12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

BUSTED!! (again) need a quieter muffler (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BUSTED!! (again) need a quieter muffler (long)

I guess this story actually started about a year ago when I bought my truck, I bought the truck bone stock &amp; one of my first mods was gettin' rid of anything slightly resembling a muffler, cat, etc. I loved the sound, but after a couple of months went by I was in town one night &amp; was heckling a powerchoke &amp; I guess I got on the old Cummins a little too hard &amp; Mr. super trooper, ( I won't mention any names) decided he didn't like my mufflerless truck nearly as good as I did &amp; 1 improper equipment ticket later I was on my way. <br><br>then a few months went by &amp; i went to a 4&quot; setup (see sig.) never had any complaints with the donaldson resonator (although it is still a little loud), then about a week ago a bunch of buddies and me decided since we hadn't seen mr. trooper around in awhile we'd rid ourselves of those pesky mufflers again, (bad idea) last night I was going into town to rent some movies, when all of the sudden I see blue lights everywhere, I pull over &amp; wouldn't you know my good old pal in blue! after telling the jack$*# that my exhaust from Rip Rook would be here any day (even let him listen to a voicemail on my phone from Rip) he decided to pull my tags anyway, what a guy after a few choice words &amp; such I called my cousin, who then brought me a muffler &amp; I put it on in a carwash parking lot, turns out one of my friends who happened to be with my cousin had been stopped by the same trooper for the same thing the same night, did he get a ticket???, no he gets a warning, after finding this out I really told mr. trooper what I thought of him &amp; believe it or not he ventured back down to earth with the rest of us &amp; I at least got my tags back. still got an improper equipment &amp; an illegal sunshading ticket, but at least I got my tags &amp; got to drive my baby home.<br> <br> sorry if I bored anyone, but the real reason I posted this is cuz I need a quieter muffler that's fairly inexpensive,mr. trooper let me slide last night, but told me it needed to be quieter &amp; i only ordered Rip's tailpipe, cuz his muffler is basically what I have, I need something similar to the sound of a Banks muffler, (but can't afford their Dynawhatever stuff) any ideas??? <br><br> thanks for any info., &amp; once again sorry for the long post, Sincerely, Dusty
Old 10-27-2002, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:BUSTED!! (again) need a quieter muffler (long)

Hi Dusty 96<br>You say you can't afford a Banks muffler but what's it going to cost you the next time? Not sure what the ticket will cost but add to that the cost of a tow plus your time including court and you might find that the Banks muffler is cheap in comparison! <br>I'm using an exhaust built for me by a local muffler shop and they used a 3.5 inch truck muffler. You can hear mine quite well but it does not draw attention. ;D I'm more worried about smoke which I can produce at Will - he's the guy riding his bike illegally - running stop lights etc. ;D
Old 10-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

[quote author=Bob Beauchaine I'm more worried about smoke which I can produce at Will - he's the guy riding his bike illegally - running stop lights etc. ;D<br>
<br>Boy old Will get's around don't he? ;D I have to keep a close eye on my truck, it has been known to close off that extra space on the right side when will is seen coming from behind@
Old 10-28-2002, 09:21 PM

Dusty,<br><br>You can get a Walker DynoMax welded round race muffler from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/<br><br>You can see more about them at the DynoMax website: http://www.dynomax.com/<br><br>I think there is even a rebate offer going on right now.<br>A straight through muffler like this should be fairly quiet (at least at partial throttle) with a nice deep tone at idle.<br><br>My presonal favorite is a FlowMaster, but they are more expensive: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10/productsf5.html<br><br>I'm getting ready to fab a 4&quot; system soon with a FM 30 series delta force race muffler.<br><br>You might go to your local truck parts store or farm supply and see what they have, might be a little cheaper. A larger/longer body would be quieter, maybe would help keep the cops off of you.<br><br>Vin
Old 10-30-2002, 05:33 PM

I am running a 4&quot; Muffler stack on my truck. A 48&quot; free flow muffler off of a 21/2 ton truck. Let me know if you are interested in it. It only ran me $40.00 so if you want the information. Ill look it up and post it. Thanks Don<br>
Old 11-01-2002, 08:11 PM

thanks for all the replies, this past wed. my Rip Rook tailpipe finally came in (didn't really take very long, but seemed like forever) I checked around a few local big truck shops for a longer resonator, but couldn't come up with anything, so I put my old Donaldson resonator back on w/the tailpipe ran all the way out the back &amp; man was i surprised at how quiet my truck is in the cab!!!! it'll still make a little racket outside, but not nearly enough to get me in trouble again. I definately like the pipe ran out behind the tire better, now I won't be spending all of my free time cleaning the soot off of my back wheel/tire/bedside/etc. thanks again for the replies<br> sincerely,Dusty