12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

death wobble BLUES... DT Trackbar, KORE frnt

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
death wobble BLUES... DT Trackbar, KORE frnt

OK, so the front end is starting to seriousely suck. I have put on a DT trackbar as the stock one was shot when I bought it. I have KORE front coils with Billstein 5100's on there as well. I had it aligned after the lift. [EDIT]? When I hit a good bump in the road at highway speed the front end does this DW dance for about 5 or 6 shimmies worth and I am left wondering why? Do you think camber or caster adjustments may help me out? I think I have heard some of you talk about putting the camber or caster one, to a non factory spec and having some results. My steering stabilizer looks dead but I don't think that is what is causing this wobble. I do plan on getting it replaced as it's cheap and needs to be done but I really think it's something larger. HELP! Any of your thoughts and or ideas are welcomed

Old 06-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Dont feel bad i have a 96 that does the same thing. I have new track bar, steering stabilizer, tie rod ends. And still the shimmy. It is starting to get rather aggervating. One thing i noticed, just my opinion. It seems 94 to 9? or whatever years seems like the steering designs on these trucks were absolutly not an issue when they were designed. Cause they suck. I know quite of few friends that have had this problem. Although it seems if they replace tires it seems to help. I just cant imagine the tires causeing this problem, but i dont know, maybe. Any advice on this "would" be great.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:03 PM

More caster.....3.2-3.5* should fix you up. Check the steering sector shaft and wheel balance too.......
Old 06-07-2005, 10:00 AM

I feel like I'm in the same boat.

How exactly does death wobble feel? I don't know if I have the prelude to it or what the deal is. Going down the expressway, anytime I was over 75 and hit a bump while taking a curve the truck rocked in a kitty corner type fashion a couple or few times which made it feel awful for handling.

I think you already addressed the two biggest issues, unless your DTT bar is wearing out. I'm pretty sure they say on their site that it has a similiar life cycle of a stock track bar.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM

my wandering problems went away when I sold my 01 4x4, and bought a 2wd. I actually made money on the deal!

I am being a smart..., I know this is not an option for everyone.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM

I agree it is getting old. My 96 wobbles but only when the brakes are on. It doenst pulse through the pedal so someone suggested it WASNT the rotors. Im thinking a complete teardown and new parts are in order, but it will end up being something simple like always and I wont find it until last. Im ebarassed to drive it when it is wobbling like that up to a stop sign, makes me feel like a bad truck owner for not having it fixed, but I cant figure it out!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Boost you will know the wobble when it comes. It feels like your trying to drive on 4 square tires. I have actually heard of reck because of it. It can get so bad it is like its goin to shake your mirrors of and the only thing you can do is jump on the brakes and hold on until it gets to a slow speed then it will vanish as fast as it came.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:54 PM

Death wobble is DEFINATELY NOT COOL..

I had the bolt holding my trackbar to the axle snap.. Got death wobble going about 50MPH!! NOT FUN at all! My passenger side window actually fell off the track and into the inside of the door..

Lucky it didn't break!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:22 PM

Lmao I know i remeber when mine first happened i was passing somebody and it come on about 70. Needless to see i finished my trip home and after a much needed cahnge of underpants i examined the truck. And nothing if you dont know what the death wobble is or what to look for hang on cause your in for one %$#% of a ride. My suggestion to anyone who dont already know is to lay on the ground and watch the tierod end of the trck bar while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth. And if it moves REPLACE it. Heck replace every worn nut, bolt, bushing, fitting, line, axlejoint, headlights whatever lol . Trust me and everyone else you dont EVER want to expeience the DEATH WOBBLE.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:48 PM

I guess I am going to have to give more caster a shot. How do I check the steering sector shaft? Not sure I have heard of this. The wheels are balanced but I have to say that has been a big pain in the but as well. The wheels kept throwing weights. Tires are BFG AT 285's with less than half their life left. Keep em at about 44 psi. What is the factory spec on the caster? Thanks everyone...
Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Throw the factory specs out the window....too much range. Optimum caster is 3.2*L, 3.5*R, .3 cross caster. Set the toe as close to zero as you can get it.

You might need to make sure the shop sets your alignment to YOUR specs, if they set it to "factory" specs it gives them way too much latitude to call it good.