real sticklers about obeying emissions laws.
I'd like to hear what you find out.
In 2006, at about 70,000 miles my torque convertor went south. Banks installed their Billet Torque Converter and Powerpack and sent me to a local trans shop for a shift kit and Trans rebuild. At that time Calif. was not smog testing diesels but modification of smog equipment was illegal with no ACTIVE enforcement.

I was told, at one time there was a plate sold to block EGR. that had since been taken off the market. I was told that if I could not find one I could fabricate one and install their exhaust brake myself but that Banks would not install it.

I went to other speed shops and manufacturers of exhaust brakes and was repeatedly told that I could bootleg an installation but they would not.

This is just one example of thousands of unintended consequences of poorly thought out legislation written by self serving legislators and signed by self serving governors. Ronald regan called it when he said, "Government is not the solution, government is the problem."
Old 11-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the dimensions for the block off plate. Get a case of beer and a friend with a mill or good plasma torch and install. I don't know how they are going to test its functionality as long as the tube is there.

So keeping the air "clean" is worth having these trucks racing down hill? Total dumb law IMHO..
Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Yes, dumb law!
No, alteration is not an option!
Our prisons are full of slow learners who said, "Who's gonna find out?" And I put a lot of them there. Our city and state coffers are continually padded with money from people with the same slow learner mentality. Traveling that road is a gamble that I will not take!
I put the truck up for sale. See classifieds.

Last edited by D Nut; 11-05-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Additional sentence
Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you wont get any engine braking period you could stick your hand out the window that will help. you only have a few options
#1 plug the egr pipe and install a E brake and a trans valve body .
#2 get a non CA, truck and install a brake
#3 get a newer truck 24V manual trans with a E brake
Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
#3 get a newer truck 24V manual trans with a E brake
How does this E brake work and would you name a few manufacturers?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My understanding was that trucks manufactured before 1998 were exempt from the smog inspections. Were not most of the '98 12 valves actually made before the start of the year? Mine was.

When I installed a BD brake on it, BD supplied a device that held the EGR closed when the brake was applied. I don't know if that device would comply with CA regs.

I doubt that any reputable company would risk losing licensing to install a "test plate" on a EGR tube and without somehow blocking the tube during braking, an exhaust brake is ineffectual.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Danavilla
My understanding was that trucks manufactured before 1998 were exempt from the smog inspections. Were not most of the '98 12 valves actually made before the start of the year? Mine was.

When I installed a BD brake on it, BD supplied a device that held the EGR closed when the brake was applied. I don't know if that device would comply with CA regs.

I doubt that any reputable company would risk losing licensing to install a "test plate" on a EGR tube and without somehow blocking the tube during braking, an exhaust brake is ineffectual.
Thank you, Compadre. I may be getting somewhere. BD offers an EGR operational kit for use with their brake. I assume that is what temporarily blocks returning exhaust gas to the intake when the brake is operational. I will have to do some research to determine if this assumption is correct. If so, I will have to determine if Calif. accepts it.
Can you direct me to BD's custome service or someone who can answer questions. An online search gives a lot of advertisement info but I can find no place to ask questions.

Thank you
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D Nut
How does this E brake work and would you name a few manufacturers?

Thanks
24V have no EGR valve banks /pacbrake/BD
jacobs/usgear all make them.
also I am unaware of any devise that keeps the EGR closed from my understanding the back pressure from the E brake is to strong and pushes the EGR open thats why there blocked off
you could just remove the block off plate when it time for a smog test
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Why not make a blind between the flanges? Everything looks the same, just no function. In an overcrowded prison system, I can't see them throwing you in there for bypassing emissions. Fines, sure, but no prison.

Quick Reply: Engine braking dilemma?