12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Changing a clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing a clutch

I need to up grade my clutch, want to put on a Southbend Con O. How hard is it to put in a new clutch? What kind of tools are required?
Do you have to pull the transfer case off and drop the tranny right out?

Also I wanted to replace the rear engine seal if it is leaking. I know that the fly wheel has to be removed to get at this. Then what? Is the seal right there and easy to take off and bolt on? My guess is that the tranny must be removed for this??
Old 10-08-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crankbender
I need to up grade my clutch, want to put on a Southbend Con O. How hard is it to put in a new clutch? What kind of tools are required?
Do you have to pull the transfer case off and drop the tranny right out?

Also I wanted to replace the rear engine seal if it is leaking. I know that the fly wheel has to be removed to get at this. Then what? Is the seal right there and easy to take off and bolt on? My guess is that the tranny must be removed for this??
Pretty straight forward instalation

once u get the crossmembers off, its just basic bolting and unbolting. It sure helps to have a buddy with you tho, so that one can work on one side and the other does the other side. The tcase and tranny can come apart seperatly if you wanna do a bit more work or change out the seal on the t case to the tranny, i did it, the rear main seal among others got changed out. With a good trans jack you can drop the 4500 tranny with the Tcase, but it is a good 350 lbs or so in weight.... dont sweat it tho, with a good buddy, and good tools its not that bad.. Do make sure tho that you resurface the flywheel for best results on your clutch, and invest in a good TQ wrench to tighten everything to specs, I dont member what they were on my valair tho, i think like 110 ft lbs, im certain it was over 100 tho....

If you have a lift it also makes things that much easier. I learned that one from Blackdiesel...

Rick
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pressure plate bolts are 35-40 ft-lbs
Flywheel to crank bolts are 101 (I take them to 105)

The rear main is EASY once your at that point. You already have to take the flywheel off to have it re-surfaced. Drill a couple holes in the metal lip.. then using a screw in that hole for bite... pry it out.

Using some brake kleen or carb n choke cleaner get all oil and residue off surface and tap new seal into place.