12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Bypass Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bypass Oil Filter

I had a bypass oil filter on a Grand Banks that I lived aboard while stationed in TX. I liked it, alot. I am considering puting one on my Cummins. Anyone using one? Opinions?
Thanks and take care.

Dale/cwoflyboy retired/retarded 30 year Coast Guard
Marianna, FL.

96 2500, bone stock (for now).
Old 01-26-2008, 02:46 PM

I have one on my cummins and I also have them on my backhoe and skid loader. If you plan to keep the truck a long time I think they are worth using. Mine is an Oilguard brand but there are 5 or 6 different brands on the market. I went with Oilguard because the filters are not real expensive. It is a little more inconvenient to change the filter than it would be with a cartrige type bypass filter like the Amsoil one. I have had mine on my Cummins for about 6 years now.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
amsoil oil easy to change with twins love it oil is still gold after driving for a while.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:35 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Frantz by pass filter is what I have the filters are about .80 each and it filters down to .05 microns.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Clayten
Frantz by pass filter is what I have the filters are about .80 each and it filters down to .05 microns.
me to..........
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Clatyton & bobva (The Frantz guys)

How do you like the Frantz setup? If memory serves me, aren't you supposed to run two units? Where did you mount them?
The Gulf Coast is sorta a big brother to the Frantz, you can use a roll of paper towels instead of TP. Gulf Coast doesn't say in their advertisements anymore that you can use paper towels (they used to say you could) but I talked to them and say you can either run their filter elements or the roll of paper towels. I ran paper towels on my boat for years. Did a great job.
Thanks and take care.
Dale cwoflyboy
Old 01-27-2008, 01:36 AM

Get the Frantz or Motorguard hands down. That's the best filtration you can get. Only downside is you gotta change the toilet paper often, like every 3500 miles and putting the clamp back on can be a pita so if you get it, make sure you mount it in a good spot with long oil lines that reach to the ground. You only need one. Can be bought on ebay or www.wefilterit.com.

Edit: Found a couple pics I took:

I try to squeeze the crap out of the toilet paper before I throw it away (not good for the environment ).
Old 01-27-2008, 03:51 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by cwoflyboy
How do you like the Frantz setup? If memory serves me, aren't you supposed to run two units? Where did you mount them?
The Gulf Coast is sorta a big brother to the Frantz, you can use a roll of paper towels instead of TP. Gulf Coast doesn't say in their advertisements anymore that you can use paper towels (they used to say you could) but I talked to them and say you can either run their filter elements or the roll of paper towels. I ran paper towels on my boat for years. Did a great job.
Thanks and take care.
Dale cwoflyboy
I like my Frantz alot I only run one and it is hanging of of the passenger side battery hold down. I made a hanger for it. I have the return line on the oil fill tube on the front of the motor on the second gen 12 valves. At 3000 miles it still runs good as I can see the oil return when I open the oil fill cap. But I change it at 3000 miles just to give me something to do. I use John Wayne TP. Right now I have about 11,000 miles on the oil and plan to go to 17,000 and it is Dino oil.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:30 PM

I have better things to do than change my bypass filter every 3000 miles. I change my Oilguard filter and my oil 1 time a year. I am sure I could keep using the oil but I am not going to spend the time or money to have the oil tested. my milage is 12k-16k a year. I like the simplicity of just doing it once a year. The Oilguard filters to 1 micron. I have a frantz sitting on the shelf in my garage because it plugs up very quickly and is quite messy to change. The one I have is the TP filter( not the large paper towel filter) and it plugs up in 1000-1500 miles. It would probably be good for a gas engine.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lifer
I have better things to do than change my bypass filter every 3000 miles. I change my Oilguard filter and my oil 1 time a year. I am sure I could keep using the oil but I am not going to spend the time or money to have the oil tested. my milage is 12k-16k a year. I like the simplicity of just doing it once a year. The Oilguard filters to 1 micron. I have a frantz sitting on the shelf in my garage because it plugs up very quickly and is quite messy to change. The one I have is the TP filter( not the large paper towel filter) and it plugs up in 1000-1500 miles. It would probably be good for a gas engine.
I plan to put one of my old frantz on my tractor the engine is tired and muddies the oil I'm tempted to leave the old oil in and see what it takes to clean it.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

It won't really clean it up. As in clear, but if you take some off of the dip stick and rub it into your hand you will see that the oil is very clean and it wipes off with out leaving any stain on your hand.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the frantz works best but at 1,000 miles a week i went a different route , we are using luberfiner lf9750 bypass filters for the large trucks we just make a 0.70 orface in the 1/8 fitting that screws in the filter housing and return to a amsoil filler cap , this way you can check oil flow and when it plugs up it is time to change it
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Clayten
It won't really clean it up. As in clear, but if you take some off of the dip stick and rub it into your hand you will see that the oil is very clean and it wipes off with out leaving any stain on your hand.
I think it'll clean it up some...
Old 09-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by WRTN
Was the length of oil hose in the installation kit long enough to run to the filter and back to the engine or did you have to buy more oil hose?

I am getting ready to install this filter on my truck and I like your mount location. Makes for a LOT less mess when changing out the filter paper.

Also, did you have to drill holes for the mount bracket or were you able to use existing holes?

I have the DSS installed on my truck but it looks like there is enough room to mount there with the DSS installed.

How many paper filter changes have you done so far? Has this location for the mount worked out pretty good with respect to ease of access and any other issues with being mounted down low?
I didn't get the complete kit so I don't know how much hose they usually come with. I went to a local hydraulic shop and bought 16 feet (I think) of 300 degree 120 psi oil hose. I'm not sure exactly what the psi rating was but it was well over what normal oil pressure is; I know for sure it was 300 degree F rated hose though. I wouldn't risk trying 180 degree rated hose.

I had to drill two little holes in the front in order to mount the filter. I don't think there are any existing holes there. The location is GREAT. Changing the filter element is really easy and doesn't make a mess. I just unscrew the two bracket bolts from the truck and slide the canister off over an oil drain pan.

I also have a DSS steering stabilizer and it doesn't come close to touching the filter. Actually, it's even easier to change the filter now with the stabilizer because I can rest the top part on there while I change the filter instead of letting the hose hold the weight of it. I've done 4 or 5 filter changes so far. The filter isn't mounted that low. There's no clearance issues if that's what you're worried about because the metal bar that it's mounted to nicely protects the filter and I have the hose zip tied to the tranny cooler lines, so they don't hang any lower than stock.

Quick Reply: Bypass Oil Filter