12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

A day in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A day in the shop

Well, I just put on a new set of front pads and rear shoes this past night or so and I've got a delema. No lines were cracked in the process however I had to compress the calipers with a C clamp in order to get the new shoes on. There was enough pressure that fluid came out the top of the closed master cylinder . When that was all said and done, I started the truck, had no pedal and my ABS and parking light were on. I pumped up the pedal and got SOME brake back. It's darker than can be out at the moment so I'll have to wait until morning/tomorrow. I dont think I broke a line or busted a caliper because the truck was in the shop for 24hours and I did the front shoes yesterday... thus no puddle. I'm assuming air got in there somehow so the system needs bled... ?

I also replaced my idler pully today to rig me of that retched squeel I've been talking about. The only thing that made me edgy was the fact that the pully was plastic with no shined surface. But whatever, it's done, fixed... Hope it holds for the time being.

Another part in need of replacement was a rear bearing. While doing so my drum and spindle finally separated themselves. After all that excessive beating, I guess something had to give. It sucks when rust takes hold. Makes some of our lives fun.

Other than that, all went well. Hopefully someone can give me some insight on my brake situation. With any luck... nothing was harmed

Mike
Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On vehicles with front wheel ABS accepted practice is to open the bleeder screw when compressing the caliper. Forcing it with a C-clamp causes damage to the ABS unit.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, my abs and park light went out this morning but when I got home I found out something interesting. I have fluid to my back calipers but my front... have none. I completely removed the caliper bleeder screw and not a drop. Does this mean new calipers?