12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

From the Dark Side cont.-KDP!!!! Gotta know...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Dark Side cont.-KDP!!!! Gotta know...

Ok, tomorrow afternoon I will be putting money where my mouth is- UNLESS- I find the KDP has cracked the timing cover. I checked this out somewhat but after more research have a much better idea where to look.

My question is: since a KDP caused crack is under/behind the idler pully and can't be seen, can I get my finger back there to feel for a crack?? Or see it using a dental mirror??

I DO NOT want to buy this truck with an existing KDP failure.

Thanks for the help!

Big Jimmy
Old 01-08-2006, 09:22 PM
RCW

They crack is easy to find, just use a very bright light and mirror and look for any oil leakage between the timing gearcase or sheet metal cover and the water pump housing. The cracks will usually be in the area where the aluminum case nearly touches the water pump.

The other place to look is down on the bottom of the sheet metal timing cover. There will be a large oil leak that will show a trace back up the side of the gearcase, to somewhere under the belt tightener.

If you find what looks to be cat poop under the front damper, do not worry about that. These engines use a teflon main seal that requires a bit of oil leaking past the seal to lubricate the seal itself.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just use good common sense when looking things over. The KDP can come loose and ride the gears all the way to the oil pan w/out doing any damage. So, damage from the KDP can show up anywhere in that area. Bring a few shop rags and some brake-cleaner to dry things up.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If it is leaking oil that bad why would you buy it anyway? Keep looking.

More than likely it's KDP damage. I've not know these engines to leak alot of oil.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266

More than likely it's KDP damage. I've not know these engines to leak alot of oil.

Its not leaking a lot of oil. But until your post nobody quantified how much would be leaking from KDP damage. It costs me nothing to check this out to be sure though. Otherwise its a nice truck, and if it IS damaged, I will stop the sale.

Big Jimmy
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

If other wise it is a nice truck and your happy with it this is not that big a deal to fix that I would let it stop the sale, maybe cause to re-negotiate.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Banned

are you kidding me? replacing the timing case requires the entire front of the truck to come off! radiator, intercooler, AC evaporator, grill, bumper... fluids drained, AC recharged, etc.

it's a lot of work. I wouldn't do it for less than $1k! LOL!

if you can get a couple grand knocked off, fine, but it's not a 1hr job like tabbing the pin!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:39 AM

I was wondering about that. One link I found showed pictures of the process and it was certainly NOT where I want to be going with a new to me truck. I could do it, but as with many of you, my life is just a little bit more complicated than that- meaning I don't/can't give it that much time.

Big Jimmy
Old 01-09-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266

I agree

but i do disagree about the leaky oil issue. IF the bottom end is loose or you have loose screws u will have oil all over the bottom of the oil pan. But substancial leaking from where it is described, has to be somethin more than just loose screws.. Id back away... and find another truck

Tx
Old 01-09-2006, 01:11 PM

These things will tend to leak oil in a couple of places,timing cover seal right behind the dampner,oil pan, the bolts will vibrate loose, timing cover itself ,again the bolts will vibrate loose thus you usually pull them and reseat them with loctite when you do the kdp.If the kdp has let go it will usually show up as a very significant leak if it cracks the timing cover hard enough.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM

if it is cracked, it's a great barganing tool. Tell them it's 10 + hrs of shop labor plus parts. if they want to sell it for 2-3k less, you'll take it. if not, tell them to make sure they disclose this problem with the next potential buyer.

if you haven't got the time, look for another one. you'll find one.